What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

roaddawg

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Well I upgraded my JLU sport 5" radio to the 7". I now have a much improved rear view camera picture and Android Auto. However, the compass is not working and the usb ports don't light up. Any ideas?

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Well I upgraded my JLU sport 5" radio to the 7". I now have a much improved rear view camera picture and Android Auto. However, the compass is not working and the usb ports don't light up. Any ideas?
As far as the compass not working...

When you upgrade from the 5” to the 7” you have to add the GPS antenna. I had the same issue. The compass worked with the 5”, disappeared with the 7”. After a lot of research, I learned you must add the physical GPS antenna and cable.
Once you’ve installed the antenna (yup, you gotta pop your head unit off again) you calibrate the compass by following the onscreen instructions. It’s an easy fix, just tedious having to take off the trim and risk breaking plastic doohickeys again.

Here’s the part you need. This will allow you to mount the antenna on the sport bar where it goes.

https://www.infotainment.com/produc...gladiator-jt-siriusxm-satellite-radio-antenna

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Surprisingly, I had a bit of bumper rub on my Sport Atltitude after having a set of LT275/70-R18 tires installed a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a RedRock 4x4 spare tire relocation bracket along with a pair of Energy Suspension urethane spare tire bump stops (says they are for a JK but they work on a JL) which all arrived this morning.

Install took no more than 15 minutes. The hardest part was cutting the bump stops down to size. The spare no longer rubs on my bumper and is solid/stable as a brick on the tailgate. Sorry, no pics as I wanted to get the install done as quickly as possible before the chance of rain.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
When you upgrade from the 5” to the 7” you have to add the GPS antenna. I had the same issue. The compass worked with the 5”, disappeared with the 7”. After a lot of research, I learned you must add the physical GPS antenna and cable.

Here’s the part you need. This will allow you to mount the antenna on the sport bar where it goes.

https://www.infotainment.com/produc...gladiator-jt-siriusxm-satellite-radio-antenna
That links to a satellite radio antenna kit.

I have the 5" Unconnect, but did not purchase the $295 Sirius-compatible unit (w/6 mo. subscription) when configuring my vehicle order. My salesman has already confirmed that I'd need to add the linked antenna kit in order to receive XM radio channels.

There's no GPS function on the 5" radio, either. Why would the compass work on my Uconnect, sans the antenna kit, but not on the 7" radio unless the antenna kit is added? Just curious.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Why would the compass work on my Uconnect, sans the antenna kit, but not on the 7" radio unless the antenna kit is added? Just curious.
I don’t have a good answer for that. I had the exact same thing. No Sirius and my compass worked. When I switched out to the 7”, no compass.I do know that the kit I linked to is what’s needed to fix the compass issue when upgrading to the 7”. It’s an integrated GPS/satellite radio antenna. It solved my issues.

The differences and variations between the various uconnect systems is baffling. It was twice as bad when the JL first rolled out and everyone with the 5” figured “I’ll just slap an upgraded radio in my vehicle and call it good.” We weren’t aware of how tightly integrated the uconnect is to the functionality of the various systems on the JL platform.

I hope I’m making sense. Bottom line, that kit fixes the issue.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Added XKGlow Vent Lights and Smoked LED Side Marker lights.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 58995DEB-D8B1-4F91-BB59-60DD963EC9B2

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 58995DEB-D8B1-4F91-BB59-60DD963EC9B2
Wow, the XKGlows are pretty cool. Are they obnoxiously bright or just right?

They look great!

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
Wow, the XKGlows are pretty cool. Are they obnoxiously bright or just right?

They look great!
They are pretty bright. Not sure how they will look at night. I'm pretty sure they will be seen. Haha.
I like them. 😊

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Installed a Smittybilt x2O 10k winch with some help from my pops

Just noticed, your going to need to put pre-tension on that winch line. Looks very loose.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Nothing fancy, but changed my diff oil. I'm only at about 7000 miles but figured I'd get the factory fill out and get ahead of any problems.

I've never changed diff oil before, boy that is an interesting smell.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nothing fancy, but changed my diff oil. I'm only at about 7000 miles but figured I'd get the factory fill out and get ahead of any problems.

I've never changed diff oil before, boy that is an interesting smell.
I remember thinking the exact same thing. I made the further mistake of leaving it in my drain pan, open, in my garage for a week. Took quite a while for that smell to clear out. Lesson learned.