First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi, 2015 GMC Sierra, 1964 Chevy Chevelle Malibu SS Convertible
Occupation
Electrical/ Controls Engineer
I solved my biggest complaint about my Jeep. The awful backup lights. I was looking for a clean solution that didn't look tacked on to the back of the Jeep and thought it'd be nice if I could install a removable backup light in the trailer hitch. I couldn't find a product on the market that I liked, and I was bored and felt like being a machinist for a day (no offense to machinists with real skills!), so I cobbled this up. All it took was an aluminum "DIY blank logo plate" for trailer hitches that I found on eBay, some 3/8" ABS Plastic from McMaster a little 6mm high density foam (anti-rattle/pretension) a 2.5" hole saw, a Dremel tool with cutting discs and an 8/32 tap. I used the Baja Designs S1 surface mounted LED with "work/scene" profile. I wired it with a connector directly into the backup light circuit of the trailer harness so that I can unplug it for towing (which I'm likely to do almost never with this vehicle anyway). I also used a locking hitch pin to discourage theft. I think the results look pretty decent - and MUCH better backup lighting.

Here it is in the dark. I waited for the best shot with the wind/exhaust steam. It's dark rainy and dreary here tonight, My driveway is 16 feet wide and about 50' long and it's pretty much all lit up. I think I couldn't ask for much more. I might make one for my pickup truck as well!

10.jpg

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

HUGE improvement - very very impress - great job

Maybe go into production?

73CJto19JL

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi, 2015 GMC Sierra, 1964 Chevy Chevelle Malibu SS Convertible
Occupation
Electrical/ Controls Engineer
HUGE improvement - very very impress - great job

Maybe go into production?
No, my 9 to 5 is too busy (more like 6-6 lately) and this is something most of the guys here could do themselves anyway :) Someone with real production facilities could turn this into something pretty nice though!

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
I solved my biggest complaint about my Jeep. The awful backup lights. I was looking for a clean solution that didn't look tacked on to the back of the Jeep and thought it'd be nice if I could install a removable backup light in the trailer hitch. I couldn't find a product on the market that I liked, and I was bored and felt like being a machinist for a day (no offense to machinists with real skills!), so I cobbled this up. All it took was an aluminum "DIY blank logo plate" for trailer hitches that I found on eBay, some 3/8" ABS Plastic from McMaster a little 6mm high density foam (anti-rattle/pretension) a 2.5" hole saw, a Dremel tool with cutting discs and an 8/32 tap. I used the Baja Designs S1 surface mounted LED with "work/scene" profile. I wired it with a connector directly into the backup light circuit of the trailer harness so that I can unplug it for towing (which I'm likely to do almost never with this vehicle anyway). I also used a locking hitch pin to discourage theft. I think the results look pretty decent - and MUCH better backup lighting.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Great Job!

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Great job you should start selling it..How much lol

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective
First oil change. 1,435mi. Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic with Mopar filter. I love where the oil filter is located. No more tight place with a shitty filter wrench.

Mud Wasp

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hella Yella 2019 JLU, Copperhead Pearl 2014 JK
Occupation
Transportation
Vehicle Showcase
Took It out for pictures now that I had a chance too show off the DV8 products installed by Doetsch Off-road of Chandler, Arizona.

20200111_144736.jpg

20200111_144753.jpg

20200111_144812.jpg

20200111_144828.jpg

20200111_144956.jpg

20200111_145010.jpg

20200111_145031_LI.jpg

20200111_145119_LI.jpg

Last edited:

bbuck7777

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon Unlimited Turbo

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S. Silver/Tan
Replaced lug nuts with Gorilla locking lug nuts in black to match the wheels better.
Added the Done Right LED tailgate light bar.
Not posted a picture of this before, this is a custom order color match locking gas cap cover, painted to match billet silver.

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S. Silver/Tan
Curiously, what was the db's before the noico?

And I love the tan interior.....
Before I added the Noico, I was reading 78db at 70mph. I used an app on my phone and tested it at the same speed and on the same patch of freeway to get a real comparison. The boom mat brought it down another 2db but the Noico was the big difference. If you look at the pics, I completely stripped out the interior and covered every square inch from front to back.