First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
Not today, but yesterday: took her home! Digging the Ocean Blue, but it still hurts a bit when I see a Hydro around (tragically mine was lemon-lawed). My OB is a 2019 3.6 Sahara with almost all options I wanted and only ~10k miles and I love it already.

Now I have a month/1,500mi to make sure my 3.6 Sahara is in shape, or I can return it.

What should I look for/check? Here are some ideas I got:
  • Crawl underneath and look for the rust situation
  • Check the fenders, undercarriage and engine bay for signs of any accidents (report says itā€™s clear, but Iā€™d rather double check)
  • Need to air down - the drive home was like a bouncy castle and the screen says tires are at 47psi which is nuts to me. Then will drive around my known circuit (on road only sadly), to make sure the general dynamics are ok
  • Clean her up well inside and out - check for marks on the paint and for stains/smells on seats and carpet
Also, probably paid a higher price but the experience with CarMax was above average for a used car dealer in my experience. Shout out to their approach and particularly to their staff - way nicer to deal with than I had expected/seen (and Iā€™ve worked advising large corps on customer service for years). It helps that my baby daughter came with me and sheā€™s too cute. Sheā€™ll be learning how to do five-tire rotations and fluid changes before she can walk!

Finally - the pics which is probably what you care about vs all my rambling above (really dislike the silver accents on the grill, by the way):
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 5BE9DCE0-5382-4E7E-80E6-CFE5FA5BDE13

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 03EB39ED-55D2-488A-8158-EBFA05C51946

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 3207093F-168E-4569-915A-761C01AED452

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Not today, but yesterday: took her home! Digging the Ocean Blue, but it still hurts a bit when I see a Hydro around (tragically mine was lemon-lawed). My OB is a 2019 3.6 Sahara with almost all options I wanted and only ~10k miles and I love it already.

Now I have a month/1,500mi to make sure my 3.6 Sahara is in shape, or I can return it.

What should I look for/check? Here are some ideas I got:
  • Crawl underneath and look for the rust situation
  • Check the fenders, undercarriage and engine bay for signs of any accidents (report says itā€™s clear, but Iā€™d rather double check)
  • Need to air down - the drive home was like a bouncy castle and the screen says tires are at 47psi which is nuts to me. Then will drive around my known circuit (on road only sadly), to make sure the general dynamics are ok
  • Clean her up well inside and out - check for marks on the paint and for stains/smells on seats and carpet
Also, probably paid a higher price but the experience with CarMax was above average for a used car dealer in my experience. Shout out to their approach and particularly to their staff - way nicer to deal with than I had expected/seen (and Iā€™ve worked advising large corps on customer service for years). It helps that my baby daughter came with me and sheā€™s too cute. Sheā€™ll be learning how to do five-tire rotations and fluid changes before she can walk!

Finally - the pics which is probably what you care about vs all my rambling above (really dislike the silver accents on the grill, by the way):
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 3207093F-168E-4569-915A-761C01AED452

First CONGRATULATIONS on joining the OBM family! And WOW that is low mileageā€¦bought my 2019 used with 22k miles last May and have just under 48k now.

As the saying goes, everyone has different tastesā€¦I was opposite you, looking at the Hydro Blue if going new but REALLY liked the OBM especially with the silver accents, but wanted a Rubicon and only the Sahara came that way. Then I found my OBM Rubicon and didnā€™t even have to second guess pulling the trigger.

As far as checking things out. From my experience so far I really like the 3.6 V6. SO MUCH POWER compared to when I had my ā€˜98 TJ (outside of having the TJ AEV Hemi) and the ford fusion hybrid I moved on from.

Being in NY, yup rust and such is needed to be looked into. Also inquire about a 4X4 shop from this board who can do a full inspection with you for cheap or for free.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I have 60,000+ miles on a set of Dynatrac ball joints. With zero issues. The Jeep has literally seen 15,000 to 20,000 miles of off roading during that time and it has all been done on 37s.

This is what I hope for. Longer service life with the larger tires. Iā€™ll be sticking it out with 37ā€™s for the foreseeable future

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
She said she absolutely loves them and is going to have to look into getting some of those. Thank you.
I found my shirt I got from a little shop in Mt. Dora, FL and of course went in to their website and have found a lot more I want to buy, lol.

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
First CONGRATULATIONS on joining the OBM family! And WOW that is low mileageā€¦bought my 2019 used with 22k miles last May and have just under 48k now.

As the saying goes, everyone has different tastesā€¦I was opposite you, looking at the Hydro Blue if going new but REALLY liked the OBM especially with the silver accents, but wanted a Rubicon and only the Sahara came that way. Then I found my OBM Rubicon and didnā€™t even have to second guess pulling the trigger.

As far as checking things out. From my experience so far I really like the 3.6 V6. SO MUCH POWER compared to when I had my ā€˜98 TJ (outside of having the TJ AEV Hemi) and the ford fusion hybrid I moved on from.

Being in NY, yup rust and such is needed to be looked into. Also inquire about a 4X4 shop from this board who can do a full inspection with you for cheap or for free.
thank you! Once the test period is over, I will be taking the Sahara to Evan 4x4 in Long Island thanks to skme referenced here in the forum. Plan is to regear and install true-tracs (works best for me as Iā€™m unlikely to be rock-crawling and will probably drive on slippery snow/sand where LSD would help over Rubi lockers). Might as wel as Evan to check out the car before working in it, good idea!

Also, your Jeep looks great and if you want to trade your grille for mine just PM me - would only need to check the back & forth shipping cost.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Also installed the under hood LED light from
Under Hood Light

Drilled hole bigger and used a dremmel (not shown) to clear the area for the plunger to not short out on the frame:
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 93FB2F7C-7969-4DF3-9207-B34F4D9A7579
I've the same light saved on my Amazon wish list. Unfortunately, the rivets for the Bolt hood lock occupy the two holes evident in the photo. Must have a think about this...

Marshall, where/how did you power the light? TIA.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I've the same light saved on my Amazon wish list. Unfortunately, the rivets for the Bolt hood lock occupy the two holes evident in the photo. Must have a think about this...

Marshall, where/how did you power the light? TIA.
I'm in the same boat surely with the Mopar offering. Would like to add something like this but don't want to drill out a steel rivet and do adequate clean up - probably need a different spot for the plunger.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy