What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
No, not really...unless there are material manufacturing variances in Tuffy's console safe.

I tested that idea with a spare (and slender) USB cable, just after completing the installation. Closing the Tuffy lid is possible, but it will no longer rest squarely and correctly on its frame. More to the point, pressing the lid down concurrently forces two 90° bends in the USB cord, pressing it against the undressed edges of the steel lid and frame.

It'd only be a matter of time before the cord insulation is perforated.

A mildly thicker USB cable might be damaged much faster than the thin one that I used; it might also force the lid slightly out of alignment.

A USB adapter in the dashboard 12V power port should solve any expedient charging requirements.
Mine has a gap in the flange on the drivers side
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_1079 (1).JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_1080.JPG

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Mine has a gap in the flange on the drivers side
IMG_1079 (1).JPG
IMG_1080.JPG
I've got the same gaps on both sides of the front edge of the lid frame. There's still a strong pinch when using the pax side gap to pass through the USB cord. The pinch is just a bit less when using the driver side gap. Both are beyond my comfort level, but I do see how they could be used for charging cords as folks may prefer here.

If your lid combination is 615, I'd change it. ;)

And I'll see your satcomm device and raise you one, um, satcomm device.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? Satcomm

Thanks for the discussion on the subject.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Bought this over the weekend.

1605526605411.png

and stuff coming in the mail today. Hoping the weather will be better for some install work on Wednesday.
Once you have a riv-nut tool you will be riv-nutting everything.

It's like a Kreg pocket jig for wood-working - once you own one you pocket-join everything you can.

Last edited:

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Had recall done on front seat ( easy entry handle ) replaced drivers side and ordered passengers side because, tech said, he didn’t like the way the cable looked for the passenger side. Came in next morning from Daytona. That’s ok by me even if I had to drive twice to dealer. 85 mile round trip. I thought it was a good thing it was discovered. I was not aware of the recall.

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Looks great, nicely done, and thank you for the link. Question for you.., was the back already the factory tint? If so, what percentage did you buy, looks like a dead match if you only did the fronts.

Thanks in advance.
Just the fronts back were already factory.
Xfinity Precut Front Door Tint for Jeep Wrangler 4 Door Rubicon 2018-2020
(Shade of Xfinity Tint: 20% Dark (Xfinity), Add Install Kit: Add Install Kit for $16.99, Add Sunstrip (Premium): No Thank You, Add Duplicate Tint Order: No thank you, Add Headlight Tint Film: No thank you, Add Heat Gun: No thank you)
Jeep Wrangler 4 Door Rubicon 2018-2020 (FD-X)1$57.48 USD
$57.48 USD

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I installed the superlative holster from Gibson Leatherworks. @Blkjak was a pleasure to deal with, and the quality and fitment of his products is beyond reproach. Recommended.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? Gibson 1

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? Gibson 5

Siblueg

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Installed a rear glass light from Amazon

The kit came with a dimmable white LED strip that fits nicely on the curved back glass.

I ran the wires through the defrost/wiper wire area to keep a factory look. The light kit came with wire retention sticky tabs but did not like the way it looked.

I then taped the wire to the factory sleeving to keep everything nice and organized.

I then routed the wire through the factory hardtop. I was surprised how much room was in this cavity which made the process very easy.

The kit had the perfect amount of wire that has a quick disconnect that works great with the factory connectors.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Installed a rear glass light from Amazon

The kit came with a dimmable white LED strip that fits nicely on the curved back glass.

20201115_132230 (1).jpg

I ran the wires through the defrost/wiper wire area to keep a factory look. The light kit came with wire retention sticky tabs but did not like the way it looked.

20201115_132238 (1).jpg

I then taped the wire to the factory sleeving to keep everything nice and organized.

20201115_132245 (1).jpg

I then routed the wire through the factory hardtop. I was surprised how much room was in this cavity which made the process very easy.

20201115_132253 (1).jpg

The kit had the perfect amount of wire that has a quick disconnect that works great with the factory connectors.
20201115_132258 (1).jpg
That looks nice. I installed one also, Same setup. Hard wired it to the dome light, plus I can plug it into the cigarette lighter if I am tailgating. I had to add 3m automotive tape to both sides to make it stick.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Installed the Mopar hood lock. Took about 4 hours as I went slowly and these vodka/oj's just kept appearing in front of me:giggle:.

If anybody has any questions about the install just PM me.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_0771.JPG

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Swapped out the front dash speakers with Infinity 3022cfx using Metra 72-7902 adapter. There's some questions in this thread regarding polarity checks, but I didn't get around to it. Haven't spent a lot of time listening to them, but I think they are a slight improvement over stock. I still have to replace the 3.5" speakers in the soundbar with JL C2-350x.

To make these fit, you bend up one of the brackets with a pair of needle nose pliers. If you look at the one on the left, you'll see how it's bent. I'm going to pull them out and throw some poly in at some point.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_3663

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Swapped out the front dash speakers with Infinity 3022cfx using Metra 72-7902 adapter. There's some questions in this thread regarding polarity checks, but I didn't get around to it. Haven't spent a lot of time listening to them, but I think they are a slight improvement over stock. I still have to replace the 3.5" speakers in the soundbar with JL C2-350x.

To make these fit, you bend up one of the brackets with a pair of needle nose pliers. If you look at the one on the left, you'll see how it's bent. I'm going to pull them out and throw some poly in at some point.

Is the signal going to that speaker full range or does the factory tweeter filter so only highs get to it?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Polarity is reversed in the front using Metra's with an Alpine amplified system. Not sure on the base stereo.

Interestingly the rear sound bar is not reversed with same Metra's......

You can download SpeakerPop for iPhone to properly test all speakers are in phase.