spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
spurly said:
Since I had a few people reach out to me about offering the brackets for sale, I've reached out to a local fab shop about cutting out the brackets. I'm gauging interest here to make sure it's worth everyone's time. Obviously the more people interested, the lower the price should be which I don't have yet. I'm hoping to get a quote from the fab shop this week so I can nail down the cost.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
As a former FF myself. The element extinguisher really is a gimmick. Its a victim of this whole minimalist movement. really the only good it does is put out campfires. Most people have no clue what to do in an emergency anyway, so they buy crap with style over function (FA kits, extinguishers, tools). Job security I guess, lol.

I carry a 5lb in the rear storage compartment and a FA kit there too. Half the crap they sell with the FA kits no one will ever need.
But at least people have the right idea to carry this stuff. Something is better than nothing I guess.
Well, it is good to see this, even for those of us who already purchased them.

But I don't think it is entirely fair to generalize it as people buying style over function. The prime selling points were longer run time and no damage from residue. The small size was just a bonus.

We had a great deal of discussion a year or two ago, but our resident firefighters never said a peep. So I'm guessing they did not know, either, or they would have been quick to warn us away from it.

But the good news is that now we have new information and if so inclined, can make adjustments before someone loses a Jeep, or worse. So I'm deeply appreciative of the new insight.

So I've got one of these in each of my Jeeps. I do know of a guy that used one to put out a big fire on his grille, so they may be repurposed to the back porch once I re-equip.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Based on the design of the vehicle. Even the dry chems couldn't get it out. We had to use a hose line and then pop the hood with pry bars to get the fire completely out. With the hood open it may have been an entirely different story, but we rarely see them with the hood open. There are videos showing it with an open hood. To me it was not realistic compared to what we see on calls.
I'm no expert, so please forgive any incorrect assumptions I may make. I'm in learning mode here.

So you are saying that unless you have pry bars and a fire hose, I'm not sure any portable device gives you much of a chance. So time is just better spent getting people and then essential gear clear of the vehicle ASAP.

So I'd like to see some fair comparisons between a traditional chem extinguisher and the element before relegating my $150 in elements to the back porch for grille duty.

drtrdr85

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not impressed with the Element. I was curious so I bought one to try. For training at my fire company recently we set up a sedan with an engine compartment fire. The hood was purposely left down since that it how we usually find them. I tried to put the fire out with it, but was unable to. Mind you I was in full gear with SCBA, so I was able to approach a lot closer than soneone would be able to in street clothes. Also, it seems to be an exothermic reaction, because when I tried to put it in the gap between the hood and the headlight, it started to melt the headlight. Iā€˜ll post a link to the video we took once itā€™s on YouTube.

Update: Hereā€™s the link

Thanks for the video and real world testing. Good to know!

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the @Hothead Headliners Skyline and Sunshade for the One-Touch roof.

Both were really easy to install and I was immediately impressed with how much the Skyliner actually reduces wind noise.

Highly recommend both of these for any One-Touch owners.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1622579328981
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1622579350775

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I'm no expert, so please forgive any incorrect assumptions I may make. I'm in learning mode here.

So you are saying that unless you have pry bars and a fire hose, I'm not sure any portable device gives you much of a chance. So time is just better spent getting people and then essential gear clear of the vehicle ASAP.

So I'd like to see some fair comparisons between a traditional chem extinguisher and the element before relegating my $150 in elements to the back porch for grille duty.
See Post # 37390. I did this test out of curiosity to see if it really worked. What you decide to do is entirely up to you. Iā€™m just trying to help people keep safe an informed. In over 40 years in the fire service, Iā€™ve seen lots of truly good inventions and some really hokey ones (Rescue Gator comes to mind). I was curious how this would work in a real-life scenario. None of the firefighters at the drill were impressed Either.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The good news is that now we have new information and if so inclined, can make adjustments before someone loses a Jeep, or worse.
It's my opinion that the fire extinguisher I carry is for the forest, not my Jeep. I just do not think any fire extinguisher you can reasonably carry is going to be enough to put out a vehicle fire. With the focus more on the forest than the Jeep, I believe an element extinguisher is better than the 2.5 lbs you see people typically carrying, just the extended running time is going to be a big advantage. Not that I wouldn't try to use it if my Jeep was on fire, but I know it's kind of a pointless endeavor. It's probably better to grab my shovel and try to keep the fire contained to just the Jeep than waste time trying to save the Jeep.

