First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
I agree. The ones I’ve seen flip the plate UPward and out of the way.

lol - I deserve that.

I really like that clean setup of the switch on the grab handle. I can imagine wiring veinf

This looks fantastic. Was the install simple and easy bolt on? Direct fit on existing housings?
I installed the SSV Works adapter plates in the sound bar and there is some cutting of plastic but then you can install 6.5" speakers and tweeters. For the knee panels I installed the Metra pods you can fit 6.5" speakers. Because of the design of the Memphis speakers you need to cut the tabs off the pods so the speaker fits in. On the passenger side you have to cut two notches in the pod so that the speaker fits. Its just the design of the pod and bigger speaker but I think shallow speakers would fit just fine. Took me three hours to replace knee speakers and pods since you have to take most of the dash apart. The sound bar took about two hours since I removed it to work on it on my bench. These installs are well worth the time I have incredible sound and clarity even at higher volume .

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
I installed the SSV Works adapter plates in the sound bar and there is some cutting of plastic but then you can install 6.5" speakers and tweeters. For the knee panels I installed the Metra pods you can fit 6.5" speakers. Because of the design of the Memphis speakers you need to cut the tabs off the pods so the speaker fits in. On the passenger side you have to cut two notches in the pod so that the speaker fits. Its just the design of the pod and bigger speaker but I think shallow speakers would fit just fine. Took me three hours to replace knee speakers and pods since you have to take most of the dash apart. The sound bar took about two hours since I removed it to work on it on my bench. These installs are well worth the time I have incredible sound and clarity even at higher volume .
wow thank you for the clear details. This sounds like a lot of work and I am cringing on the thought of taking the dash apart. Cutting into the plastic etc is not a big deal. But I bet you are super happy with the end result.

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
wow thank you for the clear details. This sounds like a lot of work and I am cringing on the thought of taking the dash apart. Cutting into the plastic etc is not a big deal. But I bet you are super happy with the end result.
Actually taking the dash apart isn't as bad as it sounds. Just take your time. I watched some videos on you tube which helped and when I bought the pods from Crutchfield they sent a master install sheet which helped a lot. Passenger side was easer then the drivers side but not too terrible .

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I have been looking into a simple speaker upgrade and then adding an amp later... Here is a great video about disassembling the dash and installing the bigger 6.5 inch speakers on the knee panels using the Metra pods..

And here is a detailed video on installing the knee pods/speakers.. this guy is a perfectionist !!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Frankly why does a jeep even need one of these? I had a 95 Wrangler with a broken radio and still enjoyed that jeep !

IMG_20210816_161932098_HDR.jpg
Need is subjective, and there's any number of things on modern vehicles that aren't at all necessary. Yes, a subwoofer in a Wrangler is a curious addition. ;)

lclaborn

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
Installed Teraflex Falcon SP2 3.5 e-Adjust shocks and Artec fender liners this weekend (and man, it was hot in Dallas)...
The wiring was a pain, but in the end it was worth it- the soft setting really takes the jolts out of bumps, and with the flick of a switch (which mounts on the grab handle) you can firm things up from the driver's seat. The Artec fender liners were designed to go with the shocks, and they're nice as well- but honestly I think it would have been easier to install them without reading the (really awful) instructions!

We have a long bridge with connecting seams near our house, and I started across it with the firm setting (you set the firmness you want for firm- I selected 7 out of 8, and switching to soft takes it down to 1)... Flipped the switch halfway across and immediately noticed I wasn't bouncing off the seat anymore (the firm is quite firm)!
falcon shocks.jpg

falcon switch.jpg
Well that's awesome

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Installed the Rigid 360 series 6" spot lights with amber backlights. I wired the backlighting into the fog light wire so whenever the fog lights come on the amber backlighting will come on and wired the main spot lights into the auxiliary switch 2. There are no issues tapping into the LED fog light wire if anyone is wondering about doing this with backlighting lights.

360_1.jpg

360_2.jpg
Looks nice. Do you have any pics of how/where (technique) you spiced in to the fog light wiring? Which wire do you tap in to? Where did you ground? I’d like to change my fogs to amber and then install some round off road (Rigid 360 vs BD LP) with the amber backlighting. I like the idea of using the fog circuit as an on/off vs having to uses a dedicated Aux switch just for backlighting…
I know the back lighting uses very low amps but no other problem or concerns with using the fog light circuit..no fuse changes, etc
Thanks

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I know its not a Jeep, but check out the cooking stove and grill on this New Rivian truck. all electric, Its not the truck its that grill/stove set-up.

