First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I too purchased my Infinitys from Crutchfield. They were on sale at the time, and the included (and necessary) adapters and the MasterSheet were free, so that put them well ahead of Amazon (which normally does have a lower price for the speakers themselves.)

The wiring adapters had reversed polarity, which I had to fix, and the speakers did not sit flush in the factory dash recesses sans a bit of trimming. Both items were brought to Crutchfield's attention. Subsequent posts from forum members experiencing the same issue with the same adapters suggests that Crutchfield is in no hurry to address the polarity issue.

Otherwise, though, the improvement in sound quality is remarkable.
The problem is the factory dash pockets are a bit small for a standard form factor 3.5. As you point out you can make them fit with some trimming, and ignore that the speakers front suspension is probably pushing on the back of the grill.

You really need a compact depth form factor speaker for that location and it is either the Kenwood's I linked, some Audio Frogs which are pricey, or some very expensive options for shallow depth BMW installs.

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
Purchased the PAC AMPpro AP4 CH41 R.2 and added an old Rockford Fosgate amp I had in the garage to my JL. The amppro is mostly plug-n-play with the exception of splicing together the speaker wires to the speaker wire harness dongle that plugs into the main radio harness. After a few self made roadblocks that caused some frustration I got everything connected. Sound is MUCH improved but I will now work on upgrading the speakers to squeeze more out of the system. Probably going to look to swap out to a new amp as well. If asked for advice i'd say DON'T try and stuff the pre-amp output box behind the radio. Not enough room. Keep it behind and to the side of the glove box. the harness has enough length to make it.

Edit: Placed amp in storage tray in back. Looking for ideas on how others secured the amp in place? The JL's storage tray is considerably larger than the one in my JK. That one barely fit an amp.....

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Watch this video first..... swapping out speakers is like going down the rabbits hole as you can do all this work and it sounds ok but not the huge improvement expected, and then you are into an amp or more, wiring, head interface units, etc, etc, etc to get it sounding great. It's $1500 by the time you get out the other side.

When someone in the Jeep club wants to swap out the speakers I won't help do beyond what's in the video unless they are doing an amp as well as it just makes me feel down when they don't love the results of their money and our work.

But what is in the video I am 100% behind - best mod you can do for under $100.

While you watch that JT has some nice interior mods you might want as well :(

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-really-audiophile-quality.74026/post-1546064
I tried to get Kenwood KFC X3C 3.5” dash speakers. at amazon, no go , they had some different ones, but says won’t fit my jeep, I tried crutchfield, out of stock, any other place sell these also do you have part number for wiring harness, not sure what they mean by reverse polarity, is that just the positive and negative switched? ..... are the kickers any good, they seem plentiful.

Keep in mind you’re dealing with a greenhorn here when it comes to stereo shit. All I know about it is how to turn it on and off. But I know what sounds good and what doesn’t. Don’t know what the guy in the video was talking about with his red and green lights on his little gadget. Apparently red was good., and green not so good. He seemed ok with one speakergiving him a green light. Appreciatecha help

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have those same wheels as your buddy , zero issues in a couple years now. Have held up great. Customer service is great as well. The chrome was coming off the center caps, maybe from the power washer, the wife called to see if we could buy them, they said no, but they’d get a set in the mail to us no charge. Had them a few days later. Just little shit, but made the wife happy.....
His wheels have held up great too. He has 50,000+ miles on those wheels and Cooper STT Pro 37s. He has completed over 40 badge of honor trails around the US in the last two years. He travel with me a lot..

bboyk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR,16 Siverado; 61 & 02 Vettes, 67 Camaro
Occupation
Finally retired! Futures industry executive
"Summerized" the Jeep this weekend.
Body Armor Gen 3 doors and Lange Coyote mirrors
1st door was a painful learning experience, but the other 3 got built and installed easily.
Mirrors were easy to do.

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240 (1).JPG

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
His wheels have held up great too. He has 50,000+ miles on those wheels and Cooper STT Pro 37s. He has completed over 40 badge of honor trails around the US in the last two years. He travel with me a lot..
That’s awesome, I thought he just got them , thought I’d give my .02, turns out , I should be asking him for review since I’m about to hit 15K on mine........ 🤣

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I tried to get Kenwood KFC X3C 3.5” dash speakers. at amazon, no go , they had some different ones, but says won’t fit my jeep, I tried crutchfield, out of stock, any other place sell these also do you have part number for wiring harness, not sure what they mean by reverse polarity, is that just the positive and negative switched? ..... are the kickers any good, they seem plentiful.

