First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Day trip from Los Angeles to Holcomb Creek Trail outside of Big Bear, CA. Fantastic trail, great views, and great company!

IMG_1034.jpeg

IMG_1010.jpeg

IMG_1059.jpeg

IMG_4073.jpeg

IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1056.jpeg

IMG_4009.jpeg

IMG_4134.jpeg

IMG_1051.jpeg

IMG_1039.jpeg

IMG_1014.jpeg
Sponsored

Allagash27

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Ok, so today I was heading from western NC into Tennessee with the Jeep and the RPod and picked what I thought would be the easiest of 3 routes that google suggested. What I ended up on was Highway 129 "Tail of the Dragon". Holy crap. I know I can handle any road in the Jeep now. It was crazy. I had no idea what the heck that road was until I got to the other side and looked it up on the internet. There are photographers along the way taking pictures of all the bikers and sports cars. When they post the pictures from today, I will be the idiot driving the Jeep with a travel trailer on the scariest road in the Smokies LOL.

https://www.visitmysmokies.com/blog/smoky-mountains/tail-of-the-dragon-in-the-smoky-mountains/

https://129photos.com
I got duped by that road too. We had hiked the AT through the Smoky Mountain NP and were driving back to retrieve the car we left at Fontana Dam. Got near the start of that road and saw the sign "Fontana Village 23 Mi" I thought "Great, almost there." Nope! Over an hour to go those 23 miles in my old Jeep Liberty. Constantly being passed by sportbikes. Saw a couple serious crashes.

jeepnewbie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Wrangler Sport S, 08' Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
GE Aviation
Vehicle Showcase
Went to Ft. Fisher, NC and took the jeep to the beach. Had a blast and the kids loved it too. It’s nice to not have to cart all the gear around. Just open the doors and drop the stuff right there.

Had a fun time learning to drive my manual in the sand. I thought 4Hi would work but I was wrong. 4Lo in 2nd or 3rd gear worked quite well.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. IMG_1014
How busy is Fort Fisher compared to Carolina? Looks a lot less crowded, is this on a weekday? We’re checking it out this weekend.

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How busy is Fort Fisher compared to Carolina? Looks a lot less crowded, is this on a weekday? We’re checking it out this weekend.
I lived there for 7 years, the trick is to drive a little farther north and go to Topsail or Emerald Isle. During the week they are empty and on the weekends all the Marines used to go but now most aren’t allowed to go because of COVID restrictions so they are still not packed.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
This was on a Tuesday. It wasn’t that busy at all. There is also more beach at ft fisher so I’m sure if you wanted, you could keep going down until it was just you. Carolina beach isn’t all that big anymore due to the erosion and so I’m sure it fills up.

Ft Fisher is also cheaper, $20 for a weekday, $30 for a weekend, $90 for a season pass. I believe Carolina beach is like $50 or so.

It’s only another 20-30 mins further south and less crowded so it was an easy choice for us.

Enjoy and let me know if you have any further questions.

Sponsored

jeepnewbie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Wrangler Sport S, 08' Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
GE Aviation
Vehicle Showcase
This was on a Tuesday. It wasn’t that busy at all. There is also more beach at ft fisher so I’m sure if you wanted, you could keep going down until it was just you. Carolina beach isn’t all that big anymore due to the erosion and so I’m sure it fills up.

Ft Fisher is also cheaper, $20 for a weekday, $30 for a weekend, $90 for a season pass. I believe Carolina beach is like $50 or so.

It’s only another 20-30 mins further south and less crowded so it was an easy choice for us.

Enjoy and let me know if you have any further questions.
Ok, thanks. Yeah we're over the crowds at Carolina. And they've reduced the camp sites by half seems like. We spend a lot of time on Portsmouth Island, Fort Fisher seems like a nice/closer alternative for day trips. The Southport Ferry opens back up this Friday so we're going to check out Southport then jump on the ferry to Fisher. Should be fun.

Wicked Weasel

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL - Build date 06/18
Went to Ft. Fisher, NC and took the jeep to the beach. Had a blast and the kids loved it too. It’s nice to not have to cart all the gear around. Just open the doors and drop the stuff right there.

Had a fun time learning to drive my manual in the sand. I thought 4Hi would work but I was wrong. 4Lo in 2nd or 3rd gear worked quite well.
Nice. I go to the beach almost every week now since I can drive right to the spot I want. Like you its nice to have everything right there. I even have a changing room and shower that I bring so the kids can wash off before going home.

Surprised 4HI didnt work. I have an auto and no issues with 4HI. Did you let the air out of the tires? Maybe thats the difference.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. I go to the beach almost every week now since I can drive right to the spot I want. Like you its nice to have everything right there. I even have a changing room and shower that I bring so the kids can wash off before going home.

Surprised 4HI didnt work. I have an auto and no issues with 4HI. Did you let the air out of the tires? Maybe thats the difference.
Yeah I did, dropped them to 25 or so. I guess having a manual makes a big difference. I was there a few years back in my JK auto and 4 Hi was what I used. This time, 4 Hi just wasn’t cutting it. I used 4 Lo and it was perfect then. First time driving on sand like that with a stick though so it was different but not bad at all.

Sponsored

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Went to the beach with the JL.. attempted to surf fish for the first time..

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Did a trail in Huachuca Canyon, AZ. No flexy pics since I was solo. Probably not wise to do this solo, but there isn't much going on with the local clubs. This is what I would call an intermediate trail, bit I'm a bit of a wuss solo, lol.
20200729_121201.jpg
20200729_120800.jpg
20200729_120754.jpg
20200729_120653.jpg
20200729_115203.jpg
20200729_115144.jpg

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Did Poughkeepsie Gulch today. Got over the wall! (with a little winch help LOL)

If anyone wants to teach me how to fly fish in Gunnison next week, let me know :CWL: