What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
That is definitely on my list! I am really liking the black/GD look. How are you planning to do it?I'm debating a couple things:

1) Grille inserts/headlight trim: Do I want to plasti-dip the piece I have or order a new one for ~$140 with black primer? If I use my existing trim, should I use paint or plasti-dip?

2) Do I want to do the bumpers or just maybe buy a new front bumper? Tempting..
I was planning on removing the front grille, then the silver pieces inside it, then plastidipping versus actual paint. Reason is, the dip is removable, so not permanent.

I am intrigued though with your $140 comment with black primer. Are you talking the grille or the inserts for the headlights/grille itself? At $140, I might consider just buying the pieces so I have silver OEM trim on hand. Do you have a link?

As for the bumper silver trim, I don't believe those are removable, so I was just going to tape and spray. There was a guy on a thread here who did just that, on his black Sahara, and it came out awesome.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
What I did today - contacted my dealership, and they let me know that I went into "G - Trim" status today. So I think he said that it should be done this week. I am HOPING she's gonna be here by Memorial Day, but I have big doubts. :(

draffind

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
Got her all washed up, soft top put on, and finally got the spare tire mounted.

brake.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

Gunnut45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 2018 jlu
FCR JLU Sport S
JLUR take off KO2s... kept on my sport wheels (was tough decision but very happy with it).
Quadratec hood blackout.
Removed Wrangler and dealer stickers.
ROAM sidesteps.
Stubby antenna.
Mopar sill guards and fuel door.
Grab handles.
License plate bottle opener.
Hoversaurus.

Soft top is in the garage. Will swap out by end of month. Also have a steel JLUR bumper and fogs coming next week. I plan to install and take the end caps off. That ill do it. Time to enjoy summer. Cheers!

front1.jpg
front2.jpg
rear.jpg
antenna.jpg
door sill.jpg
fuel door.jpg
os handles.jpg
plate opener.jpg
jurasic.jpg
Very nice. How do you like the Roam sidesteps? I’m thinking about those or the jcroffroad rock sliders.

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Very nice. How do you like the Roam sidesteps? I’m thinking about those or the jcroffroad rock sliders.
I like them a lot so far. I haven't wired in the lighting yet. TTEChris did a great write up but I am not sure I am ready to take on. Some initial thoughts on the ROAM sidesteps:

- they look great
- they sit higher than some other steps and cover up the crimped edge nicely - might be too high if you have a big lift
- they are heavy duty steps but they are not tied into the frame - I believe they tie in the same as JLUR rock rails
- install was easy - just a couple of sockets and pliers
- if you are installing on a sport you will have to buy 6 screws (and washer) - JLUR guys have these left over from their rock rails.
- they suggest threadlocker
- when you are installing be careful not to rub the step against the side of the jeep

Cheers!

halw9000

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 JKU, Ordering JLU Sahara
I was planning on removing the front grille, then the silver pieces inside it, then plastidipping versus actual paint. Reason is, the dip is removable, so not permanent.

I am intrigued though with your $140 comment with black primer. Are you talking the grille or the inserts for the headlights/grille itself? At $140, I might consider just buying the pieces so I have silver OEM trim on hand. Do you have a link?

As for the bumper silver trim, I don't believe those are removable, so I was just going to tape and spray. There was a guy on a thread here who did just that, on his black Sahara, and it came out awesome.
Here is the link for what I found:

https://www.justforjeeps.com/6cg99tzzac.html
Edit: I think with this you may still want to do a matte clear coat or something.

I saw the guy who plasti-dipped the front bumper trim and it did look pretty good. I am thinking I may do that tonight, but I do not know if I want to do it before I figure out the grille--that would look pretty silly haha.

I'm getting it tinted on Wednesday as well so I am excited to see a more ocmplete black/GC look.