Keep in mind you’re dealing with a greenhorn here when it comes to stereo shit. All I know about it is how to turn it on and off. But I know what sounds good and what doesn’t. Don’t know what the guy in the video was talking about with his red and green lights on his little gadget. Apparently red was good., and green not so good. He seemed ok with one speakergiving him a green light. Appreciatecha help
Hey will look around tonight to see if I can find any online for you. They seem to be backordered at all the usual places as you point out.

If you get them from Crutchfield they come with the little adapter harness that goes from the Jeep wiring side connector to the speaker terminals. Those are made by Metra.

That gadget in the video you can get an app for your iPhone called Speaker Pop that does the same thing. You put a mp3 track on a usb stick, play it on the stereo, and put your iPhone running the app with the mic pointed at the speaker and it will tell you positive or negative. I am sure Android has an app similar to this as well.

Using an app or gadget is the safest way to make sure you get the polarity right as most Rubi fronts seem reversed from all the wiring diagrams, etc.

OGPizzaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hard wired my dash cam which took way longer than it should have because I didn't tuck the wire away very well when I ran it up the passenger pillar and pinched the wire hard enough to stop the current.

I thought I had either not grounded it properly or hooked into the wrong fuse. Wasn't until I went to pull the wire out entirely thinking it was bad that the cam came on when I loosened the screws in the pillar.

On a much better note...my wheels arrived today!

IMG-8300.jpg

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr

The hardest part is finding speakers with...
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? tenor (3)

FLEX 😁

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is the factory dash pockets are a bit small for a standard form factor 3.5. As you point out you can make them fit with some trimming, and ignore that the speakers front suspension is probably pushing on the back of the grill.

You really need a compact depth form factor speaker for that location and it is either the Kenwood's I linked, some Audio Frogs which are pricey, or some very expensive options for shallow depth BMW installs.
I would disagree with this. The tabs are made to fit 3 different mounting points and after trimming the edges of them they drop right into place with no interference from the top or the bottom. My drivers side required no trimming at all and it dropped in with ZERO resistance. The passenger did the same when I trimmed the corner of the tab where the hold down screw goes. The grills also do not push down on the speakers either.

For the guy NOT looking to spend thousands and IS looking to improve the sound in the Jeep, these speaker upgrades are the way to go.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I would disagree with this. The tabs are made to fit 3 different mounting points and after trimming the edges of them they drop right into place with no interference from the top or the bottom. My drivers side required no trimming at all and it dropped in with ZERO resistance. The passenger did the same when I trimmed the corner of the tab where the hold down screw goes. The grills also do not push down on the speakers either.

For the guy NOT looking to spend thousands and IS looking to improve the sound in the Jeep, these speaker upgrades are the way to go.
Learn to read a post before responding with assumptions and points I did not make.

Watch the video and learn something. Everything the professional installer states in the video explains the why's.

I also have countlessly stated doing anything except the dash and sound-bar 3.5's is a waste unless you do an amp as well. $80 for the front, $80 for the rear and done. Next step is >$1500 to do correctly and simply not worth it for most.

I wish I had watched that video before messing with my speakers as much on here is wrong and bad information.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Learn to read a post before responding with assumptions and points I did not make.

Watch the video and learn something. Everything the professional installer states in the video explains the why's.

I also have countlessly stated doing anything except the dash and sound-bar 3.5's is a waste unless you do an amp as well. $80 for the front, $80 for the rear and done. Next step is >$1500 to do correctly and simply not worth it for most.

I wish I had watched that video before messing with my speakers as much on here is wrong and bad information.
What points did you not make? You said "ignore that the speakers front suspension is probably pushing on the back of the grill".

OK, they do not, so what's your point?

You also said "swapping out speakers is like going down the rabbits hole as you can do all this work and it sounds ok but not the huge improvement expected, and then you are into an amp or more, wiring, head interface units, etc, etc, etc to get it sounding great. It's $1500 by the time you get out the other side."

I can already tell there is an improvement over the factory dash speakers which are garbage, and have no intention of spending $1500. You seem to imply that is what will be required to improve the sound and thus why I disagree.

If that is not what you are implying, then why state it?

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...do you have part number for wiring harness, not sure what they mean by reverse polarity, is that just the positive and negative switched?
Yes, the positive and negative terminals are reversed on the wiring adapters. Simply shift their positions on the adapters and they will connect correctly on the speaker terminals.

The harness nomenclature on my Crutchfield receipt is Metra 120727902 (here's the link.)