The only well documented Jeep fire I know of:

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Based on the design of the vehicle. Even the dry chems couldn't get it out. We had to use a hose line and then pop the hood with pry bars to get the fire completely out. With the hood open it may have been an entirely different story, but we rarely see them with the hood open. There are videos showing it with an open hood. To me it was not realistic compared to what we see on calls.
I understand that. Itā€™s part of the extinguishment and overhaul process. That said, the way you were testing the element in your video isnā€™t realistic, and I donā€™t think itā€™s have they intended itā€™s use. It doesnā€™t appear the element has the pressurization to penetration any of its gas into the engine compartment. Had you popped the hood and inserted the end of it, it might have been a different story. It seems these are intended to work more like a chimney flare than an extinguisher. In their literature, it even says they arenā€™t UL listed because UL doesnā€™t recognize it as an extinguisher. Whether or not itā€™s realistic to use in the trail, itā€™s hard to say. I guess it would depend on the location and extent of the fire. Regardless, Iā€™m sticking with my dry chem mounted on the roll bar.

Last edited:

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
Started building a power box for my switch pros setup. I love the switches but Iā€™m looking for a clean solution for organizing it Iā€™ll in one location. This is just a hodgepodge of Amazon products to rough it out. Turned out good enough to keep it as a temporary solution until I have all my lights installed.

02561F2F-D2F4-4D85-AD7D-403924A31AB3.jpeg

1F15AD34-C7FA-42E2-B999-E676A6F29738.jpeg

794B61AE-1257-49B8-BCF9-7486608B45CB.jpeg

E95EE153-8C83-4C50-8A8F-D8718943AE0B.jpeg

F8962B70-1648-4C12-BE33-FC58C60E2328.jpeg

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I understand that. Itā€™s part of the extinguishment and overhaul process. That said, the way you were testing the element in your video isnā€™t realistic, and I donā€™t think itā€™s have they intended itā€™s use. It doesnā€™t appear the element has the pressurization to penetration any of its gas into the engine compartment. Had you popped the hood and inserted the end of it, it might have been a different story. It seems these are intended to work more like a chimney flare than an extinguisher. In their literature, it even says they arenā€™t UL listed because UL doesnā€™t recognize it as an extinguisher. Whether or not itā€™s realistic to use in the trail, itā€™s hard to say. I guess it would depend on the location and extent of the fire. Regardless, Iā€™m sticking with my dry chem mounted on the roll bar.
Say what you want, but the test was set up like we find most engine compartment fires in our area, so for my department this was a realistic test and we just wanted to see how it would do based on that. Rarely do we see the hoods up or even released when we arrive so based on that we attempted to use it with the hood down.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
After the Element ran out, we then turned to 2 5lb Dry Chem extinguishers. The fire was still going so we then went with a hose line from our truck. Finally it took prying the hood open with tools to completely put it out. Personally, I carry nothing smaller than a 5lb Dry Chem. I keep it in the back with my fire gear. Mainly have it for accidents where the vehicle is on fire and someone is still in the vehicle. The thing to remember with an engine compartment fire when you are driving is that you usually don't notice it until the smoke or fire starts showing and then you pull over. By that time it has a good start and let's face it most people won't remember to pull the hood latch (if it even still works) before they get out. Safety of the driver and passengers should be paramount, so get away from the car to a place of safety and then call 911. I realize it would be a different story if you are offroading and it starts. Just remember 2 experienced firefighters in full gear used 2 5lb ABC Dry Chem and the fire was still burning when the extinguishers ran out during our training.

