What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Not the usual mod but I paid off my loan after 11 months.
It's also the best mod. :beer: All the others are in a race for 2nd Place.

tools44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon
sprayed the entire hard top with lizard skin sound deadener.

A bit of a pain in the butt and tons of prep like any other paint type of job.

anything is better than the white interior.

Actually really like the matte black it turned out.

I hear you on the all white interior. I took my rubi to a body shop last week to get an estimate to paint the interior. I got an eye-watering quote of almost $2500. Not doing that!

The problem is I don't trust myself to try to do this myself without it becoming a total sh*tshow.
Did you have prior experience doing this kind of project and would you do it again? I figure painting vs what you did are very similar.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I hear you on the all white interior. I took my rubi to a body shop last week to get an estimate to paint the interior. I got an eye-watering quote of almost $2500. Not doing that!

The problem is I don't trust myself to try to do this myself without it becoming a total sh*tshow.
Did you have prior experience doing this kind of project and would you do it again? I figure painting vs what you did are very similar.
I bedlined my full hard top interior in my JK. The secret is a good prep. Mask off the world and you can spray like a complete asshole. Lol. ;)

It's really not rocket surgery.

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon

Good questions. Your patience will prevent it from becoming a giant bag of a$$

I definitely would not trust a krylon type of product for this job. I used lizard skin, but there are a couple others out there.

prep is everything. scuffed up with 120 grit sandpaper, no big deal. But used the leaf blower then wiped down very well.

I made a paint booth more or less with large plastic tarps, not hard.

what was a big time consumer was blue taping off areas I did not want the spray to go. you can't just hose down the underside, all the areas on the top that are smooth (where the rubber seals are) you do not want to paint. That took more time than I thought.

took off all the hinges, not hard.

position the large rear top back window down on the ground up against a wall. much easier to paint. these guns are gravity fed, so trying to paint with the thing pointed at the ground doesn't work that well, lesson learned for me.

two coats are done.

first coat took like 4 hours to dry, didn't anticipate it being that long.
ambient temperature matters. I'd do this on an 80 degree day in the future.

I would also start a sat morning, spray twice, leave overnight, then top back on the next day.

I do not have previous experience painting like this. Yes I'd do it again, despite it being a little more of a pain than I anticipated. most of that was you pretty much need another dude to help you move the top around, since my woman can't pick up an ipod.

with all the curves this is much more difficult to spray than a flat panel. You have to hit every angle head on. so be sure to leave room to maneuver around the panel to spray, and have it propped up like I mentioned, life will be better.

oh yeah, and this job cannot be done with a pancake air compressor, so don't try.
mine is like 20 gallons and I would not go smaller than that.

Overall cost was like $325

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Wanting a cleaner look for the dash camera's power, I routed the USB power cable behind the dashboard. A step drill and a 3/8" grommet made for a clean and easy modification.

USB power 1.jpg

USB power 2.jpg

A length of motorcycle-grade wire sheathing was used to protect the USB cable.

USB power 3.jpg

The outboard RAM balls (the right one is out of frame) are occasionally used for my phone, and/or my Delorme inReach satellite tracker/communicator.

USB power 4.jpg

The dash camera has recorded enough Stupid through the years that I consider them well-nigh compulsory.

USB power 5.jpg

I expected everything to work after it was all buttoned up -- and it did -- but I still breathed a small sigh of relief. :)

USB power 6.jpg

This fellow's video make a doddle of component removal & reinstallation. As it concerns work habits, he gets all of the little details right. This is a rare quality on YouTube.

Stupid NECRO post on this, but do you have any images of where you plugged your USB cables into? I'd love to do this with mine, but want to have at least one of the cables connected to the head unit for Airplay and not just power from somewhere.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Stupid NECRO post on this, but do you have any images of where you plugged your USB cables into? I'd love to do this with mine, but want to have at least one of the cables connected to the head unit for Airplay and not just power from somewhere.
Hey Lance,
As the pics in the original post illustrate, the micro USB exits on top of the dash and powers the dash camera. The other end of the cable, w/USB-A, exits in the driver's footwell and is plugged into the 12V power port directly behind the transfer case lever. That was done for expediency, since I wasn't yet wanting to tap into the port's wiring inside the dash.

Soggybottomboy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon JLU.
Occupation
Retired from Retards
I talked TO the dealer today about picking it up Friday.
I talked TO the finance officer today.
I went TO my bank account and moved money.
I talked TO my friend about giving me a ride to Wilmington Friday.
I went TO the Emerald Isle website for a beach driving permit.

Most exciting day!

SBB

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Today, I finally got around to finishing the front interior. For the interior "ribs" I used some sort of tape from home depot. I then used 15# Velcro to attach some insulation to the panels. I surrounded the insulation with car ceiling carpet. Before I fastened it down, I spray painted the panels black.

20230118_125415.jpg

IMG_20230118_172129.jpg

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Lance... Funny thing you asked since I had just asked @Heimkehr the same question. I was able to find this thread in the DIY section. I assume you meant CarPlay and not AirPlay perhaps? Or I just don't know what AirPlay is. Could be either of those things!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-2-x-20w-pd-usb-c-ports-on-upper-dash.106419/

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Got it back from the dealer on recall and rolling updates with no issues at all, knock on wood. Finished the fender install with a VW bug fender gasket to prevent the rocks.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1000001333
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1000001338

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR
Got it back from the dealer on recall and rolling updates with no issues at all, knock on wood. Finished the fender install with a VW bug fender gasket to prevent the rocks.

Clean!

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

1/3 the cost of a new expensive bumper? jesus christ
Your idea of the cost of an expensive bumper is interesting. Simple steel bumpers from the factory are $2k.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Lance... Funny thing you asked since I had just asked @Heimkehr the same question. I was able to find this thread in the DIY section. I assume you meant CarPlay and not AirPlay perhaps? Or I just don't know what AirPlay is. Could be either of those things!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-2-x-20w-pd-usb-c-ports-on-upper-dash.106419/
Also, thanks for digging that up! Now to figure out if I can get a USB-C cable routed up there for CarPlay, instead of a USB-A jack.

No real reason other than about 95% of my cables are USB-C/Thunderbolt these days. Easy to replace with something I’ve got already, then buy again if one breaks.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Also, thanks for digging that up! Now to figure out if I can get a USB-C cable routed up there for CarPlay, instead of a USB-A jack.

No real reason other than about 95% of my cables are USB-C/Thunderbolt these days. Easy to replace with something I’ve got already, then buy again if one breaks.
Amazon has a mini a to usb c adapter I was going to try and use. All I need is one cable for CarPlay and charging. Gonna try that and see if it works.