Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The weather finally settled down so I installed my MagnaFlow axle back system. After removing and installing the OEM and 3 different Borla systems 5 times, it was a piece of cake. The tips do sit against the bottom of the bumper so I will likely wedge a small piece of rubber between them to prevent ratting. Thanks again to @TOL JEEPER for taking the time to create multiple videos which helped me decide on the MagnaFlow.

I also finalized the installation of my hi-lift jack and accessories onto my upper shelf from Texas Metal Works.

I did a test fit and test jacking using a 3/4" shackle and the DLA adapter from JeepsNeeds. This setup works like a dream and am very happy that I went this way. The adapter stores in the same position on the jack. Great stuff!

fjYz9S.jpg

fjYIA7.jpg

fjYoS2.jpg
It sounds like you are to exhaust systems, like Moto_21 is to lift kits. Lol!

Just curious about what problems you encountered with the Borla lineup? I recently installed a climber, and am wondering if there's something I should watch for.

Glad to hear that you're finally sorted out and happy with a system!

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I just wanted a little more sound, without sounding like a fast and the furious reject. The Borla touring climber nailed it! Just enough of a bass growl to know it's there, and zero drone at any rpm or cruise speed. Highly recommend it for anyone wanting just a touch more sound than stock.
Gonna check it out for sure

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like you are to exhaust systems, like Moto_21 is to lift kits. Lol!

Just curious about what problems you encountered with the Borla lineup? I recently installed a climber, and am wondering if there's something I should watch for.

Glad to hear that you're finally sorted out and happy with a system!
@Headbarcode:

Below is a synopsis of my experience with Borla and I want to preface it by saying that Borla has always taken care of the issues that I had so they do stand behind their products. My guess is that you will not have any of the issues that I did unless it begins to drone on sustained trips (but that may not irritate you as it did me).

1. Went from OEM to Borla Touring (in black):
  • First issue was the inlet pipe was the same OD as the stock outlet pipe so it could not be installed. I took it to a local muffler shop who expanded the pipe and installed it. Borla refunded the installation costs.
  • Second issue was that when viewed from the side, the outlet tips tilted down and no matter what the muffler shop tried, they could not make them sit level.
  • Sold it and went back to stock.
2. First Borla Type S (in black):
  • Installation was fine with no issues.
  • Within a few months the coating started to peel from the tips (ends and inside).
  • Borla replaced it with a new system assuring me they had some bad runs with coating and the problem was corrected.
3. Second Borla Type S (in black):
  • In less time than the first system, the tips (ends and inside) started to peel again.
  • Borla replaced it with a new system telling me that after the correction to the coating, they began experiencing reports of systems peeling again.
4. During the time frame when the second Type S was installed, I took a very long road trip--from Houston to Big Sky, MT. While driving around town and even a few hours on the freeway was fine, the sustained highway speeds when combined with the frequent downshifting while driving into head winds and mountains, made me realize it is just too loud. While Borla claims there is "no drone" , I am all but positive the Type S did drone to the point of making it more than a little annoying--in fact, it became irritating when in the Jeep for that many miles/hours.

5. Went from Borla Type S to OEM:
  • After the Big Sky trip, I pulled the Borla and went through the replacement process again. Borla was emphatic they had developed a new "3rd generation" coating that was way above and beyond the requirements for it and they were certain the problem was solved.
  • Went on a trip from Houston to Dillon, CO (where I saw the undercover Broncos) with the OEM system installed. The comfort in the cabin was exponentially better and though the downshifting was still very prevalent, the noise was not there that irritated me on the Big Sky trip
  • The third system with the new generation coating arrived and I sold it straightaway. The long run with the OEM system had convinced me that Borla was not for me.
I started looking at other systems and @Magnaflow popped to the top. Truth be told, I really wanted a Magnaflow when I bought the Borla Touring, but I could not find it in stack and so impatience led me down the path I just described.

@TOL JEEPER was very kind to make a number of videos at different speeds and to also share his experience with me with his system. I contacted Magnaflow and asked them some very pointed questions about their system compared to Borla and they were very objective and forthcoming with information.

When the deal from HottExhaust popped up a few weeks ago, I pulled the trigger. Due to the weather, it sat in the garage for a bit until I was able to install it today. Thus far, it has the sound and (definitely) the look I was going for and I am pleased with it. A long trip will tell the tale regarding the sound level/droning, but I can already say it is considerably quieter than the Borla. I would say it is between the Borla Touring and the Type S for the volume.

Hope this helps!

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Thanks so much, you rock! :like:
You're welcome. BTW, I was worried that the weight of the new bumper plus the winch would be so much more than the OEM plastic bumper that I would need to add lift to get back to factory level. Before and after measurement showed less than 1/4" drop.

timize

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's
Looks awesome! And because I'm such an enabler, I gotta mention how awesome the new Borla touring climber cat-back has been. Sounds awesome, while also cleaning up the rear.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? marty-feldman
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? marty-feldman
Looks great! I want to get rid of the tin can in the back, but I just spent money on new gears and skids. It never ends lol.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Just about done with my axle swap. Taking a little break and figured I’d drop in the forum and read a bit. But swapping my sport 30/44 axles to rubicon Dana 44 wides. Gone pretty smooth for doing it in the driveway. Just have to get tires on torque everything and then lift it back up and set the toe.

