What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’ve seen others mount them on the bottom as well I liked that the mirrors would be about the same height as the mirrors on the doors.
I thought about putting mine on the bottom for just this reason, but I usually have my GPS unit suction-cupped to that corner of the windshield and didn't want the mirror knob to interfere with it.

I still might move them down, though. I'm going to drive it around and see how much the high mirror placement bugs me.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Awesome. Question: Doesn't look like it comes with an air dam. Do you use the factory plastic air dam, after market or none?
Thanks!
You mean the black curved plastic piece on the bottom? I think the stock one was held with 2 screws and like I think 6 or so push clips.

it does not/cannot go back on. I am running the birthday suit model of it. :)

I went with the Superwinch SX10000SR. We’ll see if I regret it.

Same warranty as Warn, and Westin bought them out a couple years back so I’m comfortable it will be honored. I got it for the same price as the Apex (630+t), and I didn’t want to roll the dice on something from HF with a 90 day warranty. It took some work for the price, I had one online vendor with one in stock match one that didn’t have it.

Motor efficiency was comparable to the Evo, and solid features. I liked some of the quality items on it compared to the evo (aluminum controller housing, sheathed wiring).

… and I liked that the color scheme matched the 4xe.
I just looked up that winch. That looks beefy too. I like it!

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
mirror1.jpg

mirror2.jpg

Installed the mounts for my Carolina Metal Masters doorless mirrors. These things were darn expensive, but... you get what you pay for. These are seriously good quality. The mounts look like they were stock. The materials are top notch. Very impressed!

The doors are back on right now, but stuck the mirrors in just to test out the position. Doors will come back off tomorrow and then we'll take these mirrors for a test drive.

Edit: And apparently I'm not the only person who installed these tonight, lol. Small world on a Jeep forum.
Wait, the Carolina Metal Masters mirrors don't use the original recessed handle bolts? They just bolt into the plastic bit?

I've been searching for crazy M6x110mm bolts this whole time.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got my DIY 2dr skid plates back from the machine shop, should have them welded, test mounted, then painted in the next week or two, heavy SOBs I must say :)

Had a good run of cardboard mock-ups since the price of steel is crazy now, no room for f-ups :(

IMG_0576.JPG
IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Wait, the Carolina Metal Masters mirrors don't use the original recessed handle bolts? They just bolt into the plastic bit?

I've been searching for crazy M6x110mm bolts this whole time.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_4364

You pull the plastic trim piece off, then you unscrew this 10mm bolt inside. Then the CMM mount slides into there and then bolts into the existing hole. Comes with all the appropriate hardware. Didn't think to take a picture of the mount before installing, but the metal mount fits snugly inside the recessed hole there.

The bolt you see on the outside is just a cap to cover the mounting hardware if you didn't order the ball mount addition.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
@jadewolf

Yep, that 10mm bolthead is the one I'm talking about. It's an M6. But super deep in there. It doesn't line up axially with the hex-keyed head going diagonally into your grab handle as per your image though.

I can't see how the CMM mirror uses that original bolt.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yep, that 10mm bolthead is the one I'm talking about. It's an M6. But super deep in there. It doesn't line up axially with the hex-keyed head going diagonally into your grab handle as per your image though.

I can't see how the CMM mirror uses that original bolt.
Yeah, the hex head isn't attached to the bolt. That's just a little cap that screws into the mount itself. If you option it with a ball mount, the ball mount would screw onto where that hex is. And under that cap is a long bolt at a different angle that replaces the stock bolt. It's hard to describe. I should have taken a picture, lol.

Reactions: GtX

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Yeah, the hex head isn't attached to the bolt. That's just a little cap that screws into the mount itself. If you option it with a ball mount, the ball mount would screw onto where that hex is. And under that cap is a long bolt at a different angle that replaces the stock bolt. It's hard to describe. I should have taken a picture, lol.

Alright, I think I get what you're saying now.

The crazy long bolt enters through where that hex head bolt/cap is installed, but at an angle, straight into the OEM spot, right? That's a smart design.

I had been trying to get a single bolt and standoff long enough to directly put a ball mount there, instead of breaking it into two assemblies.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Longhorn90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L
Added Ironman Raid Rock Rails (frame mount) to serve as a step. Pics below. With Hammerhead Pinch Seam covers/protectors behind them to hide the little bit of pinch seam you could see. The rails were a breeze to install and are solid. Were supposed to double as a step for wife, but already hearing that she was ‘thinking’ they’d have a lower step part built in (my mind reading failed that day).

Bought (not installed yet) the factory twill soft top.
Bought (hasn’t arrived yet) a Superwinch SX 12000SR and Maximus—3 Winch Plate.

Debating the Mopar 2in lift. Just not sure I need it, as sits nicely high on 35’s already. And cuz it had steel bumper pack, hardtop and hitch, had stronger springs already from factory. Also, after reading some lift stories on here, sort of worried about messing with a nice driving factory setup; at least until I find myself using it off road enough to truly need it.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? E380CD00-9F47-4AE6-95CB-09FA1A738BB5
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 17B1EC15-53C1-41B0-BC50-BDBE82457651
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? D1A5129B-1BC4-4B27-BE6E-2E56DAD45D70

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Inspected underneath the front. Noticed my steering stabilizer is leaking. Odd though, only have 7k miles on it and didn’t see any hits. The 35s shouldn’t cause it to leak right?

Looks like I’ll be getting a new one soon. Drives fine though so not rushing it.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Helped a friend (mechanic) swap my 2018 JLUS's stock M186 D30 and M220 D44 LSD axles with a set of brand new D44s with e-lockers. Along the way, I also swapped to a Synergy tie rod (necessary with the wider D44's), added a sector shaft brace, and upgraded to a Fox steering stabilizer.

This surgery was definitely beyond my mechanical skills but I had a great time and learned a ton!

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 2E5A830A-A3A6-4E39-978B-374002A0EBE7
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 2E5A830A-A3A6-4E39-978B-374002A0EBE7

Take-offs sale listing here.
Very nice upgrade.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Awesome. Question: Doesn't look like it comes with an air dam. Do you use the factory plastic air dam, after market or none?
Thanks!
You mean the black curved plastic piece on the bottom? I think the stock one was held with 2 screws and like I think 6 or so push clips.

it does not/cannot go back on. I am running the birthday suit model of it. :)

I went with the Superwinch SX10000SR. We’ll see if I regret it.

Same warranty as Warn, and Westin bought them out a couple years back so I’m comfortable it will be honored. I got it for the same price as the Apex (630+t), and I didn’t want to roll the dice on something from HF with a 90 day warranty. It took some work for the price, I had one online vendor with one in stock match one that didn’t have it.

Motor efficiency was comparable to the Evo, and solid features. I liked some of the quality items on it compared to the evo (aluminum controller housing, sheathed wiring).

… and I liked that the color scheme matched the 4xe.
I looked up that model winch. I like it! Beefy!!!

306overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ, 2020 JLU Sahara Altitude(sold), 2023 JLUR
Installed rough country seat covers 😁then drove her to the body shop to get the hood painted because it was bubbling and flaking at the hinges....😡

Jeepless for a few days now!😥
Those covers appear to be a good fit! Which sill guards do you have?