lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Yea that’s pretty sloppy. :facepalm:
yes it looks like someone painted over rusty metal, the top cover and the top wings are pretty good however (just minor imperfections) however just about every other part had this. I have a paint thickness meter and it does not appear to be rust as the paint thickness is definitely heavier at the splatters. You only see it on my when you look inside and some pieces are hidden completely.

I would be interested how your install goes especially if you have a alpine sub...

DominionsCowboy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sting Grey JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well today I watched a ton of videos talking about the muffler delete on the 3.6 JL and decided to pull mine off. So removed the factory muffler and fired it up... have to say I kinda like it. Sounds a little 350/370z-ish.... Which I have always been a fan of that sound. So Im going to cruise it around for a bit and see how I truly like it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@tmakaro
@Everyone
@SmartStopStart.com

I know you questioned what offering it was.....also, I have received 3 private messages, since last night when I posted, asking me if it was a SmartStopStart unit.

There are apparently guys/gals lurking on the forum, that have a real interest in the SmartStopStart unit.

Well, that it is. I should the unit here by tomorrow, and will install tomorrow, before my road trip to Florida.

I can't tell you how many guy's / and a gal ...over the last few months pm'd me or mentioned in a forum post, whether I had used a SmartStopStart and what I thought of it, etc..

I always replied, the unit was a "One Trick Pony", so to speak, so I had not installed one as I wanted to do more then just to disable the JL's Stop Start.

I often have thought to myself.... geeez, if all I wanted to do was disable ESS, I would undoubtedly be pursuing a SmartStopStart unit.

Anyway, the pm's kept coming and asking me... guess cause I am always talking JL programmer and a lot of JL owner's are not needing a programmer but suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure would like to disable ESS on their JL......

Sure, it is an easy button push to disable ESS but...

....and they wanted to know my honest feelings in regard to the SmartStopStart.. Couldn't tell them though, as I had no experience with that forum sponsor's offering.

With that said, I have decided to install a SmartStopStart and give it a test drive so to speak. I will be using one for at least the next 4 weeks, and then...

So, while I won't be posting much the next few weeks cause I'm on the road, I will make time to post about the SmartStopStart.

I hope all is very positive in regard to the SmartStopStart, as I know there are quite a few here that are wanting a way to disable ESS, but want to know the good bad and he ugly so to speak before they take the plunge. Well, I will be spewing such info soon....

smartstopstart.jpg
Well, the SmartStopStop unit arrived today via Fedex.

Packaging was excellent. Included with the unit was directions and Velcro strips for the install.

Install was literally, less then 5 minutes.

Can tell you the unit is well made. A quality offering!. AND .... yes, worked exactly as advertised..... no marrying or procedure, to get it talking lets say, to the JL. It just worked..

Ya know, if you really dislike ESS and would rather not be bothered with the single button push to turn off ESS... and all you want is a gadget to disable ESS, well............. This little one trick pony, as I call it... the SmartStopStart... well, it is definitely something to consider.

No drive time with it today but at 7:30 am EST tomorrow the JL and I are headed out on the 1200 miles tip to Florida from my digs here in NY. Will be driving non-stop. Takes me about 19 hrs. 8-)

Oh, pic below shows the SmartStopStart. I have also attached the instructions to this post.

Works with both the 2018 and 2019 JL .... You can read more and also buy here:
https://www.smartstopstart.com/

smartstopstart.jpg

@SmartStopStart.com is a forum sponsor!

Attachments

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
Installed my wife's Christmas presents... most of them anyway...

Go Rhino Stubby, Westin winch and some led's... I still have to wire the lights and figure out how I'm going to switch them. Her Jeep doesn't have the aux switches like mine...

I think it turned out well and looks really nice...
20181219_124308.jpg
20181219_130901.jpg
20181219_153055.jpg
20181219_153225.jpg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

Go Rhino Stubby, Westin winch and some led's... I still have to wire the lights and figure out how I'm going to switch them. Her Jeep doesn't have the aux switches like mine...

20181219_124308.jpg
20181219_130901.jpg
20181219_153055.jpg
20181219_153225.jpg

If you do not have the tow package light switches it is easy. I have two light bars one on the bumper and the other on the hood. For running the wires from the battery run the switch cable to the driver side fire wall where there is a 1.5" plastic plug you can remove that feeds right into cab. The the panel left and below the speaking is open in back I simply drilled a Hole and installed these switches. They are easy to access when you need them. It only takes about 5 minutes to run the wires. When you run the wires from the battery to the drivers side there are wire clips at the top of the fire wall to run the cable through to keep them out of the way. Unfortunately there is no room for rocker switches (maybe one or two) I am adding pilar LED's so I will need room for 3 switches and these are small and fit well and look OK.

light%20switch_zpsprcjuqc1.jpg

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

20181219_124308.jpg
You're lucky. If I did that for my stock sedan driving wife I'd get this look:
disgust.jpg

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
If you do not have the tow package light switches it is easy. I have two light bars one on the bumper and the other on the hood. For running the wires from the battery run the switch cable to the driver side fire wall where there is a 1.5" plastic plug you can remove that feeds right into cab. The the panel left and below the speaking is open in back I simply drilled a Hole and installed these switches. They are easy to access when you need them. It only takes about 5 minutes to run the wires. When you run the wires from the battery to the drivers side there are wire clips at the top of the fire wall to run the cable through to keep them out of the way. Unfortunately there is no room for rocker switches (maybe one or two) I am adding pilar LED's so I will need room for 3 switches and these are small and fit well and look OK.

Thanks man … that is good to know, there are not many access points thru the firewall to the cab

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442

Thanks for the wire routing info... I'll check that out tomorrow and hopefully get her going...:like:

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
H
Here’s a good review and install of the Tuffy secure storage. I asked him if he considered the Slipstream and he said did and thus went with the Tuffy. I’m on the fence between the two.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
H

Here’s a good review and install of the Tuffy secure storage. I asked him if he considered the Slipstream and he said did and thus went with the Tuffy. I’m on the fence between the two.

Tuffy sponsored. Lol

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Installed a set of KMC Beadlocks and 37" Yokohama G003's on @TankCustomsAlex 2dr JL. Now to decide on a lift :whatsgoingon:
The Yokohama G003's have great road manners! Not much louder/stiffer than the factory KO2's.
KMC & G003.jpg