Well hell that is an eye opener. Pretty much nothing but the Fire Department in that type of fire. I'm thinking I need some fuzzy dice with luck in them should something catastrophic occur. As you said personal safety foremost as property can be replaced, even though extremely sad and may take a while, but we cannot be.

As for none of the firefighters being impressed - were they impressed by any fire extinguisher not extinguishing the real world car fire with hood down? If only the hood being propped up and a fire hose anything less I would say the firefighters were not impressed. So this would be an unimpressed by any fire extinguisher.

Not to be a pest but do you find the element to have value in any type of fire situation beyond a fire pit or BBQ?

Last edited:

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Well hell that is an eye opener. I'm thinking I need some fuzzy dice with luck in them should something catastrophic occur. As you said personal safety foremost as property can be replaced, even though extremely sad and may take a while, but we cannot be.

Not to be a pest but do you find the element to have value in any type of fire situation beyond a fire pit or BBQ?
Iā€™m not going to say either way but I do not plan on buying another one. I was just trying to see how it worked with the way we find most engine compartment fires. Personally though Iā€™m sticking with carrying a minimum of a 5lb ABC Dry Chem. What other people decide is up to them. It was never my intent to create controversy, just to educate.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Say what you want, but the test was set up like we find most engine compartment fires in our area, so for my department this was a realistic test and we just wanted to see how it would do based on that. Rarely do we see the hoods up or even released when we arrive so based on that we attempted to use it with the hood down.
Ok, I've watched the video. It has frankly made me a skeptic of the test at this point. I have some burning questions, no pun intended.

I think we may need to start another thread becasue there are enough questions after that video that the discussion may derail this thread. I may actually do that soon.

So her's the first one. What was the source of ignition and how long was it burning before you pulled out the Element?

I'd bet most engine bay fires you attend to don't have the hood up because the drivers don't have a fire extinguisher of any kind.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
How hard was the wiring kit to install? I added a hitch to mine, but need to get a wiring kit yet.
A bit time-consuming, but not difficult.

I recently installed the Quadratec 4-flat harness on my JLU. I wouldn't have refused access to a lift for the job, to be sure. Best to put your Jeep on jack stands, otherwise, unless you already have a 2" lift on the vehicle. I did purchase and use some properly heavy duty zip ties in lieu of the cheapies that Q-tec includes in the package. The pictures in the instruction document are a bit too small in some instances, and the text is a bit vague in places, but it's better than some phoned-in efforts that I've seen.

Everything works as it should, per today's shakedown drive.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Ok, I've watched the video. It has frankly made me a skeptic of the test at this point. I have some burning questions, no pun intended.

I think we may need to start another thread becasue there are enough questions after that video that the discussion may derail this thread. I may actually do that soon.

So her's the first one. What was the source of ignition and how long was it burning before you pulled out the Element?

I'd bet most engine bay fires you attend to don't have the hood up because the drivers don't have a fire extinguisher of any kind.
I wouldnā€™t be skeptical. I doubt the element was intended to extinguish a fire in a closed compartment with minimal access. The demonstration videos on their website show use on open fire. Paffemt is correct, most car fires arenā€™t found with the hood up, but they also arenā€™t fully extinguished until the hood is opened. Any knock down achieved prior to opening the engine compartment happens because of the high pressure discharge of the extinguishing agent (hose stream or pressurized agent from an extinguisher). It doesnā€™t appear that pressure exists with the element. I also donā€™t think there is enough gas available to expel to completely extinguish all the fire in an engine compartment. Iā€™d be interested in seeing an experiment wherein the hood is released, not completely opened, and the element is inserted. The results might be more accurate, but Iā€™m certainly going not going to waste money buying one to find out.