What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

rdrjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport-S
I ordered this bracket because it is the best solution I have seen to date. it is a good sturdy bracket but unfortunately it does not work on my 2019 JLUS. apparently the area around the bolt for the grab handle (behind the center panel trim piece) is different between the Sahara and other trims.
What was the issue? Did the metal shape not conform? The bolt on my Sport S was held in place by some small plastic tabs that I needed to break off to remove the bolt and install my bracket.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
I'm from CO too and registering my JL is like watching an aftermarket part I want getting pushed aside for years to come...
Los Angeles here. The taxes & registration here are absolutely absurd. The sunshine, surfing, and architecture are the only reason I'm still here - my Republican/Libertarian soul cringes at how much cash I'm shelling out to the state. Anyone got this beat?

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 11.47.18 PM.png

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Installed a Topsy JL Universal CB mic mount. I was a bit nervous popping off the instrument panel on my new Jeep but it came off pretty easy and the whole install was about 20 minutes.
topsy install.jpg
installed.jpg
scanner.jpg
instrument.jpg
Nice work. My Topsy bracket came last night. I stuck a small furniture pad (size of a quarter) on it to stop any rattle of the Handheld Ham unit. I also put a little bit of black gaffer tape on back of it to silence any remain rattle. Installing tomorrow. My son wants to help me.

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 7.53.44 AM.png

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
What was the issue? Did the metal shape not conform? The bolt on my Sport S was held in place by some small plastic tabs that I needed to break off to remove the bolt and install my bracket.
I should have taken a picture... the issue was the formed plastic at the end of the grab handle where it surrounds the bolt.
the opening around the bolt that the end of the bracket has to fit into is smaller than the end of the bracket. there is nothing in the plastic dash pieces that could be removed to make the bracket fit in place. externally, the Sahara grab handle is different than Sport and Rubicon, apparently the attachment area is different too.

I like the idea of this bracket so much, I may remove the trim pieces again and get a pic to send to Topsy and make them aware of the issue.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I should have taken a picture... the issue was the formed plastic at the end of the grab handle where it surrounds the bolt.
the opening around the bolt that the end of the bracket has to fit into is smaller than the end of the bracket. there is nothing in the plastic dash pieces that could be removed to make the bracket fit in place. externally, the Sahara grab handle is different than Sport and Rubicon, apparently the attachment area is different too.

I like the idea of this bracket so much, I may remove the trim pieces again and get a pic to send to Topsy and make them aware of the issue.
The Cooltech mic mount should work, right?

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I dunno, I assume the attachment design is similar but there isn't any detail on their website. maybe I'll give it a try, thanks!
Ah, sorry. I was thinking they had install instructions on the site but I believe I saw the install here. Let me see if I can find it.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Ah, sorry. I was thinking they had install instructions on the site but I believe I saw the install here. Let me see if I can find it.
I wonder if this is the same bracket? the picture of the installed bracket looks identical
https://www.amazon.com/Areyourshop-75WXST-Holder-Passenger-Wrangler/dp/B07KF6D33J

edit: there are actually a bunch of different ones on Amazon, I guess I never thought to look there. this one is shown on Sahara trim and I'm going to give it a try:
https://www.amazon.com/KING-SHOWDEN-Passenger-Microphone-Mounting/dp/B07K6HQ29L

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Sure looks like it!

Found a post with an installation video: #15
dude, that video is awesome! the installation of the bracket is at the 15:00 minute mark, this is a completely different design than the Topsy bracket and looks like it will work with my Sahara trim. I placed an order. thank you very much!

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dude, that video is awesome! the installation of the bracket is at the 15:00 minute mark, this is a completely different design than the Topsy bracket and looks like it will work with my Sahara trim. I placed an order. thank you very much!
No problem! Glad I could help.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
I'm from CO too and registering my JL is like watching an aftermarket part I want getting pushed aside for years to come...
And unlike what some others have posted, we get the honor of paying a slightly reduced amount every year. So next year I am guessing it will be @$1,000. And then maybe @$875 year 3 and so on. New car registration really sucks the $$$ out of you out here.