What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

JxRYE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ-7 Renegade, 2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
It isn't what I did to my jeep, but what the dealership did to my jeep. I took her in for an oil change, tire rotation, squeeky breaks, a bad key fob, and a recall on the steering stabilizer. I left the dealership with my daughter in the car and once I hit 30 my jeep fish tailed, scaring us pretty good. Thought maybe I hit a wet patch or something, but that had never happened before. Got up to about 30 and it happened again. Turned around to head back to the dealership, and called my wife to come back. They explained that a couple of the bolts were lose (and that they should not have been loosened in the first place), but I was good to go. Luckily I made my daughter ride with my wife. On the way home I noticed something didn't feel right. Thinking perhaps it was wind and rain. I made a slow turn and got the death wobble (that was a first). So luckily I was worried and only going about 30 in a 55 zone, and all the traffic around me had passed. When I heard a loud bang, my car started bouncing, I lost control and skid back and forth on the highway, gained some control and got off the highway. My wheel had completely come off the jeep.
Jeep Dealers response this morning was "We didn't touch your wheels"
My response "How did you fix my breaks and rotate my tires without removing my wheels"
Jeep "I am sorry sir, there is no work order for the breaks or tire rotation. We have cameras and unfortunately your car was out of their view."
Me "Well good for me that I have the memory stick from my blackview camera here with me. I will let you know what I find as soon as I get the player loaded on my work computer."
15 minutes later they call back
Jeep "Sir we wanted to let you know we got to the bottom of it. I called the guys in and told them the customer had a camera in the vehicle, and I need to know what happened. I found out who worked on the car. They made an unintentional mistake when rotating your wheels. We will order you a new wheel, tire, and do a full inspection and fix and replace anything else that was damaged"
I am still cooling down, so have not decided how else to proceed (suggestions!?).. At this point I don't trust them at all. I know that I will be taking her to a mechanic I trust when they are done.
(side story: after we got home and I was changing out of wet clothes, my youngest daughter started screaming bloody murder. Her sister came up from behind her and spun the chair throwing her out. We spent the rest of the night in the ER with her and a broken Clavicle.

Tought to see, but somehow the wheel stayed in the wheel well completely detached.

Thanks everyone. My daughter will be fine, couple of weeks in a sling, and trying to keep her brother and sister from being too rough with her. I have been advised (buddy who is a lawyer) not to mention the name of the dealership, until I am done dealing with the dealership.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Thanks everyone. My daughter will be fine, couple of weeks in a sling, and trying to keep her brother and sister from being too rough with her. I have been advised (buddy who is a lawyer) not to mention the name of the dealership, until I am done dealing with the dealership.
I'm just glad that I don't live in Florida. I don't want to take a chance of going to this dealership. That story sums up why no one trusts dealerships anymore.

Hava-Jeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Huntington Beach, CA / Lake Havasu City, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon,
Occupation
Retired
It isn't what I did to my jeep, but what the dealership did to my jeep. I took her in for an oil change, tire rotation, squeeky breaks, a bad key fob, and a recall on the steering stabilizer. I left the dealership with my daughter in the car and once I hit 30 my jeep fish tailed, scaring us pretty good. Thought maybe I hit a wet patch or something, but that had never happened before. Got up to about 30 and it happened again. Turned around to head back to the dealership, and called my wife to come back. They explained that a couple of the bolts were lose (and that they should not have been loosened in the first place), but I was good to go. Luckily I made my daughter ride with my wife. On the way home I noticed something didn't feel right. Thinking perhaps it was wind and rain. I made a slow turn and got the death wobble (that was a first). So luckily I was worried and only going about 30 in a 55 zone, and all the traffic around me had passed. When I heard a loud bang, my car started bouncing, I lost control and skid back and forth on the highway, gained some control and got off the highway. My wheel had completely come off the jeep.
Jeep Dealers response this morning was "We didn't touch your wheels"
My response "How did you fix my breaks and rotate my tires without removing my wheels"
Jeep "I am sorry sir, there is no work order for the breaks or tire rotation. We have cameras and unfortunately your car was out of their view."
Me "Well good for me that I have the memory stick from my blackview camera here with me. I will let you know what I find as soon as I get the player loaded on my work computer."
Jeep "Sir we wanted to let you know we got to the bottom of it. I called the guys in and told them the customer had a camera in the vehicle, and I need to know what happened. I found out who worked on the car. They made an unintentional mistake when rotating your wheels. We will order you a new wheel, tire, and do a full inspection and fix and replace anything else that was damaged"
I am still cooling down, so have not decided how else to proceed (suggestions!?).. At this point I don't trust them at all. I know that I will be taking her to a mechanic I trust when they are done.
(side story: after we got home and I was changing out of wet clothes, my youngest daughter started screaming bloody murder. Her sister came up from behind her and spun the chair throwing her out. We spent the rest of the night in the ER with her and a broken Clavicle.

Tought to see, but somehow the wheel stayed in the wheel well completely detached.

IMG_7670.jpg

IMG_7671.jpg
Wow!!! I’m speechless! COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
....but?

....your ground plain?

How are you grounding it?
I guess it's not!!! I will run a ground strap ASAP. But I was still able to pick up and communicate with others.....

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
What was your SWR reading?
Couldn't tell ya, never measured it..... don't have a meter....probably gonna have to borrow one from someone or get one...I guess a good thing is I don't have the cb on for long periods of time (minutes at the most to let others know about road hazards ahead)) then I shut it off due to little chatter on the cb, and not daily....only gonna use it for runs this Summer... But I will get a ground strap on tomorrow for sure....I will be curious to see the difference.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!:like:

brbutler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 6-speed, 2016 VW GTI 6-speed, 1984 Porsche 928S 5-speed
That shoddy work is inexcusable. Glad it wasn't worse. I was witness to a wheel coming off a pickup truck on the interstate, the wheel jumped the divider and went through the windshield of an oncoming car, killing the unsuspecting driver.

A few years ago, I helped my sister get new tires for her car. They were needed urgently as one was about to fail and she was leaving for a trip the next day. The only place that could do the work that Friday night was a WalMart (or maybe Sears) tire shop. I must say I was impressed that after the tech installed the wheels and torqued the lug nuts with a proper torque wrench, a second tech went around and checked torque on all lug nuts again. I asked, and they said it was their policy to have a second tech check the work of the first. I would not have expected that level of QC at such a shop. Dealers should be so diligent.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I am so close to pulling the trigger on these.. good choice. Do you have any more photo's you could share of them?
I've got the LOD destroyer which is a bit different but the quality and fit is fantastic. I would have zero hesitations over buying LOD. Also have the front and rear bumpers and equally great quality.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just glad that I don't live in Florida. I don't want to take a chance of going to this dealership. That story sums up why no one trusts dealerships anymore.
And here I am just glad that I don’t live in Texas. Crazy how the world works ain’t it!

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
That is a horrible story and I am glad everyone is okay. Never get your vehicle serviced on Friday the 13th by a technician on drugs !