What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

shlotch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Started with some slightly larger tires on the stock Willys suspension - 285/75R17 Toyo A/T IIIs:

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_20210506_101810

And then some longer springs arrived so it was time to install them, along with the longer Mopar LCAs from their in-house lifts. Measured an initial gain of 1.5" all around:

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_20210506_210653

And now it's ready to go. I'm a fan of a modest lift and larger tires on a Wrangler, so I'm happy with how this turned out. I frequent some pretty remote, bad-access areas in the back country that would habitually stress me out in the past. Now I can just enjoy myself knowing getting in and out will never be a concern.

IMG_20210507_173122.jpg

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
What procedure you follow prior removal front seats? Are they with air bags?
It’s 4 bolts on each seat. Just a need a ratchet. Very simple. There are no airbags in the seats. If you have heated seats, there is wiring, but I left the seats in during my install, so I never disconnected anything. When reinstalling the seats, you need a torque wrench.

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR
I finally got my wheels moved over. I was awaiting delivery of the Spartacus HD hinge. I went with the Teraflex Tire Carrier this time. The spare is mounted nice and low...better position that the Spartacus carrier
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_20210513_092108068_MP

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_20210513_092108068_MP

does it interfere with your backup sensors?

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Got my front camera installed a week or so ago.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1620923795748

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1620923818503

last night, I received my XG gamma cargo bags, there magnetic sunshade and ice chest. Super impressed with their quality. From the packaging to the materials. Very nice stuff.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1620923938762

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1620923960556

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1620923997470

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1620924014864

shlotch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Cool shot, where was this pic taken?
It's in the Ghost, a public land use zone in the Alberta Rockies.

A forest fire burned there last summer which has made the area pretty surreal, as it has always felt pretty barren.

This particular photo is taken near the base of Blackrock Mountain, which is one of the coolest places to visit, in my opinon. It's only maybe 800-900m to the summit but you travel from a burned-out, lifeless forest into the kind of raw alpine that makes the mountains out here so great. At the end you are treated to an old lookout shack that has to be one of the most isolated buildings in the country.

10/10, would recommend :)

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_20210507_185917
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_20190907_142436
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_20190907_142904-PANO

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
@mikem20 those XG bags look AWESOME. Tagging those for future interest.

May I ask what and how much of it you store in those?
I’m just getting the little things organized in them so we shall see. Here’s the drivers side unzipped. Has several pockets for miscellaneous tools.
im really impressed with their initial quality.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1620924873370

jstew182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR Sting-Gray
Super cool. I am going to do some research on that area for when the borders are more open for a road trip. Thanks for the information

A forest fire burned there last summer which has made the area pretty surreal, as it has always felt pretty barren.

This particular photo is taken near the base of Blackrock Mountain, which is one of the coolest places to visit, in my opinon. It's only maybe 800-900m to the summit but you travel from a burned-out, lifeless forest into the kind of raw alpine that makes the mountains out here so great. At the end you are treated to an old lookout shack that has to be one of the most isolated buildings in the country.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
It’s 4 bolts on each seat. Just a need a ratchet. Very simple. There are no airbags in the seats. If you have heated seats, there is wiring, but I left the seats in during my install, so I never disconnected anything. When reinstalling the seats, you need a torque wrench.

JLs do have side airbags in the front seats.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I literally have less than 10 miles on them right now, but I am going to remedy that today and get some miles on them. When I get back, I'll give you a better and more informed reply. ;) They definitely do not seem to be loud, at least not from 0 to 50 mph or so. I turned my radio off and could hear a quiet hum that wasn't present with the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s, but that's it. I'll see what happens at higher speeds today when I make a run on I-81 which is conveniently just a short drive from here.

***Update***
Ok, so I just got home from taking the Jeep on a trip of about 30 miles so here are my impressions of the tires.
Driving/Handling: The driving and handling characteristics are basically unchanged. The only difference I noticed is a bit more feeling of resistance when turning and accelerating. Since the diameter of these tires is exactly the same as the stock tire size (LT255/70R18) and with the width being only 0.8" greater, I attribute this feeling to the added weight of the tires. Keep in mind this difference is very subtle and some may not notice it at all.
Ride: The ride on smooth roads is unchanged and is as pleasant as it ever was. On bumpy surfaces, the ride has, in some ways, actually improved. I'm running the bone-stock factory suspension and when I would encounter rough patches, the Jeep could get quite bouncy. With these Yokohamas, I would describe the ride as firmer, but firmer in a good way. The Jeep now feels more solid, more planted, and more controllable on rough, bumpy roads. Yes, the ride is firmer, but not harsh or objectionable, in my view.
Noise: As I mentioned earlier, in my Jeep with the windows up and the radio off, these tires do have a very mild hum around town. At highway speeds (I was cruising at speeds up to ~80 mph), the volume of the hum slowly rose till it hit a plateau about 55-60 mph when it then started to decrease back down to volume levels equaling those of the slower speeds. At no time did I find the hum annoying or pervasive. In fact, with music playing in the Jeep, I really didn't notice the tire hum unless I concentrated on hearing it. The bottom line is, these tires are definitely not what I would call noisy and I don't believe most people would.

Hope this helps!
Heck yeah! That helps a lot. I'm glad to hear everything you said was exactly what I was hoping for. I am definitely getting these when the time comes. Most of out driving is to National Parks and BLM access roads. My suspension is also stock and since it's my wife's Jeep it will most likely stay that way. We will also be keeping the factory wheels. Any issue with mounting the spare? weight ok? Thanks for the detailed review.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL

That first shot looks creepy as hell. Imagine being out there at night.