Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
So, I’ve been wondering about this. How does it impact tire removal
It just takes about an extra 5 minutes. The black part with the Jeep grille is installed into the top two lugnuts with 20 torx screws. So you have to remove those screws first, then unplug the light from the wire that connects to the Jeep (takes 5 seconds), then you can access your lugnuts to remove them and the tire. Just two extra small steps.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@IndustrialAction

I have the kit installed on my JL. In regard to spare tire removal... well, you have to remove two T-45 Torx head bolts that are screwed into two of the 3 spare tire lug nuts. The two T-45 Torx head bolts are what hold the Jeep grill bracket with your 3rd brake light attached, stationary in front of the spare.

If you go here and look at the kit and the install instructions, what I am saying will be clearer.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-chmsl-relocation-kit-part-number-82215349.5491/

So, the impact on spare tire removal is only that it will take you an additional say 3-5 minutes, to remove two T-45 Torx head bolts so you can move out of the way (disconnect brake light wire ) the little black grill with 3rd brake light attached. Of course, you have to replace the two T-45 Torx head bolts and plug in a wire, when you put the flat spare back on the back of the vehicle.

As for the relocation kit, do shop around as you can often find it being sold for about $70+-.
Install of the relocation kit is rated easy for most guys/gals.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Minor projects today. Installed the Antenna X 24" CB/FM antenna, installed Mopar grab handles (front and rear), and installed my new license plate, and test mounted two Gorilla locking lugs on the spare tire.

Today my Mopar 2" lift kit arrived BUT it appears to have been manufactured prior to May 1, 2018 when they swamped out the front coil spring brackets. I have PM'd JeepCares to see if they can get me the retrofitted brackets.

Sitting in the garage waiting to be installed (besides the lift kit) are an Artec license plate relocation kit, Mopar hinge reinforcement kit and Mopar Oversize spare relocation kit, HotHead liners, 37" BFG K02's, and Rockstar wheels

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
That’s right. Not too much extra time, but an extra step in the process. The good thing is the Jeep tool kit has the correct size and length torx bit to remove the bracket. My pain in the a$$ reference is you never get a flat tire in ideal conditions...Murphy’s law. Typically it’s raining, dark, and cold. At that time removing those torx bolts, making sure not to lose them, and disconnecting the wire will be a pain.

Also, for rotation I doubt any tire shop would know how to remove it so it may be better to remove yourself prior to having them rotate tires. Not even sure the Jeep dealer would know.

As for costs I was reluctant to buy as the cheapest I could find was $75. I remember for my JK a company made one very similar and it was about half the price. I guess having the bracket with a Jeep grille adds $30 to the cost.

When I found it for $60 on eBay shipped I figured that was pretty good.

arcticaaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just got off the phone with EVO, apparently I ordered the correct kit from Northridge which had the incorrect springs in the box. I ordered 3.5in and it had 2.5in front and rear springs. While doing a verification of the part numbers, it was found that the springs are installed in the incorrect position anyway. So when I receive the correct items, I will have them swap in my new springs while they fix their mistake.
Any feedback on how the 3.5" EVO rides and drives? I'm looking at ordering the same setup this week.

sjromeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Rotations and changing tires if I get a flat are going to be a pain in the a$$, but hey it looks good and frees up some visibility in the back. Got a pretty good deal on it too.

74B86CAE-E0EC-4E99-8FD5-D44F257C1B0E.jpeg
Which one is this?

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
@IndustrialAction

I have the kit installed on my JL. In regard to spare tire removal... well, you have to remove two T-45 Torx head bolts that are screwed into two of the 3 spare tire lug nuts. The two T-45 Torx head bolts are what hold the Jeep grill bracket with your 3rd brake light attached, stationary in front of the spare.

If you go here and look at the kit and the install instructions, what I am saying will be clearer.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-chmsl-relocation-kit-part-number-82215349.5491/

So, the impact on spare tire removal is only that it will take you an additional say 3-5 minutes, to remove two T-45 Torx head bolts so you can move out of the way (disconnect brake light wire ) the little black grill with 3rd brake light attached. Of course, you have to replace the two T-45 Torx head bolts and plug in a wire, when you put the flat spare back on the back of the vehicle.

As for the relocation kit, do shop around as you can often find it being sold for about $70+-.
Install of the relocation kit is rated easy for most guys/gals.

Do you also have to disconnect your negative connection to the battery too?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you also have to disconnect your negative connection to the battery too?
@Jeepmarkjl

Well, in the install instructions for the Mopar CHMSL Relocation Kit, Part# 82215349 it does tell you to disconnect the battery when you do the install. I did not see any reason to do this. My guess is others here undoubtedly did not disconnect the battery either.

When you do the install, all you are doing electrical wise, if you want to call it that, is unplugging a connector that connects the feed cable to the 3rd brake light itself. As long as the JL is turned off, there is no power going thru the cable. So, I see/saw no reason to disconnect the battery.

Now, in regard to when you change the spare tire on a JL with the 3rd brake light relocation kit installed... Yes, turn the vehicle off before disconnecting or re-connecting the 3rd brake light plug in connector. My guess is, even if you did forget to do this, it would make no difference.

TXRobD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma, 2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Full length. I did not realize there is the section over the big middle roll bar where the hardtop seems to touch in the center so not sure i can slide it back through there. Im planning on taking the top off tomorrow morning so i will just wait until then and make it easy...
I lifted mine slightly while the wife slid the sunshade through so I didn't have to remove the top completely. The top really isn't that heavy, it's just bulky to move around by yourself.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
@Jeepmarkjl

Well, in the install instructions for the Mopar CHMSL Relocation Kit, Part# 82215349 it does tell you to disconnect the battery when you do the install. I did not see any reason to do this. My guess is others here undoubtedly did not disconnect the battery either.

When you do the install, all you are doing electrical wise, if you want to call it that, is unplugging a connector that connects the feed cable to the 3rd brake light itself. As long as the JL is turned off, there is no power going thru the cable. So, I see/saw no reason to disconnect the battery.

Now, in regard to when you change the spare tire on a JL with the 3rd brake light relocation kit installed... Yes, turn the vehicle off before disconnecting or re-connecting the 3rd brake light plug in connector. My guess is, even if you did forget to do this, it would make no difference.

Ok - ish. What you say makes sense. However I nearly screwed up my Jeep by breaking a body bolt at my expense. So I'm kind hyper vigilant in terms of following instructions. What is down side to disconnecting the negative lead other than inconvenience.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok - ish. What you say makes sense. However I nearly screwed up my Jeep by breaking a body bolt at my expense. So I'm kind hyper vigilant in terms of following instructions. What is down side to disconnecting the negative lead other than inconvenience.
If you want to disconnect the battery go for it. Curious, do you go to the breaker box and electrical circuit there to your duplex receptacle when/before you go to unplug say you cell phone or coffee maker.... 8-)

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
If you want to disconnect the battery go for it. Curious, do you go to the breaker box and electrical circuit there to your duplex receptacle when/before you go to unplug say you cell phone or coffee maker.... 8-)
Actually, I climb the pole down over in the alley and disconnect the live power wire going to the unit. Its a little trick y but I put on some rubber dish washing gloves, cross my fingers and yank that sucker loose. Not bad in the summer when the weather is nice but its a real drag in the cold Chicago winter. Everyone does this - right?