What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Iwant2poop

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sport, 2002 Grand Cherokee (Sold)
Ugh, I love this look so much better. I just wish I had to the courage to do it. :puke:
It's really not too hard and while it might seem pretty daunting, the beauty about PlastiDip is that it is VERY forgiving if you mess up. As I'm sure you've read or heard by now, you literally just peel it off.

The important thing to do is cover the surrounding area with plastic bags or newspaper and leave a small box perimeter around the emblems. Then spray. Start with a light coat for the first 2-3 coats. In other words, go over it once or twice, then let it dry. It should look like you missed a lot of coverage, it's what the heavier coats of PlastiDip will adhere to. After that, apply a few coats afterward, this time heavier and making sure you cover everything. After the final coat, let it cure until it starts to harden but is tacky. Take off the painters tape and the bags/newspaper. Grab one of the corners of the box and begin to GENTLY peel away. Once you get to he emblems, just let it go with the natural curves. Be gentle, but don't be afraid to pull. It should peel around the curvatures of the letters. For the insides of certain letters (like the "e" or "p"), I find it's best to use a toothpick and slowly peel away at it.

There are plenty of YouTube videos online if you want visual references as well.

JessieGirl

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
It's really not too hard and while it might seem pretty daunting, the beauty about PlastiDip is that it is VERY forgiving if you mess up. As I'm sure you've read or heard by now, you literally just peel it off.

The important thing to do is cover the surrounding area with plastic bags or newspaper and leave a small box perimeter around the emblems. Then spray. Start with a light coat for the first 2-3 coats. In other words, go over it once or twice, then let it dry. It should look like you missed a lot of coverage, it's what the heavier coats of PlastiDip will adhere to. After that, apply a few coats afterward, this time heavier and making sure you cover everything. After the final coat, let it cure until it starts to harden but is tacky. Take off the painters tape and the bags/newspaper. Grab one of the corners of the box and begin to GENTLY peel away. Once you get to he emblems, just let it go with the natural curves. Be gentle, but don't be afraid to pull. It should peel around the curvatures of the letters. For the insides of certain letters (like the "e" or "p"), I find it's best to use a toothpick and slowly peel away at it.

There are plenty of YouTube videos online if you want visual references as well.
I'm assuming I can do the trail rated badge on the Jeep the same way? No need to remove it? Y'all might have talked me into giving it a go. I feel better knowing I can't completely screw it up and can start over if needed.

Mr. Beef Chief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I'm assuming I can do the trail rated badge on the Jeep the same way? No need to remove it? Y'all might have talked me into giving it a go. I feel better knowing I can't completely screw it up and can start over if needed.
You definitely can, I've done my badge and jeep emblem a couples times now. Just make sure everything is dry as possible.. I've had to peal mine off a few times and do it over again because the humidity and constant rain make it tough in South Florida..

Iwant2poop

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sport, 2002 Grand Cherokee (Sold)
No need to remove it. Also, make sure the painting surface is clean so it adheres properly. I like using rubbing alcohol since it has a high rate evaporation so it dries quickly. Wear gloves too to avoid getting your finger oils on the paint surface.

mjsull

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Auto, Granite Crystal, Tan leather, Black Hard Top w/ Headliner, Steel Bumpers, LEDs, Cold Weather, Infotainment, Safety and Tow Group, Remote Start, Proximity Entry, Mopar Mats

EJ3CTA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Did you think it was difficult or easy to do? Good looking install
Thank you!

It was a difficult install for me since I have never done anything like it before in a vehicle. Getting the wires through the grommet on the passenger side from under the wheel well was frustrating and was the source of several words that I probably can't repeat on this forum. :cwl:

Removing the orange wire from the bulkhead connector wasn't easy, either. Once I was able to remove it, the wire went into the new connector with no issues. Unfortunately, the orange wire on the new cable assembly will not click into place when inserted into the large connector. So, I'm seeing the issue others have found in a different post with the auto stop/start feature because a good connection isn't being made.

It was close to midnight by the time I got everything put back together. I'm going to work on it some more this weekend and hopefully I can come up with a solution.

On a positive note, I definitely feel like I've accomplished something and learned a lot in the process. I'd do it again if I could and I'm sure the install would be much faster the second time around.

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Installed Redracing 3M protectors, GPCA grab handles (they easily flip up out of the way), CB Antenna mount (used old JK bracket, CB coming soon), MOLLE bags that hold tools, first aid, and dog leashes/bowls. On the rear is the cargo mat cover (love it) and steel cable for when i need to lock the Yeti. And my favorite add on - CMM custom painted mirrors! These things are quality and look so sharp! Had to add the hair ties for the ladies - I'm single!

That's my puppy Winnie in the background!

IMG_1927.jpg
IMG_1929.jpg
IMG_1934.jpg
IMG_1941.jpg
IMG_1943.jpg
IMG_1947.jpg
IMG_1952.jpg
IMG_1953.jpg
IMG_1954.jpg