Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
After a little over a year of ownership, I finally got new tires for the Jeep. They are BFGoodrich KO2 light truck tires with a D load range. I was mildly concerned about a possible harsh ride with these 8 ply-rated tires, but the fact is they actually improved the ride of the Jeep and all the annoying bouncing I used to get with the stock Bridgestone all-terrains is gone! :like:
BFG recommended a cold PSI of 46 for these tires on a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and after doing the chalk test, it indicated that was very close to being right on the money. However, the chalk test did reveal that the tires were very slightly overinflated at that pressure so I lowered them to 43 PSI and that looks just about perfect. All the chalk disappears at that tire pressure. :)

jeep_bfg_1_1200.jpg

jeep_bfg_2.jpg

jeep_bfg_3.jpg

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
After a little over a year of ownership, I finally got new tires for the Jeep. They are BFGoodrich KO2 light truck tires with a D load range. I was mildly concerned about a possible harsh ride with these 8 ply-rated tires, but the fact is they actually improved the ride of the Jeep and all the annoying bouncing I used to get with the stock Bridgestone all-terrains is gone! :like:
BFG recommended a cold PSI of 46 for these tires on a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and after doing the chalk test, it indicated that was very close to being right on the money. However, the chalk test did reveal that the tires were very slightly overinflated at that pressure so I lowered them to 43 PSI and that looks just about perfect. All the chalk disappears at that tire pressure. :)

jeep_bfg_1_1200.jpg

jeep_bfg_2.jpg

jeep_bfg_3.jpg
Holy crap that’s a lot of pressure. I think Jeep recommends 37 and I ran 32 with those tires.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap that’s a lot of pressure. I think Jeep recommends 37 and I ran 32 with those tires.
Jeep recommends 36 PSI with the passenger car tires the Sahara and Sport models come with. I believe the KO2 tires the Rubicon used to come with (Jeep has switched to Falken mud tires) were C-rated. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The maximum tire pressure on these 18" D-rated tires is 65 PSI and as I said, these tires at 43 PSI generate a perfect chalk test result and a much better ride than my previous Bridgestone Duellers @ 36 PSI. ;)

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There seems to be varying opinions of tire pressure. Some swear by the door jam recommendations, some swear by low 40s, some swear by low 30s. Best to try all 3, test drive, choose the best.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There seems to be varying opinions of tire pressure. Some swear by the door jam recommendations, some swear by low 40s, some swear by low 30s. Best to try all 3, test drive, choose the best.
The thing that some may not understand is that the factory "door jamb" recommendations only apply to the same load rating and size tires the vehicle came equipped with. If you change either (or both), the numbers on the door jamb sticker are often meaningless. If your vehicle came with 32" passenger car-rated tires and you end up with 40" D or E-rated tires on it, the factory tire pressure recommendations can't possibly have any relevance to the significantly larger, heavier truck tires you've mounted.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The thing that some may not understand is that the factory "door jamb" recommendations only apply to the same load rating and size tires the vehicle came equipped with. If you change either (or both), the numbers on the door jamb sticker are often meaningless. If your vehicle came with 32" passenger car-rated tires and you end up with 40" D or E-rated tires on it, the factory tire pressure recommendations can't possibly have any relevance to the significantly larger, heavier truck tires you've mounted.
That's true. I was referring to the other tire pressure threads where they are talking about the factory tires.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i run the stock falkin M/Ts about 34 cold and they bump to about 38-39 on long highway drives when warm

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Reinstalled mine this past weekend. Here is a picture on both sides. I think mine is a little closer fitting, but not a whole lot. Maybe check with BestTop on fit.

upload_2019-6-24_19-43-41.jpeg

upload_2019-6-24_19-43-57.jpeg
Talked to Jasmine at Bestop a few minutes ago. She asked that I send her a picture and my purchase invoice. So we'll see what happens from here.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Here’s another option to consider too. Mild lift, but with springs. I am planning to install this one, I have the 1.5 inch from Teraflex now, but want tuned springs and shocks.
https://www.dynatrac.com/lift-kit-for-jeep-wrangler-jl-2.html
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-2-lift-also-fixed-my-steering-issues.16480/

Thanks for this. I see those are also the Fox shocks... from what I understand those are one of the best.

I’ve got the Enduro sport lift. Not much different from stock IMO. For the price I don’t know if I’d recommend it.
Can you please explain why you wouldn’t? Because if it rides like stock, given the higher ride heights, isn’t that a good thing? I’m contemplating which kit to get... apologies if dumb questions.