DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the satin black front grille..
056.jpg
Nice Jeep! Let's see the YJ! My first Jeep was a 93. I've been kicking myself since selling it in 03! Love the YJ!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I attempted to install the Katzkin leather seats.

It took me one hour to do each front headrest. The front driver side seat seat back took a good 3 hours. The hardest part is getting your hand in there to clamp the hog rings closed, pulling the leather down, and getting the entire piece to snap together. It is definitely a lot harder than the do-it-yourself videos suggest.

I am pretty good with my hands, and I don’t mind spending the time as long as the end result turns out good. In this case I can’t say it does: the headrests look fine, but the leather on the front seatback isn’t tight and nicely stretched out.
pulling%20hair.gif

I am stopping here and taking it to an installer to do it right.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Did my first warranty repair. The rear window defroster solder broke so I fixed it and put a little preventive measure in place to keep it from doing it again. If it does pop the solder again, no big deal as it's about a 15 minute fix.

IMG_1066.jpeg

IMG_1069.jpeg
Nice post. Mine did the same thing. I’m a beginner at best with soldering. Think I should give it a go or bring it to the dealer?

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Flipped the rear adjustable track bar so the bend was above the diff and not down. Then dialed it in a few turns and finally have the ass centered.

Installed MC rear diff cover. Pretty nice.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Nice post. Mine did the same thing. I’m a beginner at best with soldering. Think I should give it a go or bring it to the dealer?
I used to solder circuit boards and lots of electronics back before we could afford wave solderers and other tech. To do this, I first loaded up some solder on the back of the small terminal so there would be something to melt. Then I placed the terminal on the window, applied heat with the solder iron, and it soldered back in place.

Unfortunately, as seems to be a trend with the dealerships, it seems they mess this repair up too. But if you're not great at soldering I would still probably go the dealer route for a couple of reasons.

One, the tiny terminal has to be positioned and then a solder tip placed in the center to both heat it up and hold it in place until the solder melts. And you're holding it over your head under the glass. It's awkward. Once you see the solder melt you have to use another tool to hold in place so you can remove the solder iron and give it time to cool. I used a pocket knife but small needle nose pliers would've probably been better. Regardless, very awkward and it could get messy.

Two, it has to be soldered very quickly as it creates a 450F hot spot on the glass... not good if the rest of the glass is cool. It would be very easy to break the glass with the heat. Even when I did mine, you could barely touch the glass on the outside once finished.

Because I'm not always smart and I had to do it right away and it was 39F in our parking garage when I did mine, it was probably more luck than skill that I didn't break it. But I was fast and it didn't break and now it is fixed.

EagleJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sarge Green Willys
Occupation
UPS
The install was easy once I got the parts that mount to the engine mount figured out. It took me about an hour. Everything fit fine. I did it with the Jeep on the ground. It's heavier than I thought being aluminum. Should hold up fine. I'd like to add the trasfer case skid at some point.
Very nice! This is on my wish list. So what's the review? How was the fit? Is it heavy? Can you install on the ground or do you need a lift?

Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I used to solder circuit boards and lots of electronics back before we could afford wave solderers and other tech. To do this, I first loaded up some solder on the back of the small terminal so there would be something to melt. Then I placed the terminal on the window, applied heat with the solder iron, and it soldered back in place.

Unfortunately, as seems to be a trend with the dealerships, it seems they mess this repair up too. But if you're not great at soldering I would still probably go the dealer route for a couple of reasons.

One, the tiny terminal has to be positioned and then a solder tip placed in the center to both heat it up and hold it in place until the solder melts. And you're holding it over your head under the glass. It's awkward. Once you see the solder melt you have to use another tool to hold in place so you can remove the solder iron and give it time to cool. I used a pocket knife but small needle nose pliers would've probably been better. Regardless, very awkward and it could get messy.

Two, it has to be soldered very quickly as it creates a 450F hot spot on the glass... not good if the rest of the glass is cool. It would be very easy to break the glass with the heat. Even when I did mine, you could barely touch the glass on the outside once finished.

Because I'm not always smart and I had to do it right away and it was 39F in our parking garage when I did mine, it was probably more luck than skill that I didn't break it. But I was fast and it didn't break and now it is fixed.
To the dealer I go thanks for the background

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Installed some mudflaps. I only got the front done today and will knock out the rear tomorrow. I was not super happy with the price vs looks of most of the mudflap options for JL Rubicons, so I got a set of universal Rally Armor flaps and made them fit. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

20200126_161956.jpg

20200126_155335.jpg

20200126_162004.jpg

20200126_162011.jpg

20200126_162021.jpg