First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
If the original set-up has no drain, one would wonder as why to add one... If any water - whether that would be fog, rain, or because of a crossing - would get in the inlet, that would get sucked in to the engine anyway. In that way it is no different from any other inlet.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I am so getting this kit in a few months. I want to paint this piece body color, Ocean blue for me, it will make it look like this panel just belongs. Not sure why colors to apply to the rest of it, if any. I am sure I will see many great examples before I get my turn at this project.

Thanks for posting pictures. How was it connecting to existing Air box? Did you have to plug drain holes? Do they provide plugs?
Maybe something like this?
I am so getting this kit in a few months. I want to paint this piece body color, Ocean blue for me, it will make it look like this panel just belongs. Not sure why colors to apply to the rest of it, if any. I am sure I will see many great examples before I get my turn at this project.

Thanks for posting pictures. How was it connecting to existing Air box? Did you have to plug drain holes? Do they provide plugs?

IMG-20190118-WA0052.jpg

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If the original set-up has no drain, one would wonder as why to add one... If any water - whether that would be fog, rain, or because of a crossing - would get in the inlet, that would get sucked in to the engine anyway. In that way it is no different from any other inlet.
The original box has drains. Also, I have found water in my air box after a water crossing, having a snorkel and the airbox drain holes sealed.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

IMG-20190118-WA0052.jpg
More like this:
IMG_0362.JPG

Don't plan to do the upper part now, too expensive... So replace the sting grey with Ocean Blue and it looks good to me. Red trim, black vent. Nice!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Shined her up extra good. Im in full pavement princess mode.......:giggle:. Probably be doing some designated driving tonight, or technically tomorrow morning......:).... can’t have the ladies getting mud on their dresses.....;).

34469904-95D0-47ED-B067-01B9DB1DC488.jpeg

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd
Occupation
Construction Manager
Nice wheels, these are my choice as well. Quick question, I've been flip/flopping on the rock-ring. Does it look like it will actually provide stem protection or just vanity? I can see more of the stem then I expected
ADE58A76-BFB1-4C9A-8CDA-62426D5A0C62.jpeg

FDA281B6-D43B-4066-AAFC-6F0D81797B92.jpeg

7B73A252-1034-4D11-86DA-2C079461481D.jpeg

F397C29B-DC88-4E33-8B6F-4B24505F4CCA.jpeg

Army68F20

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Dropped it off at the dealership so hopefully they can find out what’s causing the knock in the drivetrain.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
The original box has drains. Also, I have found water in my air box after a water crossing, having a snorkel and the airbox drain holes sealed.
Thanks, good to know :)
I'd like to see a design (without snorkel) flush with the panel though. Maybe I should buy the low RR version, and modify the original panel to my likes.
Edit.JPG

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just gonna leave this here...

142328A1-19EB-4F65-A350-78290338A3CB.jpeg
I'm gonna leave this here:
https://www.captiveaire.com/MANUALS/AIRSYSTEMDESIGN/DESIGNAIRSYSTEMS.HTM

TLDR - Here's the short version. Adding twists and turns to any airflow system kills the efficiency of said system. There are a lot of turns in that setup.

Analogy: Take a common plastic straw (if you can find one) Suck some air in. Then bend the straw 90deg and suck some air in. That will get my point across.

Conclusion: A snorkel is not for me, YMMV. Happy Jeeping.:)

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

TLDR - Here's the short version. Adding twists and turns to any airflow system kills the efficiency of said system. There are a lot of turns in that setup.

Analogy: Take a common plastic straw (if you can find one) Suck some air in. Then bend the straw 90deg and suck some air in. That will get my point across.

Bending a straw at 90 degrees will collapse the straw and make it nearly impossible to breath through whereas the system maintains the same diameter even through the bends so your argument is flawed. Yes the longer and more bends an intake/exhaust have make it more difficult for the engine to breath, however snorkels have been used on plenty of applications, including military vehicles and work just as intended.

Willcbooth

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2015 Lexus GS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase

Well of course if you bend the straw and don’t leave an opening it will be harder to draw in air. But just like this snorkel, bend the straw at a bend point with no crease and it makes no difference.
I have actually seen a very slight increase in my fuel efficiency most likely because it is actually drawing in more cool air than from the previous intake location of the wheel well and grille. If it’s not for you, it’s not for you. There are plenty of people that have really liked the RR snorkel since it first appeared, and I just thought I would show everyone it’s real life application and installation on my Jeep before they start shipping it off at the end of this month.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
In many engines water is additionally injected for cooling and indirect power increase, for instance in dragracing, and in the past even in aviation.

Edit: there even seems to be a Wiki page about it :)