20210817_183538.jpg

20210817_183413.jpg

20210817_183335.jpg

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Almost there. Got the Rugged Ridge HD rear bumper, RC plate relocation, and the soft top installed Sunday. Wheels finally showed up this morning, so discount got the BFGs mounted up today. Just have the lift left to go (for now).
35x12.50R17 BFG KO2s (white out) on Raceline Clutch 17x8.5 +18mm
As you can see, I gotta find some slider steps for my wife, lol.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 3CCDF383-D081-4375-AEC1-367D5B026688

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 4B47B85D-0665-41AA-AD35-A30293605110

SuboneWH

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Retired USN and GS
Almost there. Got the Rugged Ridge HD rear bumper, RC plate relocation, and the soft top installed Sunday. Wheels finally showed up this morning, so discount got the BFGs mounted up today. Just have the lift left to go (for now).
35x12.50R17 BFG KO2s (white out) on Raceline Clutch 17x8.5 +18mm
As you can see, I gotta find some slider steps for my wife, lol.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 4B47B85D-0665-41AA-AD35-A30293605110

Looking good!!

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
I know its not a Jeep, but check out the cooking stove and grill on this New Rivian truck. all electric, Its not the truck its that grill/stove set-up.

Pretty slick but it looks to be an induction countertop stove on a table. I wonder if it comes out of either side. Couldn't use that much electricity though. Great ideas to challenge the competition. Independent thought made America Great

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I've been too busy to post on this thread, so this is several days worth of what I did to my Jeep.

I installed the RC Dana m186 diff skid.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1629261645600

I installed the Rancho Dana m220 diff rock slider. I didn't bother to paint it black, and that one random red thing kind of amuses me, really.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1629261726116

While I had my right fender flare ripped off, I discovered that I made a stupid mistake routing the wire to my air compressor. Honestly, it wasn't that easy to see where the wire was actually going. The loom no longer had corrugations, and it had melted completely through in one space. One of the wires had melted through to bare conductors, and it was showing green corrosion. Crap!

So that worked out well. I electrical taped over the corrosion, threw on a new length of loom, and zip tied the whole shebang to the wires on the firewall. I may regret not using some kind of heat reflective stuff on the wires, but at least now I understand there is a problem here. I shudder to think what would have happened if this heat rot had gone a little farther. I could have spent hours chasing down the short.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1629261918578

I modified the Heim joint on a Rock Krawler front track bar, so I wouldn't have to beat it so hard to get it in place. I shaved 0.006" off either side on my lathe, and chamfered the edges, to make it easier to get started down the slot.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1629262127787

I swapped to the TeraFlex bump stops for the Falcon shocks. I don't have the Falcon shocks, but I went ahead and picked these up and installed them while I was doing my lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1629262207320

I installed the TeraFlex 2.50" base spring lift. I used Vise-Grips to hold the stupid bent wrench thing in place, while I labored through the tedious misery of screwing the bump stop down. That job sucked.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1629262285477

I got my lift far enough along to put her on the ground, and installed my Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3s and Mammoth Boulder wheels.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1629262651208

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1629262721358

I'm buttoning down the front fender flares now. I had to buy different turn signals at the last minute, and I'm dicking around with those. I hope to have this build finished in time to drive the Jeep to work tomorrow. If not, I have to fill the tank on the 1977 F350, and then fill it again tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after.

I guess this is what happens when a bunch of 20 year old kids shame me, because my crappy stock Jeep can't handle the only real Jeep trail within 250 miles of here. Prepare to eat crow, kiddies!

A guy at Walmart did a double take when I was telling him about my build, and asked, "Won't that invalidate the warranty?" Yeah, well, fsck the warranty.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I may regret not using some kind of heat reflective stuff on the wires
I just looked at that again, and resolved to throw some heavy duty aluminum foil over that whole mess tomorrow. Secure it with those aluminum twistie deals you use on chain link fences. I have a bunch around here somewhere. That'll heaterize it I tellya whut!