landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You first remove the insulation by pulling out the 10 or 12 plastic pins.
Then pop out the fake hood louvers.
Install Insulation back in with the pins.
Install new hood louver that will sandwich the insulation between it. Need to poke the bolts through the insulation from the top of hood.
Then razor blade cut out the insulation on the inside of the louver.
I'll make a video of it and post it in a few days.
Thanks

BCassels

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like it is currently unavailable. The EAG part number is JJLFB021 - Google searches will give you some results. You might be able to find stock. Good luck!
Oh bummer! Iā€™ll be on the lookout! Thanks!

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
You first remove the insulation by pulling out the 10 or 12 plastic pins.
Then pop out the fake hood louvers.
Install Insulation back in with the pins.
Install new hood louver that will sandwich the insulation between it. Need to poke the bolts through the insulation from the top of hood.
Then razor blade cut out the insulation on the inside of the louver.
I'll make a video of it and post it in a few days.
Is this better than just cutting off the bottom of the plastic louvre panels and cutting a matching hole in the insulation? Iā€™m sure it looks better from the underside of the hood and the insulation is more solid and wonā€™t flap. It looks to keep the water out better?

Scott

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

With the lights finally working
371D3173-6D20-4CB5-8913-CC0B28464D26.jpeg
405A6102-55A3-4FD0-9928-24AC2EF1DED0.jpeg
Installed the Rough Country switch panel. GREAT product - perfect instructions. As good as the Mopar Aux switch, $100 cheaper and two more switches

9A5E8C91-5A35-4BAD-88FC-B0591DEF4113.jpeg

Need to work on my photo skills

7B6529C9-F396-47F0-BE3D-6D241F7D3561.jpeg

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I finished installing my ACE JL Standalone Tire Carrier! (but forgot to take pictures)

The lack of instructions was frustrating, but I found with their install video and several other videos, <especially the one about getting the license plate light from the passenger tail light>, along with the wiring diagrams here to ensure I was tapping the correct wires, made it workable.

For the wiring, I tapped the white/orange stripe wire on the vehicle side of the harness to the Passenger taillight for + and the black wire on the same harness for -. I ran that up through the grommet and then along the factory harness, through the canvas sleeve to the tailgate and out the vent. For the brake, I purchased the quadratec brake light ring with factory connections and tapped that instead of the factory. I needed more length for the camera, so I ended up slicing open the factory grommet to free the video line and give me enough slack.

For the install itself, I had a few goofs and did a few things well, and ran into some minor issues with prior mods.
Self Kudos:
  • I gave myself enough wire length that I can run the connector from the license plate connector through the wheel to the back of the carrier. This way I don't have to worry about damaging the wiring while lugging a massive tire up onto the carrier.
  • I put down a bit of grease on the hinge joints as I put them in to ensure they had at least a base level of grease before filling the rest of the cylinder at the end of the install.
  • I checked that the wiring worked prior to closing things up!!!! Surprisingly, it all worked the first time
  • I involved my son (12), having him help me troublshoot the issues. He feels like its part his Jeep now! Some of his ideas were BAD!!!! I just talked him through rather than telling him how bad they were.
Goofs:
  • I tightened down the 6 body bolts on the hinges to snug as I installed them. These need to be "loose" or you won't be able to get the hinge joints on the carrier to seat all the way. Figuring this out took a lot of frustration. (My son's suggestion was to drill out the hole bigger so it would fit...I knew that was wrong. :)
  • I opened the door to get something out of the back after loosening up the 6 body bolts. Tailgate was no longer aligned...at all.
  • My wheel opening is not large enough to go over the square tube & the friction bold that holds the plate adapter to the carrier. Learning this while holding a 100+ lb 34" wheel really REALLY sucks.
Minor issues with other mods
  • I had the cooltech CB mount on the Jeep. The ACE install requires reusing the factory hinge bolts. I'd luckily saved them as the cooltech ones would have been too long.
  • The location of the antenna mount is also about 4" further from the grommet hole that I ran the antenna through. I had to untape and zip tie CB antenna line almost all the way up to the front to get enough slack, then re tie them. That was the worst part of this install!
Overall I'm now quite happy with it. I have rotopax mounts on order and got 1 gas and 1 storage.

