Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
UPDATE ON REAR TAILGATE HINGE LIGHTS

Found some time this afternoon to pull the add-on lights wiring loom and separate the left brake light from the right brake light (see my earlier post #46,134 on page 3076). In fact, in retrospect, I would strongly recommend that if you buy these lights, do that right away and skip trying to wire the red wire into the CHMSL (3rd brake light). Took me longer to heat the solder gun than pull the loom apart and separate wires. In essence, I pulled the left red (brake) wire out of the loom before it met up with the right light and soldered it to a jumper down to the left taillight wires (you will have to pull the taillights off on both sides and you will need a DC meter or voltage test light to test each of the pins on the factory wiring plug to find the wire that corresponds to the appropriate function). The other three wires can run down into either taillight for running and reverse lights, as well as the ground, but you will need to run the right add-on light brake wire to the right taillight to get your right turn signal function. Tie into all four of these wires with whatever method you are comfortable (I use solder or 3M scotchloks).

I now have four (4) functions in my add-on hinge lights: 1) brake light, 2) running light, 3) reverse light, and 4) turn signal. Plus 4-way flashers. Admittedly, the reverse light is not that bright and I would not necessarily recommend these just for that function (however, I haven’t given it a great test yet, either), but I like the idea of additional rear-end protection and for those without factory LED, the add-on LED lights will light up just a hair quicker than non-LED which just may be the difference needed to avoid being rear-ended. And for $33, what the heck, why not.

Here’s a quick video on the final project. Good luck! PM me if you have any questions. Steve

Last edited:

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Installed Xpel Paint Protection Film on the front edge of my hood to protect against rock chips. (Look closely to see the line)

My first time ever working with the material and it came out perfect! I also covered all my hinges in PPF
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 2E7477AA-D54B-40AD-AA39-6381D1C99BE3

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Installed Xpel Paint Protection Film on the front edge of my hood to protect against rock chips. (Look closely to see the line)

My first time ever working with the material and it came out perfect! I also covered all my hinges in PPF
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 2E7477AA-D54B-40AD-AA39-6381D1C99BE3
Great to see. I have a 6in wide roll that I want to do the exact same thing. Hood, painted fenders and hinges. Any other pics?

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6

Was this a kit from somewhere ?

Anotherwillsmith

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUSS
I bought a 6” roll of xpel off Amazon and covered my hinges this week. Thought crossed my mind to cover front of hood with the remainder. I may go back and try it after seeing this.

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Great to see. I have a 6in wide roll that I want to do the exact same thing. Hood, painted fenders and hinges. Any other pics?
Video below, pardon the dirt.

Some tips for applying:
• Use a slip mix to make application a little easier. I used a spray bottle mixed with 2 drops of dish soap and 16oz of water for my mix. It makes easy work of repositioning and squeezing out bubbles​
• Xpel is very forgiving. While installing, I unpeeled and repositioned it a few times with no issue. There were also some tiny bubbles when I finished — but they worked themselves out after a couple days​

Was this a kit from somewhere ?
Yep. I ordered it from Amazon here

Last edited:

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Like the wheels!

EZPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Not Done Yet. Always something. So last night decided to play with MP Concepts Aluminum bumper. Got my old Plastic bumper off. Removed the lights and the loom. Started to putting the new pumper together. Fog lights have a different attachment than the bracket provided. Called Extreme Terrain. Customer service said should fit 18-22 Jeeps JL. OK I have a 2020 Willys. Oh, that one is different. So not ALL 18-22 Jeeps. Would have been nice to know that first. Now what, I ask them? Well would you like to speak to our sales? We would gladly sell you some new fog lights. Personally I would want lights that would plug into existing fog light connection. Or buy new factory lights that will use the factory loom and connection.:mad::facepalm:

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? Bumper

Last edited:

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Not Done Yet. Always something. So last night decided to play with MP Concepts Aluminum bumper. Got my old Plastic bumper off. Removed the lights and the loom. Started to putting the new pumper together. Fog lights have a different attachment than the bracket provided. Called Extreme Terrain. Customer service said should fit 18-22 Jeeps JL. OK I have a 2020 Willys. Oh, that one is different. So not ALL 18-22 Jeeps. Would have been nice to know that first. Now what, I ask them? Well would you like to speak to our sales? We would gladly sell you some new fog lights. Personally I would want lights that would plug into existing fog light connection. Or buy new factory lights that will use the factory loom and connection.:mad::facepalm:

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? Bumper
That sucks! I went with RockHard4x4 Aluminum Patriot bumper and the OEM LED fogs plugged right in. Sorry I am no help.

Hope they can rectify it for you. I think I would be lobbying for free fogs or return the dang bumper due to their misleading advertising.