First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Looks like a stalwart companion, and a formidable manager of project perimeter security. Bull Mastiff?
She is an American Mastiff actually. She's the best.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I got the 6db gain Midland antenna also and a magnetic mount. The antenna that comes with the MXT275 is very short. You could just leave it up all the time. The 6db antenna is much longer, but still half the length of CB so I'm happy. So yes LENGTH definitely matters..... I'll unscrew it from magnetic base when I'm m not using it and put some type of cover over base and leave base on roof rack. I received 15% off using FARM15 code on Midlands website and was happy. Now they are having a 20% off sale. Not sure it gets a lot better.... Maybe Black Friday. They also have a 40W mobile unit. I wanted the power, but Jeep has minimal space available for mounting so I went with 15W unit where all the controls are on mic. There's also GMRS privacy codes that I think allow you to talk to someone with much much less chance of being heard vs CB.
Yep, 15w for the type of unit seem pretty good. I like that is a small form factor and all the controls are in the handset. The 40w ones need to be somewhat more visible to the base unit. I see the MX275 comes with an antenna, so that makes it ready to go out of the box. On the Midland site, a reviewer recommended a puck style antenna, which surprises me that those would work, could put that on top the roll bar/sound bar and have it inside the vehicle all the time (under hard or soft top). Something like this: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015865

20% off seems like a pretty good deal too, and free shipping!

In terms of tuning I get the impression you don't have to. Just plug it in and start using.

In terms of splitter someone smarter than me would have to answer.

Id also like to know if there's a way to hook the speaker output on these units to the back of Jeep's stereo or is plug front aux plug only option??
Yeah, no tuning needed. Midland says its set up already, which I find difficult to believe with some many antenna and cable lengths out there.

Looks like the same antenna could be used, as long as neither is transmitting at the same time. Not sure about splitters yet. Although as I said above if I can hide a "puck" in top of the sound bar, not sure it matters to me any more. And the included antenna makes it to delay worrying about it.

You can hook up a CB or this radio to the aux input on your stereo. I did it for a brief amount of time with the Cobra. The problem with it, though, is as soon as the aux cable is connected to the "CB/Base Unit" it shuts off the internal speaker And my Cobra base unit is not accessible enough to do that on the fly. (I wanted to only connect it to the stereo in certain conditions). And then the other problem is a 1st world problem, you can't listen to to the radio and Two-way radio at the same time when out riding. :)

I don't know about any rear plugs on the stereo. The JL has no CD player, but maybe there is a buried CD plug still on the head unit? Its an interesting prospect though.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
It looks great. I'm interested but can you still fit the freedom panels and the bag under the slipstream cover? I remove my panels often and put them in the back. It's a tight fit so I'm curious if they will still fit.
The freedom panels in the bag will definitely not fit. Without the bag they just barely fit. I’m planning to get some sort of blanket to use for protection instead. I think that will work just fine.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
The freedom panels in the bag will definitely not fit. Without the bag they just barely fit. I’m planning to get some sort of blanket to use for protection instead. I think that will work just fine.

To me, the bag is ridiculous. I recently went on a 5 day camping trip in the Jeep, and it was constantly in the way. The panels are fiberglass, not crystal. I don’t expect to ever use the bag again.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed a set of Roam rock rails today. Man these things are beefy and gorgeous. The install was fairly easy and straight forward. Looking forward to trying these out tomorrow at Uwharrie!

A6B8061E-5F61-4D90-BBAC-57C7CD1CA8D6.jpeg

A5E41D90-C9F0-422A-A664-ED84031F3700.jpeg

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Rolled up the top on my new Suntop tonight. Couldn’t be happier with this top.

14A7E723-2F0B-41A8-8689-7E10A20B1D76.jpeg
Huh?

That looks noisy and quite the hassle...what top is that. Looks backwards.

So...you roll your top from back to front??:giggle:

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Day 30

Installed high amp quick connect onto batteries for using spare 4500 lb winch. This is what I used in my RZR days so I figured I might as well make use of it. I can use it to pill me out backwards or if main one breaks down.

The battery accessory terminals started galling after cycling the nuts ~10 times. This is common with stainless on stainless. Bought new ones with 3/8" posts that are taller. Now I spray a little lithium lubricant on them before cycling nut.

Installed Midland MXT275 GMRS radio. Being OCD I really wanted to screw the mount into a solid surface under dash or behind glove box. There really isn't anything. I finally found a good spot behind passenger speaker. I put a piece of foam around it to keep it from vibrating. It fit perfect! Read through manual. Pretty straight forward. I moved CB mic down to the holder on CB base unit and I'll leave GMRS mic up high. Also I used an ethernet coupler and short extension so I didn't eat up my coiled cord on mic.

