Link
Occupation
Technician

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
First mods so far very minor. Installed quadratec ultimate all season floor mats and cargo mat. Installed rubber tubing gasket in between the fender flares and body gap. I also checked the oil level and all fuses for proper seating. Half were not fully seated. Also put cap on windshield fluid reservoir. Clowns in service dept. Need their work checked. They even left their dipstick rag bunched up right under the hood latch...unbelievable. Tomorrow will be 3m tape protection on sills and hinges....

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
First mods so far very minor. Installed quadratec ultimate all season floor mats and cargo mat. Installed rubber tubing gasket in between the fender flares and body gap. I also checked the oil level and all fuses for proper seating. Half were not fully seated. Also put cap on windshield fluid reservoir. Clowns in service dept. Need their work checked. They even left their dipstick rag bunched up right under the hood latch...unbelievable. Tomorrow will be 3m tape protection on sills and hinges....
Holy shit! You got it! Lol. Congrats man. "Floods" sounds awesome on the Premium system! ;)

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Finished the install of the potted rear locker sensor. One down, one to go.
Had never heard of this until a few days ago and now it seems like I’d be stupid not to do it while putting on diff covers/skids in the coming weeks.

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
The problems with the overall design of the JL tailgate (despite the new hinges versus the JK) are two things:

1. They are allowing the tailgate itself to be a load bearing member which it being made of an aluminum skin over magnesium is a terrible idea.
2. The hinges are too short. Had they made them about 18-24" inches long with 4 bolts in each hinge, then it may have been able to deal with larger, heavier tires.
As someone that has worked in Aerospace for a long time, the fact that the tailgate is aluminum over magnesium hardly disqualifies it as "load bearing". It is just intended (designed) for a certain load. I'd prefer the lower corrosion issues and the weight savings. Also, anyone have any verification that any structure in the JL is actually magnesium?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Had never heard of this until a few days ago and now it seems like I’d be stupid not to do it while putting on diff covers/skids in the coming weeks.
I don't know what percentage of these locker sensors are leaking/shorting and failing but a $400 ea. I went ahead and am potting mine for less than $30. They should never leak/fail.

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I don't know what percentage of these locker sensors are leaking/shorting and failing but a $400 ea. I went ahead and potted mine for less than $24 ea. and they should never leak/fail.
Yup, cheap insurance.

Can you even buy these sensors? In the past the only way to get them was to buy the axle assembly!

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Last edited:

cbh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Retired Air Force
Added the Maximus 3 XLP bumper bar. Plan to mount some lp4 lights in the future.
1175D93A-CB65-4D1C-8329-A522F743230B.jpeg
I just mounted a pair of Baja Designs LP6 Driving/Combo lights (from Brad at Total Z Parts) directly to the winch cover plate. I was not expecting them to be as bright as they are, especially the 1,700 Lumen side lights. I’m definitely going to piss off the dog walkers in my neighborhood if I have to turn them on. I also connected the Amber Backlights, which requires running a separate pair of wires.

The installation was straight forward; no surprises; no challenges.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? tempImage9XLZu9
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? tempImageCaECl7
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? tempImageJyZwnd
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? tempImageHTq2bF
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? tempImageLZVSel
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? tempImagerESq31

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
As someone that has worked in Aerospace for a long time, the fact that the tailgate is aluminum over magnesium hardly disqualifies it as "load bearing". It is just intended (designed) for a certain load. I'd prefer the lower corrosion issues and the weight savings. Also, anyone have any verification that any structure in the JL is actually magnesium?
No matter how you slice it, FCA's design is piss poor to say the least--the tailgate should not be load bearing no matter what it made of and this is despite the fact that it is an improvement over the JK series. Having that short of a hinge with only 4 bolts on a tailgate that long with a marginally effective latch and a large tire on the back does not add up to a good experience in any book--as evidenced by the many who replace it.

Lower corrosion does not seem to be an attribute of this design with all of the paint bubbling that happens. I would wonder how much weigh savings actually happened over steel and it would seem that steel would be less of an issue with corrosion--at least you could fix it.

Last edited:

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
No matter how you slice it, FCA's design is piss poor to say the least--the tailgate should not be load bearing no matter what it made of and this is despite the fact that it is an improvement over the JK series. Having that short of a hinge with only 4 bolts on a tailgate that long with a marginally effective latch and a large tire on the back does not add up to a good experience in any book--as evidenced by the many who replace it.

Lower corrosion does not seem to be an attribute of this design with all of the paint bubbling that happens. I would wonder how much weigh savings actually happened over steel and it would seem that steel would be less of an issue with corrosion--at least you could fix it.
It is fair to say that mounting the spare on the gate is not ideal. However, that is the same for the Wrangler, Defender, and Bronco. There are only 2 reasons for it: clearance and style.

Thinking about this: do the Recons get a heavier duty hinge/gate?