What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I installed a Clayton Off-Road 2.5" Overland+ lift and RK no limits sway bar links on the 392XR. Did the install by myself in the garage. It took me 2 full days plus a couple of hours last night to get it finished so don't feel bad if you don't get it done in the 8hrs others claim! I ordered SAE Tekton crowfoots in the jam nut sizes listed in the Clayton instructions and both were too small. I wonder if the metric equivalents would work or if the Tektons are just smaller than advertised.

I made steady progress on the install until I got to the passenger side rear spring. The dual-rate Clayton was long enough that when I got the axle drooped enough height-wise the spring was contacting and attempting to bend around the gas tank. An externally mounted spring compressor would have made the job easy but where is the fun in that!? Lots of failed methods and even one install of the spring upsidedown made for a long Sunday afternoon. I finally triumphed and the driver side took less than 10min afterward.

I'm using the Clayton recommended lengths currently and I'm not going to bother measuring caster angles until the springs settle to their final height. I got the jam nuts as tight as I could with my 16" adjustable wrench but they are nowhere near as tight as I could have got them with the 250ft-lb torque wrench which is significantly longer.

Today I played the "Is that a crosswind or does my draglink need further adjustment?" game and started on the compression clicker settings for on-road driving with the Fox 2.5DSCs.

My 392XR only had about 3" of up-travel from the factory and I installed this lift specifically to increase that up-travel. After one day of driving around the lift has added 2" of up-travel to my Jeep. If it stays above 1" of additional travel after spring settling I'll be happy.

I have a small drainage notch on my property that I can drive across that would harshly bottom the stock suspension and softly bottom the Fox 2.5DSCs at full high-speed compression clickers. There is also some secret double-track not too far from my house that serves as "off-road" testing without driving to the local OHVs. The 5" of up-travel that the lift has provided has transformed this Jeep when the pavement ends. "Did I break something?" bump stop hits are now marshmallow middle of the travel non-events. I now feel as though the suspension matches the personality of the engine. I'll save my full review until I get a couple of hundred miles on the highway and a few days off-road but I am very happy with my initial driving impressions.

Control arms, photos do no justice to the difference from stock.
IMG-0837.jpg

Mid process. First time in my life I truly needed both bottle jacks and the floor jack simultaneously.
IMG-0835.jpg

Pre-lift up-travel. The oil marks represent the full up-travel available after many bottom-out events at Hidden Falls Adventure Park with fellow forum members.
IMG-0832.jpg

Post-lift shock measurement of the same shock. A solid 2" increase. Would love to end up around 1.5" over stock after settling.
IMG-0861.jpg

Pre-lift side shot.
IMG-0528.jpg

Post lift shots.
IMG-0862.jpg

IMG-0860.jpg
Does that mean weā€™ll need a shakedown run soon?

Scott

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
For the door, I just followed what others have done here. I think thereā€™s an opportunity to deaden the doors quite a bit with differing types/sizes of weatherstripping. My first attempt was too much, the door would hardly close and was bowed out. I just peaked it off and repositioned a few times till the door would shut. I think thereā€™s some further optimisations I could make.

As for the roof, what works for me might not help most people as I have a different roof. Mines a camper top that replaces the hard top.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
For the door, I just followed what others have done here. I think thereā€™s an opportunity to deaden the doors quite a bit with differing types/sizes of weatherstripping. My first attempt was too much, the door would hardly close and was bowed out. I just peaked it off and repositioned a few times till the door would shut. I think thereā€™s some further optimisations I could make.

As for the roof, what works for me might not help most people as I have a different roof. Mines a camper top that replaces the hard top.
If you get it set, Iā€™d be very happy if you could post some pics. Iā€™d like to do this as well but donā€™t have the time to experiment.

Longhorn90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L
Posting a bit belatedā€¦. Over the holidays, added an Ironman 4x4 roof rack. Welded aluminum, so saves weight. Love the welded mesh full base on it which gives lots of tie down options. Went for the ā€™tradeā€™ version with open front and rear to allow for long items to fit flat. Simple clamps for gutter mount. Only shortcoming could be that their isnā€™t a lock available for the clamps, so could ā€˜walk offā€™.

And thatā€™s their rooftop Cargo bag on it in first picture. Sturdy construction and held up great.

I had previously posted on my install of the Ironman Raid Rock Sliders. They are working out awesome as steps for getting in (albeit height challenged wife would prefer they had a lower step plate) and for giving a wide, flat step surface to move cargo around on the roof.

Thus far, really liking the Ironman 4x4 products.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 6C4A3939-7D92-4A59-8E01-8293330DD565
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 698DE63B-DF4F-4B56-9F41-AFF835F1A8ED

Jreycnc

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 3.6/AT JLUR, 21 392
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, unfortunately no, I ordered them early November and they finally came in (yeah..!). They fit perfectly. (I was going to post on the "for sale forum" as I have another set still in the box unopened)
Send me a pm, maybe I can just take them off your hands!

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
A few reasons:

1. I don't really like the idea of having to leave something connected.
2. I have some warranty work coming up and it is a hassle having to disconnect/unmarry it--which means it loses the axle ratio and tire size.
3. For the things that I use the Tazer for, the JSCAN is more than adequate.
4. I want my changes written "permanently" to the PCM as opposed to being "hosted" in an add-on device.
5. Last, but certainly not least, I positively despise the Tazer menu functionality and operation. The JSCAN menu is totally straightforward and logical. Tazer reminds me of Nintendo Contra with it's Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, A, B similarity to move through the menu.
I kind of had same list in my head when originally deciding.
1. I keep ESS on. It really is of no consequence to me.
2. No requirement for a "light show"

So JScan was an easy choice coupled with costs.
I would like live swaybar and locker options but really, not the 3nd of the world. Same with some of the camera features like cam on while turning and whatnot. Not the end of the world though.

I also read that Taser is implementing the "dig" feature similar to what the Bronco has. That would also be cool but again, not sure if I would ever use it to make the Taser purchase worthwhile.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Does that mean weā€™ll need a shakedown run soon?

Scott
I believe it is more of an obligation than an option. Itā€™s a heavy responsibility but it must be taken on.

iddpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

monctxmo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 YJ (sold); '10 4Runner; '21 JLUR
Installed some cupholders. :rock:

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_0816

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_0816
I like these cup holders... do you recommend? Do they completely block the airflow when closed? Looks like they block the majority but may let some air through. Also, can you still turn the vent with these installed?

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I like these cup holders... do you recommend? Do they completely block the airflow when closed? Looks like they block the majority but may let some air through. Also, can you still turn the vent with these installed?
It actually lets out about the same air flow. It has a rubber gasket around the back, that seals it against the dashboard and blows all the air through the gap. You can still turn the vent, but you canā€™t angle it.

I do like them. Iā€™m usually one who doesnā€™t like non-oem looking plastic in my Jeep, but this looks great to me. It definitely wonā€™t hold any heavy drinks, but itā€™s great for a bottle of water. I also like how the a/c blows right on whatever drink is in there.

image.jpg

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
It actually lets out about the same air flow. It has a rubber gasket around the back, that seals it against the dashboard and blows all the air through the gap. You can still turn the vent, but you canā€™t angle it.

I do like them. Iā€™m usually one who doesnā€™t like non-oem looking plastic in my Jeep, but this looks great to me. It definitely wonā€™t hold any heavy drinks, but itā€™s great for a bottle of water. I also like how the a/c blows right on whatever drink is in there.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? image
That's cool... what's the brand? Are they on Amazon?

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS