What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Installed the Cobra 75 WXST CB Radio with the Cool Tech mount and 4' FireStick antenna. Had to mount it low (bottom hinge) to not scrape the antenna on the garage door, but seems to work fine. Added the quick disconnect just for grins. We'll see how long it takes for it to grow legs and walk off. Sure makes the rig look great regardless. Either way, I'm not intending to transmit 3 states over, just gab with other Jeepers with radios on or off the trail. I'll be surprised if anyone uses CB's any more. But if you do, look out for 'Snow Shoe' if you're riding somewhere in Colorado.

IMG_20200126_223715.jpg

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Installed the satin black front grille..
056.jpg
Wow your Jeep looks really good. The wheels tie everything in very well. I have the same satin grille but for some reason it looks better on your setup.

....and the hood "Jeep" looks great(might have to steal that idea).

Great job, looks awesome.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Installed the Cobra 75 WXST CB Radio with the Cool Tech mount and 4' FireStick antenna. Had to mount it low (bottom hinge) to not scrape the antenna on the garage door, but seems to work fine. Added the quick disconnect just for grins. We'll see how long it takes for it to grow legs and walk off. Sure makes the rig look great regardless. Either way, I'm not intending to transmit 3 states over, just gab with other Jeepers with radios on or off the trail. I'll be surprised if anyone uses CB's any more. But if you do, look out for 'Snow Shoe' if you're riding somewhere in Colorado.

IMG_20200126_223715.jpg
Great idea to mount it on bottom hinge...didnt even think about that. Nice work! I may relocate mine to bottom hinge.

Still performs well?!

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Nice post. Mine did the same thing. I’m a beginner at best with soldering. Think I should give it a go or bring it to the dealer?
The dealer will order you a new rear glass(well, at least mine did). Was told it's very difficult to resolder that tab efficiently enough that it holds for any length of time.

Never one issue with that soldered tab after the new glass. Has been about 1½ years.

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
The dealer will order you a new rear glass(well, at least mine did). Was told it's very difficult to resolder that tab efficiently enough that it holds for any length of time.

Never one issue with that soldered tab after the new glass. Has been about 1½ years.
The dealer now repairs the wire vs. replacing the glass. At least, that was what my dealer told me when I got mine fixed.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great idea to mount it on bottom hinge...didnt even think about that. Nice work! I may relocate mine to bottom hinge.

Still performs well?!
Seems to, but still very preliminary. I'm receiving sporadic comms while in scan mode, but really clear. However I have not tried conversing with anyone yet. I just installed the radio. I'll likely have to cruise over to the interstate and request a radio check with truckers on ch 19. I suspect that I haven't helped my possible transmit range by mounting low. By how much I don't know.

I've read somewhere that for a typical CB mobile radio a 3' antenna has between a 2 to 3 mile range. A 4' is in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 and a 5 footer between 5 to 7. Certainly a lot of variables, especially in regards to the Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) tuning of the antenna and overall terrain you're driving within. I'm betting that mounting a 4' foot low reduces the transmit radius to that of a 3 footer, but retains the receiving characterstics of the 4. At least that's my rational (good or bad).

Overall mounting height of the antenna is however always the primary factor in effective range. For me conversing with other Jeepers, within a long stones through away, can almost be accomplished with a couple of cans and a long string. This CB install is likely a very good comfortable solution for that type of communications domain.

Making a long range conversation, I'll wager my cell phone would do a much better job.

Jay

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems to, but still very preliminary. I'm receiving sporadic comms while in scan mode, but really clear. However I have not tried conversing with anyone yet. I just installed the radio. I'll likely have to cruise over to the interstate and request a radio check with truckers on ch 19. I suspect that I haven't helped my possible transmit range by mounting low. By how much I don't know.

I've read somewhere that for a typical CB mobile radio a 3' antenna has between a 2 to 3 mile range. A 4' is in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 and a 5 footer between 5 to 7. Certainly a lot of variables, especially in regards to the Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) tuning of the antenna and overall terrain you're driving within. I'm betting that mounting a 4' foot low reduces the transmit radius to that of a 3 footer, but retains the receiving characterstics of the 4. At least that's my rational (good or bad).

Overall mounting height of the antenna is however always the primary factor in effective range. For me conversing with other Jeepers, within a long stones through away, can almost be accomplished with a couple of cans and a long string. This CB install is likely a very good comfortable solution for that type of communications domain.

Making a long range conversation, I'll wager my cell phone would do a much better job.

Jay
The cell phone will work better, of course with the caveat that you're within cell tower (line-of-sight) coverage. Likely not happening while 4-wheelin with yours friends in the middle of nowhere. So hence my investment in this CB.

And of course the local Jeep club requires one.

If I had my choice, I would have preferred a General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) radio with a much further range. But those require an FCC license (no written test), but still require the government fee, and are even less popular on the road.

So the low mounted CB antenna is, I admit, a relatively good compromise.

Jay

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

Jay
You tuned the antenna correct?

Brmbll007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara in Fire cracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
Drove it to the mecca to have a lift installed

upload_2020-1-24_10-24-55.png

upload_2020-1-24_10-25-24.png

(it unfortunately will not look like this when done....but still red!)

Getting a Game Changer 2.5" installed by the folks who know it best.
What tube fenders are those?

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Installed the following over the last few months:
1) rough country low profile 30” light bar
2) rough country MLC-6 switch controller
3) Radonair short antenna
4) rear cup holder
5) rubicon tires and wheels
6) Quadratec spare tire brake light ring

Having fun!

012819A6-312E-4A4F-BCFE-C17F8C18BCCA.jpeg

0B49913C-E7E4-44C9-A64B-CC9892D9312B.jpeg

FEBFB5E7-95E2-473A-841F-D5B1BFD9051D.jpeg

90EAE1B1-FCAA-4600-A965-AD9ABBE79D25.jpeg

DD4EB37D-A1B4-4131-B37D-85701CD47BB6.jpeg

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You tuned the antenna correct?
Honestly still working on that. I don't (yet) own an SWR meter, but there is an extremely well regarded CB radio shop (Summit Radio) nearby in Commerce City CO near Denver where I bought the Cobra 75 wx st unit. Unfortunately they only had hood or fender mounting kits. I was really set on the JL tailgate hinge offerring from CoolTech. So they've agreed to help me tune it all. Most of their business is (obviously) over-the-road truckers. But they were very interested in my installation ideas and wanted to see the result.

I'll report back with a much more professional opinion sometme soon. Hopefully I'll find the time to drive over there in the next day or two.

So until then, I'm not anxious to be too chatty. At least not over 26.965 to 27.405 Mhz.

Jay

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Honestly still working on that. I don't (yet) own an SWR meter, but there is an extremely well regarded CB radio shop (Summit Radio) nearby in Commerce City CO near Denver where I bought the Cobra 75 wx st unit. Unfortunately they only had hood or fender mounting kits. I was really set on the JL tailgate hinge offerring from CoolTech. So they've agreed to help me tune it all. Most of their business is (obviously) over-the-road truckers. But they were very interested in my installation ideas and wanted to see the result.

I'll report back with a much more professional opinion sometme soon. Hopefully I'll find the time to drive over there in the next day or two.

So until then, I'm not anxious to be too chatty. At least not over 26.965 to 27.405 Mhz.

Jay
You can get an SWR meter for about $25. Easy to tune (even i can do it. lol)