Finished electrical!! The Gods have shown me mercy. Aux switch bar is busy..... Also not fun reaching under there and trying to grab 4 ring terminals with a short screw and line it up with screw hole.

Had to throw away fire extinguisher mount after it tore pulling on one of straps. Purchased Bartact mount.

Installed battery charging quick connect and routed it next to winch. Makes keeping battery charged easy. Sometimes Jeep will sit for a week.

That's it for today..... Carry on.

PHOTO_20190523_153533.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_161746.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_153720.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_160819.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_180001.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_154311.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_163231.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_153949.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_154016.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_155118.jpg

Hibypass

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I got the 6db gain Midland antenna also and a magnetic mount. The antenna that comes with the MXT275 is very short. You could just leave it up all the time. The 6db antenna is much longer, but still half the length of CB so I'm happy. So yes LENGTH definitely matters..... I'll unscrew it from magnetic base when I'm m not using it and put some type of cover over base and leave base on roof rack. I recieved 15% off using FARM15 code on Midlands website and was happy. Now they are having a 20% off sale. Not sure it gets a lot better.... Maybe Black Friday. They also have a 40W mobile unit. I wanted the power, but Jeep has minimal space available for mounting so I went with 15W unit where all the controls are on mic. There's also GMRS privacy codes that I think allow you to talk to someone with much much less chance of being heard vs CB.

In terms of tuning I get the impression you don't have to. Just plug it in and start using.

In terms of splitter someone smarter than me would have to answer.

Id also like to know if there's a way to hook the speaker output on these units to the back of Jeep's stereo or is plug front aux plug only option??

Midland-Frequency-Channel-Chart.jpg
You just cost me more money. Why do I keep reading these forums

ojones7

First Name
Owain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
How’s the ride with the rough country lift?
I would say worth the cost, isn’t worse than stock but isn’t high end. Fair to say “rides like stock” as they market it. Will definitely put it to the test this weekend!

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Installed Tuffy Security Tailgate...Installation instructions kinda suck but I was also a dumbass...Took about 45 minutes because I didn't drill pilot holes...I know better!!!!

Easy 10 minute job for 2 people with good instructions (DRILL PILOT HOLES).

Solid Unit but seam gaps could be better and powder coat is jankie in a few spots (But I'm picky).

Overall very happy and would buy again.

IMG_0516.jpeg

IMG_0517.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg
Door rattles like F....Spent the day lining everything with sticky back velcro strips.
Still glad I purchased but come on Tuffy, $299 and it still needs major modifications to stop rattles :headbang:
REALLY need to tighten up the build quality and tolerances :facepalm:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Day 30

Installed high amp quick connect onto batteries for using spare 4500 lb winch. This is what I used in my RZR days so I figured I might as well make use of it. I can use it to pill me out backwards or if main one breaks down.

The battery accessory terminals started galling after cycling the nuts ~10 times. This is common with stainless on stainless. Bought new ones with 3/8" posts that are taller. Now I spray a little lithium lubricant on them before cycling nut.

Installed Midland MXT275 GMRS radio. Being OCD I really wanted to screw the mount into a solid surface under dash or behind glove box. There really isn't anything. I finally found a good spot behind passenger speaker. I put a piece of foam around it to keep it from vibrating. It fit perfect! Read through manual. Pretty straight forward. I moved CB mic down to the holder on CB base unit and I'll leave GMRS mic up high. Also I used an ethernet coupler and short extension so I didn't eat up my coiled cord on mic.

Finished electrical!! The Gods have shown me mercy. Aux switch bar is busy..... Also not fun reaching under there and trying to grab 4 ring terminals with a short screw and line it up with screw hole.

Had to throw away fire extinguisher mount after it tore pulling on one of straps. Purchased Bartact mount.

Installed battery charging quick connect and routed it next to winch. Makes keeping battery charged easy. Sometimes Jeep will sit for a week.

That's it for today..... Carry on.

PHOTO_20190523_153533.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_161746.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_153720.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_160819.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_180001.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_154311.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_163231.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_153949.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_154016.jpg

PHOTO_20190523_155118.jpg
Doing a great job, do you have a target completion date or deadline? And what’s left to do?

Mikeb96

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I would say worth the cost, isn’t worse than stock but isn’t high end. Fair to say “rides like stock” as they market it. Will definitely put it to the test this weekend!
Let me know how it handles this weekend