4EDD2E43-ABEA-44E6-85A2-4A48816C52D3.jpeg

B46AAB4C-6369-4D4D-B20A-A5424E40851D.jpeg

EED8EFFB-3BD4-4E3F-8537-1EED82D0EADC.jpeg

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
@Headbarcode:

Below is a synopsis of my experience with Borla and I want to preface it by saying that Borla has always taken care of the issues that I had so they do stand behind their products. My guess is that you will not have any of the issues that I did unless it begins to drone on sustained trips (but that may not irritate you as it did me).

1. Went from OEM to Borla Touring (in black):
  • First issue was the inlet pipe was the same OD as the stock outlet pipe so it could not be installed. I took it to a local muffler shop who expanded the pipe and installed it. Borla refunded the installation costs.
  • Second issue was that when viewed from the side, the outlet tips tilted down and no matter what the muffler shop tried, they could not make them sit level.
  • Sold it and went back to stock.
2. First Borla Type S (in black):
  • Installation was fine with no issues.
  • Within a few months the coating started to peel from the tips (ends and inside).
  • Borla replaced it with a new system assuring me they had some bad runs with coating and the problem was corrected.
3. Second Borla Type S (in black):
  • In less time than the first system, the tips (ends and inside) started to peel again.
  • Borla replaced it with a new system telling me that after the correction to the coating, they began experiencing reports of systems peeling again.
4. During the time frame when the second Type S was installed, I took a very long road trip--from Houston to Big Sky, MT. While driving around town and even a few hours on the freeway was fine, the sustained highway speeds when combined with the frequent downshifting while driving into head winds and mountains, made me realize it is just too loud. While Borla claims there is "no drone" , I am all but positive the Type S did drone to the point of making it more than a little annoying--in fact, it became irritating when in the Jeep for that many miles/hours.

5. Went from Borla Type S to OEM:
  • After the Big Sky trip, I pulled the Borla and went through the replacement process again. Borla was emphatic they had developed a new "3rd generation" coating that was way above and beyond the requirements for it and they were certain the problem was solved.
  • Went on a trip from Houston to Dillon, CO (where I saw the undercover Broncos) with the OEM system installed. The comfort in the cabin was exponentially better and though the downshifting was still very prevalent, the noise was not there that irritated me on the Big Sky trip
  • The third system with the new generation coating arrived and I sold it straightaway. The long run with the OEM system had convinced me that Borla was not for me.
I started looking at other systems and @Magnaflow popped to the top. Truth be told, I really wanted a Magnaflow when I bought the Borla Touring, but I could not find it in stack and so impatience led me down the path I just described.

@TOL JEEPER was very kind to make a number of videos at different speeds and to also share his experience with me with his system. I contacted Magnaflow and asked them some very pointed questions about their system compared to Borla and they were very objective and forthcoming with information.

When the deal from HottExhaust popped up a few weeks ago, I pulled the trigger. Due to the weather, it sat in the garage for a bit until I was able to install it today. Thus far, it has the sound and (definitely) the look I was going for and I am pleased with it. A long trip will tell the tale regarding the sound level/droning, but I can already say it is considerably quieter than the Borla. I would say it is between the Borla Touring and the Type S for the volume.

Hope this helps!
Wow, thanks for an extremely thorough run through! I recall your posts made a while back about the pealing that kept starting at the tips.

The touring climber has been nothing shy of awesome! For one, it's bare stainless so no coating concerns. And although it has a bass-tone growl on cold start-ups and quicker acceleration, it's only noticeable with the windows up and the radio off. With open windows, the wind drowns out the exhaust by about 45-50 mph. Also, I have the 2.0 motor so the turbo blocks some of the detonation bark. I'd assume it would probably be a touch louder on the 3.6 motor.

Thanks again, for the time put into that post! And my fingers are crossed that the magnaflow passes the mile munching test!

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Last edited:

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Just about done with my axle swap. Taking a little break and figured I’d drop in the forum and read a bit. But swapping my sport 30/44 axles to rubicon Dana 44 wides. Gone pretty smooth for doing it in the driveway. Just have to get tires on torque everything and then lift it back up and set the toe.

4EDD2E43-ABEA-44E6-85A2-4A48816C52D3.jpeg

B46AAB4C-6369-4D4D-B20A-A5424E40851D.jpeg

EED8EFFB-3BD4-4E3F-8537-1EED82D0EADC.jpeg
Looks good. Are you using your stock brakes I see them hanging there and some others on the axles?

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Gave my a wash today. We had a few minutes of sun before it got cloudy again.

IMG_4124.jpg