First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I took out the back seat. Camped and wheeled for 5 days in Big Bend NP last week, and decided it had to go. Iā€™m going to build a 6ā€ platform for my gear storage, cut a 4ā€ memory foam mattress topper to fit, get it upholstered, and be ready to go camping at the drop of a hat.

A530B8BC-A7CA-4F3D-97BF-5D3B0487452A.jpeg
I may still build a raised platform, but I may not.
This was a piece of cake, took all of a half-hour, and gives me a flat floor from the front seats to the tailgate.
50cal ammo cans are the perfect height to support the front of the platform, and itā€™s held down by two of the seat attachment points.
All of my tools and recovery gear fit underneath, in the floorboards.
Iā€™m going to paint it black.
Btw, I made NO alterations to the Jeep. I could have the seat back in in a half hour, with no sign that it had ever been removed.

FA828FEA-B90A-496A-A462-191DBA8B6884.jpeg

Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Installed Quadratec door sill guards, Genesis dual battery kit.

PHOTO_20190424_171830.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_171837.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_181711.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_182238.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_182244.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_183459.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_183604.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_185853.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_185903.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_194936.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_194943.jpg
Why would you not use Deep Cycle 6V batteries, since the Wrangler does not require high cranking amps whereas the 6v would provide considerable more amp hours over all and run your accessories mush longer. Golf carts, boats, RV dual 6v trumps dual 12v every time.

Nice clean looking installation though

Kmutschler

First Name
Kelli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Did to my Jeep and my garage...

Installed the Racor Hoist with Topsy straps and gears and took the hard top off for the first time.
20190419_160649.jpg
20190419_160704.jpg
This hoist looks legit. I am in the market and looking at making my own vs pre fab hoists. Do you have the link to this one?

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Why would you not use Deep Cycle 6V batteries, since the Wrangler does not require high cranking amps whereas the 6v would provide considerable more amp hours over all and run your accessories mush longer. Golf carts, boats, RV dual 6v trumps dual 12v every time.

Nice clean looking installation though
Yes. If you are counting on extended battery power, 2 AGM 6vs are the way to go. They are neither light nor inexpensive, though.
In conjunction with a Honda 2kw genset and a 5 gallon fuel tank, a month off-grid is easy, without ever starting the vehicle.
Overkill for many though.

Last edited:

MTKMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4xe, 21 Range Rover HSE,
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not really digging my soft top either. What is it that you hate about your's?
@jedisrus Iā€™m not a huge fan of the back and how everything fits together. The bottom tabs on the back window do not stay up under the lip. I love riding around with just the back window out (yes, Iā€™m aware itā€™s not recommend for exhaust fumes ect), but Iā€™m hesitant to do so. Itā€™s not convenient to put things in the back cargo area. Having to undo both sides, then flip the thing up isnā€™t as easy as zipping the zippers to the corners on either side. I was not overly impressed with the instructions and the ease of the install. I used to always remove the black plastic trim on my older TJs and JKs because I liked the ā€œplainerā€ look. I am just going to have to get used to seeing the ā€œhardwareā€ when the top is down.

There are some positives... I do like the ā€œsafariā€ option this top offers. The fact you donā€™t need to undo the sun visors to latch or unlatch the front is convenient. You can flip the top back in about 2 seconds. I also understand the JL was designed for the average consumer, which I am not. Iā€™m sure most guys and gals love the functionality.

Some people would die to have the problems we have. All first world problems, I know.

seanjonesSUPERTRAMP

First Name
seany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Finally got around to getting the bump stops in place. I've been admittedly too lazy to cut the plastic tubes to size... pain in the ass getting them to fit just right. Still, one of the best "mods" for < $10, even though I cut the tubes too short the first time & had to make another Home Depot run for extras.

bump_stop_D.jpg

bump_stop_P.jpg
what product is that at Home Depot sir?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@jedisrus Iā€™m not a huge fan of the back and how everything fits together. The bottom tabs on the back window do not stay up under the lip. I love riding around with just the back window out (yes, Iā€™m aware itā€™s not recommend for exhaust fumes ect), but Iā€™m hesitant to do so. Itā€™s not convenient to put things in the back cargo area. Having to undo both sides, then flip the thing up isnā€™t as easy as zipping the zippers to the corners on either side. I was not overly impressed with the instructions and the ease of the install. I used to always remove the black plastic trim on my older TJs and JKs because I liked the ā€œplainerā€ look. I am just going to have to get used to seeing the ā€œhardwareā€ when the top is down.

There are some positives... I do like the ā€œsafariā€ option this top offers. The fact you donā€™t need to undo the sun visors to latch or unlatch the front is convenient. You can flip the top back in about 2 seconds. I also understand the JL was designed for the average consumer, which I am not. Iā€™m sure most guys and gals love the functionality.

Some people would die to have the problems we have. All first world problems, I know.
YJ, JK, and now with the JL, those silly tabs all behave the same way, Lol! I think it wouldn't be a real Jeep if they stayed put.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Installed atlas door steps and removed Teraflex rear trackbar relocation bracket.
rustyshakelford informed me bracket's purpose is to allow lifted vehicles to use factory trackbar. Since I'm using an adjustable trackbar the bracket isn't needed. I was thinking the bracket's purpose was to make trackbar more horizontal.

PHOTO_20190422_155925.jpg

PHOTO_20190422_170627.jpg

PHOTO_20190422_170641.jpg

PHOTO_20190422_175516.jpg
I havenā€™t got my atlas steps put on yet. I really have to get to the auto body shop and get them done. Looks good.