First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Not my Jeep, but helped my bud replace his winch and rotate his tires.

He had the Badlands winch and added the rope and a wireless controller to it. Well the wireless controller failed and sometime during the night it turned the winch on and tried pulling rope in. The rope did not break as it was rated for over the 12,000 pound pull of the winch. The winch just kept pulling and pulling, tweaking the winch mounting plate a little bit and while it did not great the rope, It did damage it. The winch got hot enough that it melted the negative power cable until It broke and cut the power to the winch.

While I tried to talk him out of putting another badlands winch back on...... He had bought the free replacement warranty, so we put his new badlands winch back on. This is like the 5th one I have seen fail. I think he is lucky that it did not catch on fire and burn his Jeep down.

Only a Jeep owner. $60,000 vehicle, hand me the grinder and a can of flat black spray paint. Note: I have said this myself....
1631930128806.png

So just a quick breakdown of buying a Badlands winch.

$300 for the initial winch
$180 for the "best" warranty
$129 for the synthetic rope.
$39 for the wireless remote
$20 for the Fairlead
Then another $180 for the warranty on the free winch.

Total price for running a Badlands winch on his Jeep $848+ tax $898. But at least he has a new Badlands winch.

At least Harbor Freight is easy to deal with, they just handed him a new winch and out the store we went.

I also think he is lucky that he had a high quality Poison Spyder bumper that did not collapse in on itself. While it did bend the winch mounting place a little bit it was still usable.
That’s terrifying! I put a manual switch in, I think an interrupt or switch should be mandatory.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
For piece of mind , I installed one of these ……

7F438D67-FE73-4722-AE35-C4211D5AC51E.jpeg

CED5B1E6-9250-4CFD-BE05-CF2078C96D2D.jpeg

….. just in case my winch decided to go all “Christine” on me ……. I wired it to my auxiliary switch so there’s no power to my winch unless I push the button. Might be something for your bud to consider…….
Hey there buddy!

I'm about to install a winch and already have the warn power interrupt solenoid. Should it be wired to one of the higher Amp aux switches, or would one of the lower Amp ones be sufficient? I too would rather keep Christine on the TV and off my driveway. 😆

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? christine

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there buddy!

I'm about to install a winch and already have the warn power interrupt solenoid. Should it be wired to one of the higher Amp aux switches, or would one of the lower Amp ones be sufficient? I too would rather keep Christine on the TV and off my driveway. 😆

christine.gif
I know he will answer but I kinda remember from his build thread he used aux 1. That’s one of the higher 40s correct? And seeing Christine in the driveway would definitely not be good 😂

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Hey there buddy!

Any of the aux should fine. The power gets pulled from the battery, the aux switch merely provides enough power to activate the solenoid.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Finally broke down and bought the MC front bumper and the evo warn winch. The winch was 840 dollars but included rope, fairlead, remote and 7 year warranty. I am pretty much complete on the build.
Got the exact same bumper. I love it other than the weird fairlead.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know he will answer but I kinda remember from his build thread he used aux 1. That’s one of the higher 40s correct? And seeing Christine in the driveway would definitely not be good 😂
Yeah, 1 & 2 are the higher and 3 & 4 are the lower Amp switches. The winch and mounting plate just showed up yesterday. I'm heading over there after work to check it all out and hopefully get everything installed this afternoon. It's a good thing that I've kept all of the factory takeoff hardware, because I recently gave away the 4 bolts that mount the winch plate to the frame tusks. Also, I'm glad that I didn't trim those off of the frame, because I would've made the cut above those threaded frame holes.

I plan on taking some pics to show what I ended up with, so I can properly close out my winch thread.

Thanks again for those links! Very much appreciated, buddy!
Any of the aux should fine. The power gets pulled from the battery, the aux switch merely provides enough power to activate the solenoid.
My biggest concern is not over or under fusing that solenoid. I wonder if that even matters when just tripping a solenoid. I used to know all this stuff when working up to an HVAC certification, but never made it into that field and the knowledge has faded.

It just dawned on me that the solenoid should be marked with the electrical needs. I've had the damn thing sitting on top of a pile of parts for months now, but never gave the solenoid a peak.

