What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
Looks good! Pair of LP6s is on my Xmas list. Your control/wiring setup sounds exactly what I’d like to do to avoid having to use multiple aux switches. Any tips/issues/regrets on the install?
It took a couple relays, making the wiring harnesses for the lights, and tapping one of the high beam wires, which was buried deep in a harness I had to cut open. I’ll find some time to write it all down.
Be very careful... I sneezed while driving and internally broke a wire within the firewall harness. No evidence of break in wire coating and couldn’t be diagnosed until they tore everything apart and tested each individual harness wire.

By sneeze, I actually mean I gently poked through the grommet (unsuccessfully) to run another wire through.

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Best graphics out there hands down. My next jeep will be an islander remake as well, probably a few years away still.
ask for Don @ Pixeldecals sure customized them so sure he still has the files saved!

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
Swapped the rubi rails out for the oem sidesteps that came with my Sport S. I like these for the winter driving season. I think it helps provide some protection for the Jeep from the road salt and gravel cinders they use on the roads.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Be very careful... I sneezed while driving and internally broke a wire within the firewall harness. No evidence of break in wire coating and couldn’t be diagnosed until they tore everything apart and tested each individual harness wire.

By sneeze, I actually mean I gently poked through the grommet (unsuccessfully) to run another wire through.
Yeah, that’s part of the story...in cutting open the harness, I managed to cut a random tiny wire. This meant that I had to repair said wire, along with what I was actually trying to accomplish. One assumes that these wiring bundles are all clean, parallel runs of wires. Turns out they end up crisscrossing all over the place in there.

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Little after work project, Rock Slide Engineer slider/steps. All hardware mounted and torqued. Wire them up tomorrow.
Busy yesterday so finished them up today. Well still waiting on the lights they were not shipped with the steps.

Love the steps, now need a lift to better utilize them, LOL. The kids will appreciate them now though.

The plug in the firewall access "clutch hole" was missing so have that on order. I used some rubber grommets where you route the power to the steps need to silicone those as well.

20201206_135004.jpg

20201206_110432.jpg

20201206_110428.jpg

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Operating Engineer Local 3
Busy yesterday so finished them up today. Well still waiting on the lights they were not shipped with the steps.

Love the steps, now need a lift to better utilize them, LOL. The kids will appreciate them now though.

The plug in the firewall access "clutch hole" was missing so have that on order. I used some rubber grommets where you route the power to the steps need to silicone those as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20201206_110428

Just finished mine....love em!!!

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
My JL watched while I hit the inside of my JK's frame with Fluid Film, as was done to it last weekend.

This stuff smells like sheep ass for a few days, but that old JK's frame looks like new inside. (And out.) I hit any rust spots on the outside with Rustoleum Rust Reformer and then the inside with Fluid Film using a 24" hose with 360 degree nozzle. Easy, but a little messy. Rubber gloves are a must. Anyway, on both Jeeps I also spray it up into body and suspension crannys and nooks. They can then handle all the road salt the road crews want to throw at them!

God willing, the JL looks this good after 13 years and 146k miles of winters and off road adventures!

I’m a CorrosionX fan, but you can’t go wrong with the obvious price difference of this stuff. Just bought a can!

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Was just reading your post... you went the extra mile! Haha
I like the way you tied down the harness in the back. I need to do that under the seat.

Great job on your install very clean!
Thank you!!!!
I do audio installs on the weekends, so I have a very meticulous way of dealing with wires.
I pull everything out because it makes the routing VERY easy. A little extra effort goes miles when wiring.
Plus I got a good idea on how I’ll rewire the stereo when I get to adding amps.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I just finished up my relay/isolator gismo. I’ve been going to do this since there was a recall on my winch. (It may turn on all by itself I guess) , I haven’t had any problems with mine, and it’s been used quite a bit.

I used this one, also got a 12” battery cable, got them off the Amazon.....

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? FA1BB350-78E9-44C2-A83C-C7DF5AF6F643

I had to remove the battery in order to drill a couple holes. This is the only time I liked having the auxiliary battery, because if you leave the negative cables together you don’t loose power when removing the main battery. So it was nice not having reset all my radio stations and whatnot.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? A0B2E358-1E82-4953-8E3F-F1CB2FCFC158

Wiring it up was pretty straight forward... cable from winch on one terminal, and I got a 12” battery cable to go from the other terminal to the battery. Used my aux switch # 1 wire to one of the small terminals and a ground to the other. You can wire the small terminals either way. Now my winch cannot be turned on unless you push aux switch #1.

I’d like to give a shout out to @Rangemaster ( thanks brother) for answering a couple questions I had. He had just done this earlier..........:).

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 937FE112-E5A6-41F3-95EC-AA83EA3D98BE

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I just finished up my relay/isolator gismo. I’ve been going to do this since there was a recall on my winch. (It may turn on all by itself I guess) , I haven’t had any problems with mine, and it’s been used quite a bit.

I used this one, also got a 12” battery cable, got them off the Amazon.....

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 937FE112-E5A6-41F3-95EC-AA83EA3D98BE

I had to remove the battery in order to drill a couple holes. This is the only time I liked having the auxiliary battery, because if you leave the negative cables together you don’t loose power when removing the main battery. So it was nice not having reset all my radio stations and whatnot.

Wiring it up was pretty straight forward... cable from winch on one terminal, and I got a 12” battery cable to go from the other terminal to the battery. Used my aux switch # 1 wire to one of the small terminals and a ground to the other. You can wire the small terminals either way. Now my winch cannot be turned on unless you push aux switch #1.

I’d like to give a shout out to @Rangemaster ( thanks brother) for answering a couple questions I had. He had just done this earlier..........:).

awesome write up, thanks I really appreciate it.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I just ordered the Hi/Low Rugged Ridge snorkel system from 4WD.com. On sale for 509.99. This thing hardly ever goes on sale, and getting the whole kit for not much more than the low section alone seemed too good to pass up.