What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I've been working to get the JL (and JK) ready for the northern part of the Appalachian Byway. We're heading out Thursday morning. So I swapped the soft top for the hard top, rotated/balanced the tires, put on the Sunrider, cleaned out the interior, changed the oil today using my old stash of Shell Rotella Gas truck that I picked up for $2 a quart a couple years ago, and installed a new GMRS radio.

It is a Wouxun KG1000G 50 watt powerhouse! It is a bit large, but the faceplate mounts remotely, so I came up with a way to mount it on a RAM ball in the dash tray. It works really well. The head unit is under my seat. The speakers in the head unit and microphone aren't quite loud enough, though, so I'm going to pick up an external speaker and figure out a way to mount it near my head.

PXL_20211010_154311823.jpg

Next up is a wash/wax and attach the 3.5 gallon rotopax spare mount, then she's ready to go!
How do you like the Garmin Overland?

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
what kind of extended fender flairs are you running?
Homemade. I forgot what the material is called, but I'll do my best to remember to look it up. I may need a reminder.

Teneski

First Name
Teneski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Unlimited Mojito MOAB
Occupation
Entreperneur
How does the glass part of the mirror come out? Been wanting to do this but I am worried about breaking the mirror.
There is no need to remove the glass mirror. You only need to remove the skull cap. Just do it before you take the mirror Assy off of your jeep (you have to remove the Assy the run the wires).
If you don’t have these tools already, go to HarborFreight and buy these tools (they are very inexpensive ).
Take your time. Again, take your time.
The second picture is the inside of the skull cap. There are small and fragile clips in the mirror Assy that hold the skull cap onto the main Assy. I marked them with yellow and pink pins. Be careful and don’t break them. Time is your best friend.
The third picture shows you where the clips are on the skull cap that release the skull cap from the Assy. This is the drivers side cap. The pink pins are the top side.
Here we go…. Looking at the mirror, turn the mirror as far to the left as you can. This will give you enough room to release the top right clip with the orange pick(see pic). With your other free hand pull back on the skull cap. It won’t go back far but just enough to insert the flat yellow trim tool(see pic)
The trim tool will apply enough pressure to keep the clips from reattaching themselves. Work you way to around the mirror glass counter clockwise releasing the clips. Just turn the glass mirror as you go from side to side/top to bottom so you can access the clips, That’s it. Just remember to take your time and be gentle. If you can get someone to hold a small high powered led flashlight it makes it easier to see the clips inside the Assy. Now you can remove the inside door panel and then remove the mirror Assy with the skull cap detached.
If you have more questions just ask. I hope I have explained this Well enough to help you.

Teneski

First Name
Teneski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Entreperneur
How does the glass part of the mirror come out? Been wanting to do this but I am worried about breaking the mirror.
So, the mirror glass is removed just by pulling/yanking a bit?
No, See my other post describing how to release the skull cap. Do not remove the mirror glass. It's not necessary and you most likely will damage the clips that attach the mirror glass and even worse break the mirror. Whomever is saying to pull the glass off to access the skull cap clips is giving bad advice.

Last edited:

Teneski

First Name
Teneski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Entreperneur
Below is what you will need to convert your US mirrors over to the EURO style with the turn signal.
The mirror caps are the Euro Mopar version. These match the finish of the standard black US caps.
Order online from the dealer below. (Best price I could find) They will ship them to you. Just make sure you follow-up with them on your shipment. It takes about four days for them to get them and another 4-5 days to ship them to you.
Pop the skull caps off while the mirrors are still mounted on your doors. You do not have to remove the actual mirror from the housing (Not necessary and you could end up breaking the glass mirror. Don't listen to other's that tell you to pop off the mirror glass) With the right tools, you can install these in 60-90 minutes less the running the wires through the firewall to connect them. Let me know if you have questions on how-to.
Chrysler Jeep Dodge City of McKinney
https://parts.chryslerjeepdodgecityofmckinney.com
68361983AA1$ 32.23CAP. Mirror. Left. Export.
68361982AA1$ 32.23CAP. Mirror. Right. Export

Ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/174807632759 Turn lights $24.30 + tax

Ace Hardware : #6 or #4 1/2" SS Self Tapping Screw X4, to attach lights to mirror cap

Amazon: Firewall boot if your jeep is automatic.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K2285E?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Amazon: 20 AWG Silicone JST Plug Connector for Turn Signal Lights (Not included with Ebay lights)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4YBXYX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

If you remove your doors you will need at a minimum a couple of 2 wire connectors for the wiring.
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6LTK44?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? CA25E4B1-A851-4060-B523-61765E7836F4

Longhorn90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L
Spray painted the muffler and tailpipe black.... Rustoleum High Heat (2000 degree) spray paint.

Wife and 16yr old son walk up...
  • them: "What the heck are you doing?"
  • me: (thinking that 'painting the muffler' is gonna draw weird looks and comments) "It's a Jeep condom. In case we drive by a girlie colored Jeep. ...How do you think all those 12V Electric Power Wheels Jeeps get made? "
  • them: walk off rolling eyes. (Sense of humor not fully appreciated, but question avoided!)

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 097E5CB5-23C7-4EA1-81D2-28D71FBC70F8

Last edited:

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got my AAL lights installed and fenders trimmed. We did a little bit of decorating on the yard too.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 097E5CB5-23C7-4EA1-81D2-28D71FBC70F8
like the stance of your rig. What size wheel spacers are you running?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
like the stance of your rig. What size wheel spacers are you running?
No wheel spacers at all. The width is just from the backspacing of the wheels. KMC 17x9 Machete beadlocks with 3.5" of backspacing. Just a 2"spacer lift, Mopar lift Fox shocks, AAL fender brace chop. I still have to flex it out to see if the bumpstops are set up properly.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
No wheel spacers at all. The width is just from the backspacing of the wheels. KMC 17x9 Machete beadlocks with 3.5" of backspacing. Just a 2"spacer lift, Mopar lift Fox shocks, AAL fender brace chop. I still have to flex it out to see if the bumpstops are set up properly.
how many inches do the tires stick out of the fenders?

SC_Paco

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Hey Frank,
Funny you should mention that. I have been hearing noises. I can actually feel it in my feet, just slightly, sometimes. I first thought it might be the ball joint issue that other people are having, but mine were fine. Plus the noise happens so randomly and erratically that it didn't seem like that would be the case. Just recently I began to wonder if it might be the rock sliders, as they are attached with the body mounts, which goes along with why I would feel the creaking with my feet. I need to get underneath and see if anything is loose.
-Joe
Hey Joe - Thanks for the info! I removed mine this weekend and the creaking noise is gone. It appears that the front body mounts rub on the tub on both sides. I could grind them down but probably will replace them

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I pulled my Bestop Sunrider off and installed it on my buds Jeep. His wife wants a Sunrider and they have a rack on their Jeep. I told him to try it for a week or so and then you will know if you you want to spend the money on it.

He has OCD. I want to make sure that it doesn't make any sound or anything that might bother him.