Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

Installed the Rusty’s spare tire carrier. Not gonna lie this was a pain of a project. Jeep was apart for a week just could not get my tailgate to adjust right or close correctly. No fault to Rustys (besides lacking instructions) I think my tailgate from the factory was not seated very well. I was so annoyed with putting the whole thing together to then have to take it back apart when it wouldn’t close right. I got stubborn and said I’m not taking it off again we will just have to get the shim out with everything attached. Ended up losing the shim down inside the body. Managed to get it out and I said F it let’s try tightening it…someone was watching over me cause it closed perfectly 😂 no shims on top but one on the bottom…which is the opposite of the instructions. Very happy with the results now. Just wish it had gone smoother :)
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 654E5E59-68C6-4F73-AD7A-C25C51456ED4

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
Installed my Amazon special steel shelf. Honestly don’t see the point in buying a “name brand” shelf. This one is well put together, good finish and I am quite pleased. A couple dings in the corner from shipping but nothing major. $150 CAD plus tax shipped to my door.

Improves the grocery getting capabilities of this off road beast 😂
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 29AF8A4D-16F8-4775-AA8D-F0EB2BBE91A5

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Installed my Amazon special steel shelf.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 29AF8A4D-16F8-4775-AA8D-F0EB2BBE91A5
Nice.

Can a quick release be configured for the center piece, to accommodate easy removal when carrying tall cargo?

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
Nice.

Can a quick release be configured for the center piece, to accommodate easy removal when carrying tall cargo?
It currently uses some nylon locking nuts, probably just so it doesn’t rattle loose/make noise. I might look into getting some wing nuts and see how it works. Currently you just need a 6mm Allen key and a 17mm wrench/socket.
Pretty quick to take down as it is.

will516713

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Installed the Rusty’s spare tire carrier. Not gonna lie this was a pain of a project. Jeep was apart for a week just could not get my tailgate to adjust right or close correctly. No fault to Rustys (besides lacking instructions) I think my tailgate from the factory was not seated very well. I was so annoyed with putting the whole thing together to then have to take it back apart when it wouldn’t close right. I got stubborn and said I’m not taking it off again we will just have to get the shim out with everything attached. Ended up losing the shim down inside the body. Managed to get it out and I said F it let’s try tightening it…someone was watching over me cause it closed perfectly 😂 no shims on top but one on the bottom…which is the opposite of the instructions. Very happy with the results now. Just wish it had gone smoother :)
Did you keep that extra “tab” on the carrier that requires you to drill 4 holes into the tailgate? A lot of ppl have been cutting that section off. I’m thinking bout doing the same whenever mine arrives.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

Did you keep that extra “tab” on the carrier that requires you to drill 4 holes into the tailgate? A lot of ppl have been cutting that section off. I’m thinking bout doing the same whenever mine arrives.
I did not drill the holes. I bought some weather stripping foam and put it on the back to protect the paint. I feel like it adds support so no need to cut it off in my opinion.

Mithrandir_Jlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU sport
Bought some mounting bases for my packout cases to lock into.

Modified the one to be ‘half’ width (since Milwaukee doesn’t make one). And then make some mounting brackets and bolted them down using the d-ring tie downs in the bed with M8 hardware. Completely reversible to get them out, no holes drilled.

Spent a good bit of time getting the brackets and mounting plates in a good spot where the subwoofer still had room to breath, left space on both sides to tie additional things down to the anchor points for ratchet straps or the like (not block any tie points already there), left clearance for the rear seat so if you stacked them higher they wouldn’t hit, and then I modified the flap so you can still access the floor storage

This is what I was looking to do as well! How did you modify your storage flap?

Canes_JL

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4xe / 2023 Rubicon XR
Clubs

Installed my Amazon special steel shelf. Honestly don’t see the point in buying a “name brand” shelf. This one is well put together, good finish and I am quite pleased. A couple dings in the corner from shipping but nothing major. $150 CAD plus tax shipped to my door.

Improves the grocery getting capabilities of this off road beast 😂
I’ve been debating on a cargo shelf, wonder if it would fit with my XG Gama bags

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I’ve been debating on a cargo shelf, wonder if it would fit with my XG Gama bags
I've been looking at the XG Gama bags, you like them?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I've been looking at the XG Gama bags, you like them?
You can't put any significant weight in them, good for light items. The frames bend to easily with any kind of side loading (going around a turn fast with heavy items in them) and they start to flop around side to side. If you keep the weight down they are pretty nice.

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Did you have to take off your metal rocker that was on from factory if yours came with one? I would like to get these for my Willys, but have the metal rocker guard like the Rubicon.
To install the Bushwacker thing you have to take off the rubi rails and then add the bushwacker on, but after you can re-add the rubi rails on top of it.

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This is what I was looking to do as well! How did you modify your storage flap?
The storage flap on the floor is just like 1” thick cardboard covered in carpet. I just took it out and carefully cut it where I wanted with a razor almost all of the way through and then bent it along the seam I was cutting the rest would snap (like drywall). This way I didn’t cut through the carpet on top.

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Installed a Tazer to for the tire change. Seems to shift better, but maybe it just me. Hope to be thru for a while. Haven't had this thing 3 months and it has became a money pit. Harley's were bad, but this don't end
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1105211551_HDR
. Been pricing 392XRs. Got it bad, and this site is not helping. But thanks.

Canes_JL

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4xe / 2023 Rubicon XR
Clubs

Added a license plate bracket. Eventually the plan is to replace the rear bumper that would otherwise require a plate relocation mount.

C9E7DABD-036E-48A5-BED7-2B8625C8D884.jpeg