What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
thanks Grady, you gotta set what your expectations are when installing it yourself or paying someone. I have no experience, will it be 100%? I graded myself a 90. Would definitely do a better job second time around as most things. Best newbie advice I could give is lay plastic over engine bay during disassembly, don't want to lose anything in that abyss lol. Also the soapy solution has to be right. I didn't have enough soap initially. You will know right away even though you soak the surface and product generously it still felt sticky and unable to move vinyl around. Right amount, you can easily push it around without effort to get your edges lined up. Couple of pics to show you what you have to take off after the insulation is removed. We like the hood, still 50/50 on the side vents

fullsizeoutput_59c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_59d.jpeg

JaFSdyTWSv6Eik237X8Qhw.jpg
Hi, I must have missed out but what is this about? Hood liner removal?
Sorry to ask.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
yes it is, all in preparation of the hood decal installation

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Hi, I must have missed out but what is this about? Hood liner removal?
Sorry to ask.
yes it is, all in preparation of the hood decal installation
Yep. Maybe a little overkill, but not a bad precaution. FYI - if going down the road of adding that decal, you'll want the proper tool to remove the plastic clips that hold the insulation in place. I did and still damaged a few, but I blame that more on temperature (it was maybe 45 degrees in my garage so they were a little brittle).

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed! That insulation is very fragile and wiggling out the plastic fasteners reams out the hole even bigger on the insulation panel. I hardly call it overkill, consider it a plan of attack lol. I always grab a pack of those Jeezuss clips:facepalm: every time I do some interior panel work or this. Did manage to break a couple, but picked up a bolt and used it as a fulcrum under the tool and rest came out nice and easy and unbroken.

3s+hC%t4SU2yrfv8zg0VHQ.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Out: Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0w20 and a Fram XG11665.

In: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 and a fresh XG11665.

The old filter looked to be in great shape. I took a sample of the Mobil 1 AP and will send it to Blackstone for an analysis. I'm betting it looks great. It had about 7100 miles on it with 13% left on the oil life monitor, so it would have likely taken the oil past 8k miles if I went to zero. I'll run the Pennzoil Ultra for at least 5k miles, maybe even 6 or 7, then will do an analysis and compare. It should do very well, too. I'll post the analysis when it comes back in a couple weeks.

This engine has almost 17k miles on it and just gets sweeter as it breaks in. It revs more and more freely, feels stronger, and behaves much better and smoother now below 2k rpm (6 speed manual). I couldn't be happier with this engine/transmission combo at this point.

Last edited:

JohnnyJLUR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal, 2013 Mazda MX5 Club
I put my Freedom Tops back on since we are supposed to get some rain. I have seen a number of questions if you can use the Alien Sunshade with the Freedom Tops on...I have included some pics below, I hope this helps anyone who has had this question.

Alien Sunshade1.jpg
Alien Sunshade2.jpg
Alien Sunshade3.jpg
Alien.jpg

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
I’ve been looking at those flaps for the front and back. Can you let me know if you think they’re worth the $$ in a week or two?
Sure...they are really secure. and good quality. I don't see why I wouldn't like them, but I'll let u know.

EagleJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sarge Green Willys
Occupation
UPS
Perfect for the beach!! Is this setup for hardtop only? I have a soft-top and I use it all the time..
Yes, it's for the hard top only. The rack that holds the awning mounts to the gutters.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
thanks Grady, you gotta set what your expectations are when installing it yourself or paying someone. I have no experience, will it be 100%? I graded myself a 90. Would definitely do a better job second time around as most things. Best newbie advice I could give is lay plastic over engine bay during disassembly, don't want to lose anything in that abyss lol. Also the soapy solution has to be right. I didn't have enough soap initially. You will know right away even though you soak the surface and product generously it still felt sticky and unable to move vinyl around. Right amount, you can easily push it around without effort to get your edges lined up. Couple of pics to show you what you have to take off after the insulation is removed. We like the hood, still 50/50 on the side vents

fullsizeoutput_59c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_59d.jpeg

JaFSdyTWSv6Eik237X8Qhw.jpg
Do the fasteners that hold on the hood liner get destroyed upon removal? What should I order?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Do the fasteners that hold on the hood liner get destroyed upon removal? What should I order?
From what I can gather and what I've experienced, not if you have a tool like @aai posted a pic of, done slowly/carefully and in warm temperature. You can get one from most auto parts stores or Harbor Freight for a few bucks.