What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Not impressed with the Element. I was curious so I bought one to try. For training at my fire company recently we set up a sedan with an engine compartment fire. The hood was purposely left down since that it how we usually find them. I tried to put the fire out with it, but was unable to. Mind you I was in full gear with SCBA, so I was able to approach a lot closer than soneone would be able to in street clothes. Also, it seems to be an exothermic reaction, because when I tried to put it in the gap between the hood and the headlight, it started to melt the headlight. Iā€˜ll post a link to the video we took once itā€™s on YouTube.

Update: Hereā€™s the link

So how did you put it out. The video ends before the fire is out. Element is supposed to be safer for the engine and other parts but it melted the headlight so that doesn't sound too safe. Since you are in the "Biz" and see way more car fires than I ever will your opinion has some weight with me. Appreciate any input and recommendations. Thanks

seannaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JKUR 4XE, Cyber Truck (on order...)
Vehicle Showcase
Fire Extinguisher Install...

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 28024C56-B394-4879-B553-B6A7387511C7

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? D287D11A-8C71-42E0-B99E-A62C439268CB

seannaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JKUR 4XE, Cyber Truck (on order...)
Vehicle Showcase
Bike Rack...

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 5B6938B9-E843-4281-A2D5-1D9BC30A3FF7

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1B00B39A-9E15-41E6-8FAD-6737928E9CA3

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Installed rear American Adventure Labs quick release inner fender liners to match my fronts. Took me three freaking days to get everything fitting right. Honestly, if you donā€™t have a need for the quick release, I donā€˜t recommend them. I really like AAL products and their customer service, but the complexity of the quick release mounts make this a difficult install to get everything to match up. I have a feeling the slight differences at manufacturing time of the Jeep make if difficult for these aftermarket pieces to be perfect.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1622519902122

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not impressed with the Element. I was curious so I bought one to try. For training at my fire company recently we set up a sedan with an engine compartment fire. The hood was purposely left down since that it how we usually find them. I tried to put the fire out with it, but was unable to. Mind you I was in full gear with SCBA, so I was able to approach a lot closer than soneone would be able to in street clothes. Also, it seems to be an exothermic reaction, because when I tried to put it in the gap between the hood and the headlight, it started to melt the headlight. Iā€˜ll post a link to the video we took once itā€™s on YouTube.

Update: Hereā€™s the link

I was really thinking of going with the Element.....but after seeing your video, I think I'll stick with my Halgard H3R fire extinguishers. I'm not a fan of a fire extinguisher doing as much heat damage to my Jeep as an actual fire.

Thank you for posting a video of this!

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I decided to splurge on the TeraFlex quick disconnects, and I got them installed today. I have to move the sway bar quite a lot to go from highway mode to trail mode, and the jury is still out on that one. I'll see if it still bothers me so much after I get some lift on here. Apart from that, I think they will be more convenient, and more sturdy than the original links.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1622520283951

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
So how did you put it out. The video ends before the fire is out. Element is supposed to be safer for the engine and other parts but it melted the headlight so that doesn't sound too safe. Since you are in the "Biz" and see way more car fires than I ever will your opinion has some weight with me. Appreciate any input and recommendations. Thanks
After the Element ran out, we then turned to 2 5lb Dry Chem extinguishers. The fire was still going so we then went with a hose line from our truck. Finally it took prying the hood open with tools to completely put it out. Personally, I carry nothing smaller than a 5lb Dry Chem. I keep it in the back with my fire gear. Mainly have it for accidents where the vehicle is on fire and someone is still in the vehicle. The thing to remember with an engine compartment fire when you are driving is that you usually don't notice it until the smoke or fire starts showing and then you pull over. By that time it has a good start and let's face it most people won't remember to pull the hood latch (if it even still works) before they get out. Safety of the driver and passengers should be paramount, so get away from the car to a place of safety and then call 911. I realize it would be a different story if you are offroading and it starts. Just remember 2 experienced firefighters in full gear used 2 5lb ABC Dry Chem and the fire was still burning when the extinguishers ran out during our training.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
After the Element ran out, we then turned to 2 5lb Dry Chem extinguishers. The fire was still going so we then went with a hose line from our truck. Finally it took prying the hood open with tools to completely put it out. Personally, I carry nothing smaller than a 5lb Dry Chem. I keep it in the back with my fire gear. Mainly have it for accidents where the vehicle is on fire and someone is still in the vehicle. The thing to remember with an engine compartment fire when you are driving is that you usually don't notice it until the smoke or fire starts showing and then you pull over. By that time it has a good start and let's face it most people won't remember to pull the hood latch (if it even still works) before they get out. Safety of the driver and passengers should be paramount, so get away from the car to a place of safety and then call 911. I realize it would be a different story if you are offroading and it starts. Just remember 2 experienced firefighters in full gear used 2 5lb ABC Dry Chem and the fire was still burning when the extinguishers ran out during our training.
As a former FF myself. The element extinguisher really is a gimmick. Its a victim of this whole minimalist movement. really the only good it does is put out campfires. Most people have no clue what to do in an emergency anyway, so they buy crap with style over function (FA kits, extinguishers, tools). Job security I guess, lol.

I carry a 5lb in the rear storage compartment and a FA kit there too. Half the crap they sell with the FA kits no one will ever need.
But at least people have the right idea to carry this stuff. Something is better than nothing I guess.

JeffS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White Jeep JL Sport, 2018 Orange Jeep Sahara
Installed the trailer hitch and wiring kit
First car I have actually done stuff to - I can see why Jeeps are so addictive!

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? PXL_20210531_183508166
How hard was the wiring kit to install? I added a hitch to mine, but need to get a wiring kit yet.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

Jaydonoghue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
How hard was the wiring kit to install? I added a hitch to mine, but need to get a wiring kit yet.
It took me a few hours, but if I had to do it over again it'd be much faster. The hardest part was figuring out how to take the wheel liners off since I had never done that.

There are decent videos online showing most of it, but just be careful since the newer version runs the wiring under the car - previous versions ran it in the interior

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief

So, based on the directions and intent of the Element, you need to open the hood to access the fire.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
So, based on the directions and intent of the Element, you need to open the hood to access the fire.
Based on the design of the vehicle. Even the dry chems couldn't get it out. We had to use a hose line and then pop the hood with pry bars to get the fire completely out. With the hood open it may have been an entirely different story, but we rarely see them with the hood open. There are videos showing it with an open hood. To me it was not realistic compared to what we see on calls.