What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

lclaborn

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
The company that powder coated my rear bumper and hinged carrier, KK Finishing in Bohemia NY, also now has a secondary company, D-ring Shackle Supply Company, that offers 3/4" zinc-plated shackles in any color. They come complete with full silencer kits. I chose a red to match the Rubi rear tow hook that went with the factory rear bumper, and black silencers. They leave the shackle pins in their original black coating, so as to not tighten up the threading.

I also installed and wired up the SwitchPros 8-button panel and underhood controller. I've only been able to hook up the 1st pair of Squadron Pro spots, but the floods that will go outboard of the spots are due next week. Also have four amber LP4's and the 8-piece Lux rock lights due in the next week or so.
20210117_133930.jpg

20210117_135535.jpg
20210117_125015.jpg
20210117_140757_resized.jpg
Not specifically related to your post, but, I like the location of your front license plate on the steel bumper. How did you mount it?

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for answering this. It is essential to have a brake system as well as the wiring harness for the brake lights, etc.

I just had this installed and have not taken it on a long trip yet. But, for the short 20 mile test run, it worked flawlessly. I am still learning the ins and outs of this, so having someone else share their long term experiences is awesome!

The Jeep pivots at the location of where the tow bar is connected to the RV (the bottom of the "V"). There is a little play allowed in the arms at the top of each side of the "V" as well. It was suggested to me that when I begin traveling to take some slow "sharp" turns to lock those points in for better stability and towing for long distances. Is this accurate? I don't know--I haven't had a chance to do this yet. I'll defer to those who have done this for a long time.

I’ve added a closeup picture so one can see where the pivot point is. The person in the picture is the gentleman explaining to me how the system works.

7FBE9C5F-67CA-46E3-8A80-B30AA35539A8.jpeg

4440FE44-323F-4344-9216-E8B0B360B9DD.jpeg
Yep, you need to allow the tow bars to lock into position but it usually takes care of itself pretty quickly once you get rolling. Mine would usually lock just heading out my driveway. YMMV

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not specifically related to your post, but, I like the location of your front license plate on the steel bumper. How did you mount it?
Both the plate bracket and the bull bar are from the company Maximus-3. It's called the Stealth front plate bracket, and it's a direct bolt-on for the Mopar steel bumper. It mounts via 3 of the factory bolts that hold the skid plate to the bottom of the bumper. It comes with the rest of the hardware needed, including the choice between a regular nut and bolt or a pair of wingnuts for mounting the plate frame to the main bracket.

fsusp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher, Golf Coach
Yes , thanks for these answers !!!
I didn't even noticed that my Jeep has no lock on the steering wheel .... :blush::facepalm:

And the box in the second photo? What's its for?
That's all the electronics which controls my braking on the Jeep, brake lights, etc. Typically, the braking activates when going over 15 mph to help safely slow both vehicles down.

There is a toggle on and off switch. I only turn it on when I am towing. Then, I turn it off when I am not hooked up to my RV.

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

This weekend’s add-ons to the new 2020 JL Sahara 2.0T:
Regear 4.88 âś…
Rugged Ridge Tire Carrier Hinge âś…
ARB Diff Covers âś…
Superchips Flashcal âś…

Last week’s add-ons:
3.5” Teraflex ST3 Lift with Falcon Shocks
37” Cooper STT Pros
17” Method 309 Grid Wheels
Fab Four Bumper with factory LED Fog Lights
Smittybuilt Steps
Falcon Steering Stabilizer
Teraflex Alpha Tire Mount

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1611335860491

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1611335860491
How do you like Falcon 3.3s? Some people complain that the ride is too stiff.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
This weekend’s add-ons to the new 2020 JL Sahara 2.0T:
Regear 4.88 âś…
Rugged Ridge Tire Carrier Hinge âś…
ARB Diff Covers âś…
Superchips Flashcal âś…

Last week’s add-ons:
3.5” Teraflex ST3 Lift with Falcon Shocks
37” Cooper STT Pros
17” Method 309 Grid Wheels
Fab Four Bumper with factory LED Fog Lights
Smittybuilt Steps
Falcon Steering Stabilizer
Teraflex Alpha Tire Mount

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1611337927332

looks Good. Hows the 4.88/37 combo

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the S-Tech 4 switch system in the lower left cubby getting ready for up coming mods.

86E65E3E-A767-400D-948A-248433928A39.jpeg

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
If I flat towed my Jeep (manual trans) would I just leave the transfer case in neutral and the main stick in 6th? Or both in neutral? Also the auto trans, does it stay in park? I thought if the rear wheels are spinning the driveshaft would make the trans spin. Doesn’t this overheat the trans too?
The drivetrain is laid out like this:

engine --> transmission --> transfer case --> driveshaft

With the transfer case in neutral the driveshaft is disconnected from the transmission. So nothing in your transmission will move. If you can get into any Jeep and pull the transfer case to neutral, the Jeep will roll away (assuming the brake isn't set). Luckily that's pretty tough to do when the vehicle is sitting still so it's unlikely some kid playing in your Jeep is going to roll away in it.

Jeep rolling away was always one of my fears with my TJs. I tend to not have the top or doors on my Jeeps and the TJs I had were manual transmissions and the parking brake sucked. I always worried some kid would climb in it to play and pull it out of gear. Because of that fear I have long had the habit of turning my wheels fully to the left or right when I shut it off. I still do it today with the JL, but since we don't have steering column locks it probably wouldn't make much difference if the Jeep decided to roll away. Luckily with the automatic transmission and a parking brake that works well my fear is probably completely ridiculous now (if it wasn't always).

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Installed a ClearLidz to replace the 2 individual roof panels:
I'm super curious about these things. Can you remove it just as quickly as the freedom panels? Do you have a way of storing it in the back of the two door? Can it be in place when the pack portion for the top is removed? How durable do you think it will be? I think I like the idea of putting of of those on in the winter months. Still feel open but not so cold.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
New shoes out for delivery! Now I just need some shock extension brackets and some hockey pucks...
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20210122_124222
Rubicon owners doing offset math as we speak. I can see the thread now.

“120” tires. NO LIFT!!!”

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
Made mod to a mod. Fuel door upgraded.
Didn’t like the faded flag, so I came up with a plan to use my old Army badges to brighten it up.

Great idea I just might steal that from you.