Thanks a bunch for chiming in!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, 1 & 2 are the higher and 3 & 4 are the lower Amp switches. The winch and mounting plate just showed up yesterday. I'm heading over there after work to check it all out and hopefully get everything installed this afternoon. It's a good thing that I've kept all of the factory takeoff hardware, because I recently gave away the 4 bolts that mount the winch plate to the frame tusks. Also, I'm glad that I didn't trim those off of the frame, because I would've made the cut above those threaded frame holes.

I plan on taking some pics to show what I ended up with, so I can properly close out my winch thread.

My biggest concern is not over or under fusing that solenoid. I wonder if that even matters when just tripping a solenoid. I used to know all this stuff when working up to an HVAC certification, but never made it into that field and the knowledge has faded.

It just dawned on me that the solenoid should be marked with the electrical needs. I've had the damn thing sitting on top of a pile of parts for months now, but never gave the solenoid a peak.

I didn’t think about winch mount when you were discussing trimming tusk. That would have been an oh sh!! moment. The winch and plate shipped pretty quick 👍🏻. Looking forward to install pics and write up of experience.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....

Good call out. I had someone ask me a couple weeks ago to help them install a solenoid for their winch the same way as mine. I told them no. The reason i refused. (Other than just the fact that i am an a$$h0le) was because the solenoid he got was only good for 100A. Didn’t make sense to install something that was waaaaay under rated for a winch that could pull 400A.

the Solenoid i used on mine is rated for 500A continuous.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I take it the Jeep fire might of been caused by Winch ? This relay/isolator keeps power off when not in use? One day will decided on which bumper to buy and winch so this would be another issue to think about. :headbang:
It's certainly a possibility. Things like winches and compressors are higher Amp draw items. If the power cable was routed in a spot that abraded through its jacketing, there would be sparks and/or heat waiting for something to ignite like fuel, oil, grease, or any dry organic material.

Using a solenoid like Warns power interrupt kit prevents having the winch powered at all times. It can simply be hooked up to one of the aux switches, and it gets wired in between the battery and winch, rather than the winch directly to the battery.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good call out. I had someone ask me a couple weeks ago to help them install a solenoid for their winch the same way as mine. I told them no. The reason i refused. (Other than just the fact that i am an a$$h0le) was because the solenoid he got was only good for 100A. Didn’t make sense to install something that was waaaaay under rated for a winch that could pull 400A.

the Solenoid i used on mine is rated for 500A continuous.
Yeah, I've had to play my asshole card on a number of similar occasions over the years. Blame always goes to the last set of hands. This is one of those critical items that shouldn't be bought out of the light bulb isle at walmart.

As soon as everything is unboxed and accounted for, I'll be double checking all of the ratings of the winch and solenoid before digging into it.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Not my Jeep, but helped my bud replace his winch and rotate his tires.

He had the Badlands winch and added the rope and a wireless controller to it. Well the wireless controller failed and sometime during the night it turned the winch on and tried pulling rope in. The rope did not break as it was rated for over the 12,000 pound pull of the winch. The winch just kept pulling and pulling, tweaking the winch mounting plate a little bit and while it did not great the rope, It did damage it. The winch got hot enough that it melted the negative power cable until It broke and cut the power to the winch.

While I tried to talk him out of putting another badlands winch back on...... He had bought the free replacement warranty, so we put his new badlands winch back on. This is like the 5th one I have seen fail. I think he is lucky that it did not catch on fire and burn his Jeep down.

Only a Jeep owner. $60,000 vehicle, hand me the grinder and a can of flat black spray paint. Note: I have said this myself....
1631930128806.png

So just a quick breakdown of buying a Badlands winch.

$300 for the initial winch
$180 for the "best" warranty
$129 for the synthetic rope.
$39 for the wireless remote
$20 for the Fairlead
Then another $180 for the warranty on the free winch.

Total price for running a Badlands winch on his Jeep $848+ tax $898. But at least he has a new Badlands winch.

At least Harbor Freight is easy to deal with, they just handed him a new winch and out the store we went.

I also think he is lucky that he had a high quality Poison Spyder bumper that did not collapse in on itself. While it did bend the winch mounting place a little bit it was still usable.

You should use the cutoff switch that comes with the winch. A failsafe from this happening again. Pretty crazy though but this may be the only way China can get at the Jeep community since we will be saving the US from itself LOL. Takes an ingenious breed that is somewhat unpredictable. As you said $60K Jeep, drive home, and immediately drill into the frame for stronger LoD rock rails.

Last edited: