What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Marman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
just got the same lift on the "same" JL. I am running 35s on the Stock rims though. what tires / rims are you running? they look great. i am surprised how much lift i ended up with.
Thanks... I am running 35" Toyo OC R/Ts on Dirty Life 17" wheels. I agree with the amount of lift. Right after install I was showing a 4" lift. Letting it settle in to see what I end up with.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
After tracking all sorts of mess in when snow wheeling, pulled the trigger on some Husky X-act slush mats and an very pleased with them.

PXL_20210202_155822292.jpg

PXL_20210202_155829412.jpg

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Just changed both front and rear differential fluids on my 2019 Sport S. Had never done it before (ever) on any type of vehicle. Turned out to be easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy.

I did this after the 20K Recommended Maintenance Inspection noted the fluid was in 'fair' condition. Fair my ass, it turned out to be gooey slush as compared to the clean new stuff.

I ended up doing it myself basically because the extortionists at the Stealership quoted me $500.

Total cost to do it myself was just shy of $50 (3 quarts Mobil 1 75W90) and about 30 minutes of my time. Did I mention it was kindergarten simple!

No wonder the dealership charges so much, it's way beyond their competence and abilities. They need the extra cash to learn how to read.

Diff fluid change will now also happen everytime I no longer let those idiots put 6 quarts of oil in my rig either. DIY from now on, every 5K.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't attempt this sooner. If you too are wondering about your diff fluid, don't question it... Just change it.

Two plugs both 3/8" square holes on each diff. A standard socket wrench is the only tool required.

1. Place drain pan under differential.
2. Remove top fill plug first.
3. Remove bottom drain plug.
4. Clean sludge off magnet in bottom plug.
5. Reinsert bottom plug.
6. Fill with new fluid until it just starts flowing out of top fill hole.
7. Reinsert top fill plug.
Done.

Repeat for other differential. Couldn't be any simpler.

Of course there are a few details. They recommend 75W140 in the rear diff if you tow anything with regularity. If you have an LSD, it's also recommended to add a clutch additive. However both the Royal Purple and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluids already include the LSD additive. It's completely harmless to use it in non-LSD Differentials.

Please refer to the following thread. Everything you ever wanted to know about changing diff fluid:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/differential-oil.28127/

Jay

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Thanks... I am running 35" Toyo OC R/Ts on Dirty Life 17" wheels. I agree with the amount of lift. Right after install I was showing a 4" lift. Letting it settle in to see what I end up with.
Yeah I’m 6’3” and it’s a step! I was a bit shocked. Ha ha.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Finished installing Weathertech mud flaps. The front pair I did a few days ago was super simple. The back was less fun. Partially broke one of the clips provided. The holes don’t line up nearly as well on the back.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? C25AAF4B-52E0-4C24-B44D-B9A77A238919

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 9FEF2A23-D864-4EE4-A732-5F5162181137

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 0CD5BE5A-46FA-4E29-9FED-27060F008041

I’ll probably just see if I can get a replacement clip from them and give it another shot.

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just changed both front and rear differential fluids on my 2019 Sport S. Had never done it before (ever) on any type of vehicle. Turned out to be easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy.

I did this after the 20K Recommended Maintenance Inspection noted the fluid was in 'fair' condition. Fair my ass, it turned out to be gooey slush as compared to the clean new stuff.

I ended up doing it myself basically because the extortionists at the Stealership quoted me $500.

Total cost to do it myself was just shy of $50 (3 quarts Mobil 1 75W90) and about 30 minutes of my time. Did I mention it was kindergarten simple!

No wonder the dealership charges so much, it's way beyond their competence and abilities. They need the extra cash to learn how to read.

Diff fluid change will now also happen everytime I no longer let those idiots put 6 quarts of oil in my rig either. DIY from now on, every 5K.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't attempt this sooner. If you too are wondering about your diff fluid, don't question it... Just change it.

Two plugs both 3/8" square holes on each diff. A standard socket wrench is the only tool required.

1. Place drain pan under differential.
2. Remove top fill plug first.
3. Remove bottom drain plug.
4. Clean sludge off magnet in bottom plug.
5. Reinsert bottom plug.
6. Fill with new fluid until it just starts flowing out of top fill hole.
7. Reinsert top fill plug.
Done.

Repeat for other differential. Couldn't be any simpler.

Of course there are a few details. They recommend 75W140 in the rear diff if you tow anything with regularity. If you have an LSD, it's also recommended to add a clutch additive. However both the Royal Purple and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluids already include the LSD additive. It's completely harmless to use it in non-LSD Differentials.

Please refer to the following thread. Everything you ever wanted to know about changing diff fluid:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/differential-oil.28127/

Jay
Congrats! Now do the transfer case. Apparently just as easy. I'm going to do my diffs and T-case in the spring when it warms up. Here's to DIY.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome. I wanted the same rail mount but was sold out last I checked and am considering the tuffy tailgate lockbox. Any sagging of the tailgate since install?
I have one as well and a 37" tire. The box is pretty loaded no sagging at all. Love it, just be aware the picture on mfgr web page makes it look much shallower it eats into rear storage. Also get the combination locks so not always looking for a key.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Are you the SOB that keeps calling and telling me my factory warranty is about to expire?
I used to ask them "Yea, what vehicle?". But I have five now so the odds of picking the right random answer are too great. I just get them on the line now, put them on speaker and ask random policy questions while I work. They get pissed and hang up.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Spent some time chasing a rattle. I have a hollow sounding rattle when hitting bumps. Sounds very loose and knocks against the body of the jeep. Or at least sounds like it is. Pulled all the stuff in my trunk box to see if there’s something in there rattling.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Spent some time chasing a rattle. I have a hollow sounding rattle when hitting bumps. Sounds very loose and knocks against the body of the jeep. Or at least sounds like it is. Pulled all the stuff in my trunk box to see if there’s something in there rattling.
Don't worry. Eventually it will either break or fall off. Then it will stop.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Don't worry. Eventually it will either break or fall off. Then it will stop.
Haha, yeah that’s what I said to my wife. It’ll eventually work it’s way off/out and then I’ll know exactly what it was.