Gegjeff

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon - 2017 Ford Raptor - 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 2017 Ford F150
Was the bumper and winch an easy install? Any issues come up? I'm installing a barricade adventure HD front bumper and smitty h2o this weekend.
Install the winch to the bumper before you put the bumper on. The bumper has 2 sets of holes for the winch. Install the winch in the holes farthest out (to the front). It might rub against the bumper, but the back holes will make the winch hit the grill. Also be sure to install the control box to the winch prior to installing on the bumper. The connectors are on the bottom of the winch and too tight to install easily. If you are installing the fog lights from a Rubicon bumper (plastic), you will need to take the bumper apart to get the wiring for the fog lights out. The LED lights and wiring fit perfectly. It won't be difficult to install if you follow these steps. I also highly suggest having someone help lift the bumper up into the holes. Needless to say, I learned many of the items above from having to do and undo many things.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Install the winch to the bumper before you put the bumper on. The bumper has 2 sets of holes for the winch. Install the winch in the holes farthest out (to the front). It might rub against the bumper, but the back holes will make the winch hit the grill. Also be sure to install the control box to the winch prior to installing on the bumper. The connectors are on the bottom of the winch and too tight to install easily. If you are installing the fog lights from a Rubicon bumper (plastic), you will need to take the bumper apart to get the wiring for the fog lights out. The LED lights and wiring fit perfectly. It won't be difficult to install if you follow these steps. I also highly suggest having someone help lift the bumper up into the holes. Needless to say, I learned many of the items above from having to do and undo many things.
Thank you!!!!!!! :beer::beer::beer:

dhutcheson

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL JLUR
Dan,
I do not have any pics farther out but I will take some. The antenna is a Tarheel Antennas. Little Tarheel II http://www.tarheelantennas.com. the lower portion is 16" and the Upper whip is 32" the way I have it configured it tunes frequency by moving from the 48" up tp 54". then if I want better performance range and add different band a can replace the 32" whip with a 56" whip then the radio will tune from 3.4 mhz to 30 mhz on the HF side. What is not in the picture is the ground straps tying panels together or the mix 31 RF choke which I consider a prime part of the setup. I also carry wire dipole for camp just throw it over a tree
Sorry, I must have miscommunicated. I was wanting to see a more panoramic shot of the antenna, so I could see more of it and its total height, along with the setup inside your Jeep. Just curious about different comm setups. Your's looks like it would be fascinating.
The way it is set up now it is a few inches above the roof line

4F6BB685-1BE0-46AC-8947-33B314E99907.jpeg

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
I like them a lot so far. I haven't wired in the lighting yet. TTEChris did a great write up but I am not sure I am ready to take on. Some initial thoughts on the ROAM sidesteps:

- they look great
- they sit higher than some other steps and cover up the crimped edge nicely - might be too high if you have a big lift
- they are heavy duty steps but they are not tied into the frame - I believe they tie in the same as JLUR rock rails
- install was easy - just a couple of sockets and pliers
- if you are installing on a sport you will have to buy 6 screws (and washer) - JLUR guys have these left over from their rock rails.
- they suggest threadlocker
- when you are installing be careful not to rub the step against the side of the jeep

Cheers!
Great point on the additional screws!
I was just about to make a post on this. I have a sports model and Roam steps rattled a bit without those 6 bolts. I found a picture from TTChris showing bolts in the tub, and he explained that bolts came with Rubi rails.
I picked up 6 bolts (size M8 with 1.5 inch in length) with washers from Home Depot. Steps are rock solid now after putting those 6 bolts in the tub underneath.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Finally received my JCR crusader front bumper, nice fit and finish and the winch fit perfect. The hardest part was running the power cables to the battery. I took off the grill and air intake. Just made it easier. Made my own rear hatch LED camping light. I'm so happy with this extra light, right where it's needed. Thanks to whoever came up with the idea. Used power from the 12volt plug. The switch fit in the existing channel.
Do you have any more details on the wiring, install for this genius light idea?

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
Got the Spiderweb shade installed, Stubby antenna, decals, added some molle items to the tailgate. Fun! So much more to do :)
IMG_20180513_131058.jpg
IMG_20180513_132108.jpg
IMG_20180513_135132.jpg
IMG_20180513_135214.jpg
IMG_20180513_135540.jpg
IMG_20180513_135655.jpg
How did you attach the molle items to the tailgate?

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
JTOPS, 13in Antenna x, Door sills, All windows tint 20%, Cargo cover, JLUR just turned 1000 miles and no issues with wind noise. Each day is a different look...

vonbek

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
How did you attach the molle items to the tailgate?
At the moment, zip ties that the straps can slide through. I'm going to experiment this week with nylon straps and/or d-rings (not shackles)