Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
32BF5742-996C-4306-B7F0-6F4B3D7BB076.jpeg

Well...shit.
Not sure the length and all the details but you can splice the rope and make it as good as new if interested. If it’s too short to repair, well, a new rope might be needed then.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Not sure the length and all the details but you can splice the rope and make it as good as new if interested. If it’s too short to repair, well, a new rope might be needed then.
Watched a few videos on YT last night and ended up deciding for $45 I’d just go with the Fast Fid kit. Yanked off about 5’ of line so should still be useable.

Morbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Recon
Technically from this past weekend, but just now able to post about it...

Used the G2 paint kit to paint the calipers and took the opportunity to complete my first tire rotation on it since we bought it last March. I think the G2 kit shortened stopping distance by at least 10 feet. :LOL: Hoping the tedious and time-consuming prep work was enough and the finish lasts a while. I like the outcome but question if it was worth it.

A couple of random thoughts; some of this may be obvious but wasn't to me:
  1. Prep work is critical. If you don't already have them, get a medium size steel-bristle brush and then a couple of small (toothbrush size) steel-bristle brushes for all the nooks and crannies of the calipers. I used the included brake cleaner and it was barely enough for me for cleaning all the calipers.
  2. I was pleasantly surprised that the tiny can of paint was more than enough to do 2 coats with a light 3rd coat of touch-ups to even out a few spots. There was more than enough left to do another couple of coats but by then time was an issue (see next point). When I first opened the kit I thought I was going to need 2 kits. You won't.
  3. Remove your calipers from the rotors/hubs if you can. If I knew how, I would've gladly removed the calipers from the Jeep altogether so I could sit comfortably at my work bench and paint these things. Would've most likely saved me an hour. Yes, I realize you're just trading that time in removing/reinstalling the calipers, but would force me to replace brake fluid and bleed the brakes. Even just removing them from the rotors/hubs would've saved a lot of time. Besides laying on the floor under the calipers, I was contorting myself in ways only suitable for gymnasts to try and get the brush in the hard-to-reach spots. G2 instructions say to allow 15 minutes between coats, I think I spent about 30 minutes per coat, per caliper. I got the first 2 coats done on the front calipers first (for fear of running out of paint) and then moved on to 2 coats on the rears. I went back to do a 3rd coat but the paint wasn't blending into the previous coats as well and I think it was because the paint was curing since I'd been working a few hours by that point.
  4. Don't try to slather it on for the first coat. I watched a handful of YT videos for this kit and a couple mentioned to go light on the coats. The paint seemed fairly thin and watery, I could see the paint running if I tried to brush it on too thick. The 2nd/3rd coats seemed to be more tolerant of globbing it on.
  5. Get extra brushes. I went through 3, including the one that comes with the kit. Paint was hardening on the brush.
  6. The paint does not match the tow hooks. I wanted to try and touch up the rear hook where powdercoat was missing. Tried and failed miserably, I wiped it off quickly once I realized it did not come close to matching. The G2 kit is more on the orangish side, IMHO.
Take my points with a grain, since YMMV depending on how anal-retentive you are about the project. I was agitated by the paint on the clips holding in the brake pads but convinced myself it's not a big deal since they'll be replaced when I eventually need to replace the pads. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? o8sMLMJ

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 6454izS

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? HL2rLLP

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? Ha1jTvY

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? WUbapFH

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? qKqotAP

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? TEoTmit

Also stumbled across a couple of older pics where I tested the effectiveness of the JTops top to cutdown temps of the leather seats. Temps were in the high-80's, mid-afternoon after sitting in the sun for 10 minutes or so (was too impatient to let it sit for longer length of time).
Rear Seats:

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? TwLyC4X

Front seats:
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? gpNnAyf

Last edited:

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Watched a few videos on YT last night and ended up deciding for $45 I’d just go with the Fast Fid kit. Yanked off about 5’ of line so should still be useable.
Since you like YouTube. Look up How to tie a a soft shackle and make one with the broken end.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Not sure if it counts that I did it :giggle: but I picked up Motobilt inner fenders from the powder coating shop. These will be installed when the lift and tires go on next week! The lighting is weird but it’s the Rubicon decal’s border’s red against a textured black.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? A8F18C0A-0F11-485B-8539-3B37D9DA5908

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
Installed the Fab Fours bumper but didn’t like seeing the steering components and those two bolt holes on the frame. Couldn’t decide on a skid plate option. So I dremeled a couple of notches in the old cover plate, painted it dull black and put it back on.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? A8F18C0A-0F11-485B-8539-3B37D9DA5908
I agree with you, didn’t like the bolt holes either when I took the plastic skid and metal bracket off to install a front receiver. Decided to leave the skid and bracket off, and used the frame bolts to secure some amber KC Cyclones as markers that turn on with the fogs.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 11B5E6E2-FD53-468E-B348-C6D11002B7A5

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? EA490044-E71B-4E20-82B1-DF0A748EEA7D

ATXRubican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I know a lot of people are putting their hard tops back on as we're getting closer to winter, but since its still in the 90's here in Austin, I thought it would be a good time to finally pull the trigger on purchasing/installing a Trek-Top and I'm glad I did.

2EE30F4B-F296-426B-BC18-9127F7A43117_1_201_a.jpeg

640E93DF-D21E-4BE0-9901-EC53734B2BA4_1_201_a.jpeg

28A8A73D-C4AF-4824-A14F-B3820BDE6D9C_1_201_a.jpeg

04BB5F3A-E197-42F5-8B8D-FDF53BEFA756_1_201_a.jpeg