Next on the list...Rancho front diff skid. Was going to do that today, but instead I had to take a long lunch to change the battery on our Accord. BOO! Not as fun.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I finished installing my ACE JL Standalone Tire Carrier! (but forgot to take pictures)

The lack of instructions was frustrating, but I found with their install video and several other videos, <especially the one about getting the license plate light from the passenger tail light>, along with the wiring diagrams here to ensure I was tapping the correct wires, made it workable.

For the wiring, I tapped the white/orange stripe wire on the vehicle side of the harness to the Passenger taillight for + and the black wire on the same harness for -. I ran that up through the grommet and then along the factory harness, through the canvas sleeve to the tailgate and out the vent. For the brake, I purchased the quadratec brake light ring with factory connections and tapped that instead of the factory. I needed more length for the camera, so I ended up slicing open the factory grommet to free the video line and give me enough slack.

For the install itself, I had a few goofs and did a few things well, and ran into some minor issues with prior mods.
Self Kudos:
  • I gave myself enough wire length that I can run the connector from the license plate connector through the wheel to the back of the carrier. This way I don't have to worry about damaging the wiring while lugging a massive tire up onto the carrier.
  • I put down a bit of grease on the hinge joints as I put them in to ensure they had at least a base level of grease before filling the rest of the cylinder at the end of the install.
  • I checked that the wiring worked prior to closing things up!!!! Surprisingly, it all worked the first time
  • I involved my son (12), having him help me troublshoot the issues. He feels like its part his Jeep now! Some of his ideas were BAD!!!! I just talked him through rather than telling him how bad they were.
Goofs:
  • I tightened down the 6 body bolts on the hinges to snug as I installed them. These need to be "loose" or you won't be able to get the hinge joints on the carrier to seat all the way. Figuring this out took a lot of frustration. (My son's suggestion was to drill out the hole bigger so it would fit...I knew that was wrong. :)
  • I opened the door to get something out of the back after loosening up the 6 body bolts. Tailgate was no longer aligned...at all.
  • My wheel opening is not large enough to go over the square tube & the friction bold that holds the plate adapter to the carrier. Learning this while holding a 100+ lb 34" wheel really REALLY sucks.
Minor issues with other mods
  • I had the cooltech CB mount on the Jeep. The ACE install requires reusing the factory hinge bolts. I'd luckily saved them as the cooltech ones would have been too long.
  • The location of the antenna mount is also about 4" further from the grommet hole that I ran the antenna through. I had to untape and zip tie CB antenna line almost all the way up to the front to get enough slack, then re tie them. That was the worst part of this install!
Overall I'm now quite happy with it. I have rotopax mounts on order and got 1 gas and 1 storage.

Next on the list...Rancho front diff skid. Was going to do that today, but instead I had to take a long lunch to change the battery on our Accord. BOO! Not as fun.
No pics? Then I guess it really didn't happen, now did it??? :LOL:

I ordered this myself last weekend and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. How long did the install take you from start to finish?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Finished tailgate Rotopax mount. It now carries 3rd. stoplight, license plate, backup camera and aux. LED backup light. And of course two 2.5 gal.fuel cells.
JL trailgate.jpg
JL rotopax 2.jpg

Love the departure/drop off ledge angle. No stinger needed here. Stock 33's look really small with Mopar lift. Waiting on back ordered 37's :ontheloo:

Last edited:

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
281ADCCF-76EF-4FCE-B2BC-F09A58F52C57.jpeg
No pics? Then I guess it really didn't happen, now did it??? :LOL:

I ordered this myself last weekend and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. How long did the install take you from start to finish?
I did it over two nights. Including the researching youtube videos, goofs and the explanations of why we should not do some stuff and allowing my son to mess some things up so he learns, I'd say 8-10 hours. If I'd only used him in the couple of places where two people are helpful, I think I would have cut 2 or so hours off. 4 hours were spent on the wiring because I wanted to be sure it was right before I moved on, and I wanted to keep everything going through factory routing. I used weatherproof butt splices (the ones with glue and heat-shrink, as well as an outer heatshrink sleeve to go around the whole connection. I also used a heat gun and saved the little body colored stickers, and that took way to long to save, but I'm happy with the result. They just stuck right back on when I was done!

Last edited:

Kona Damien

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Rubicon and ā€˜13 Grand Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
Meh. Not much, took the doors off and repaired a scratch with some touch up paint I picked up at the dealership.

Reactions: RTJ