First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Went under my JLUR today and changed out the transfer case fluid. I’ve only got around 9,000 miles on the clock but mainly because I was looking for an excuse to wrench in the garage I decided this would be an great time to complete this task.

I ended up going with Redline C+ATF fluid but only because I was given a couple of bottles by a friend.

6C0B1FFB-3200-4B7E-BCD9-57A3CEB1C3DF.jpeg

2 quarts of ATF+4 fluid meeting the Chrysler MS-9602 standard is all you’ll need fluid wise. Valvoline, Pennzoil, MoPar, and other manufacturers offer a wide selection of great choices at much cheaper prices than the Redline.

If you do go with Redline, two things - first, it doesn’t carry the official MS-9602 certification (important to some folks; apparently due to business reasons as opposed to quality). Secondly, a standard quart size hand pump (essential for dispensing the fluid neatly into the fill port) won’t screw securely to the Redline quart size bottles.

I kinda prioritize a mess-free experience (at the expense of time) and so I ended up funneling the Redline fluid into empty standard size quart bottles. It was an extra step but it made the filling process completely mess and drama free.

You’ll also need a 10mm hex bit, a torque wrench, a drain pan and if you have a JLUR you’ll want to definitely consider acquiring these two things for the job:

1) Flexible fluid funnel:

E12D0EE0-0613-4D99-BA41-46816929495C.jpeg

2) 12 inch extension bar for your wrench

EEC7CB69-4250-40DC-A029-26B8E337F24C.jpeg

The skid plate makes emptying the fluid a chore to do without spilling it. One option is to remove the skid plate altogether or perhaps maybe as few as a couple of bolts on it to “swing” it out of the way (or so I’ve read).

Another approach (the one I chose) is to use a flexible/malleable funnel which allows you to position the funnel between the skid plate and the bottom of the transfer case. Within a few seconds, the funnel can be easily manipulated through a slot in the skid plate and contoured perfectly into a pre-positioned drain pan on the ground.

The result for me was not a drop of fluid was spilled and not a single bolt was turned on the skid plate when draining the old fluid.

The 12” extension bar is to make it easier to use the torque wrench (it can be tight fit under there) to loosen/reapply the drain and fill bolts to factory spec. The length of the factory skid plate can make getting a good turn on the wrench a major accomplishment and a 12” extension bar was just what the doctor ordered.
Might be a dumb question... but I have done my own oil changes, and I also changed out both front and rear diff oil. I want to change out the t-case fluid but there seem to be much less (if any) DIY posts or videos. It seems simple enough, but can you share a bit more info please?

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2018 CX-5, 2020 RAM 1500 BTS
Finally replaced the dash and sound bar tweeters... I can hear music above 20 now! Took getting a new truck with way better system to remind me how bad the base speakers are in the Jeep...

Kian

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR EcoDiesel Billet Silver
Finally added a Sunrider just in time for another wheeling trip in Ouray this weekend!

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 0FFC16F9-2199-4762-9821-83622900F309

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 0FFC16F9-2199-4762-9821-83622900F309
What side steps? They’re awesome, I’m looking at the ace engineering so I can still keep my stock rubi rails but these look very clean..

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 3B71F990-9901-4981-AB39-9E11392AEEFD

After TSB. I put back synergy track bar brace and teraflex track bar.
No issues with the new steering box and the Synergy Sector Shaft brace? I have the brace but never got around to installing it. Now I am waiting for the new steering box. Is the steering a lot better now?

B&Wpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited
No issues with the new steering box and the Synergy Sector Shaft brace? I have the brace but never got around to installing it. Now I am waiting for the new steering box. Is the steering a lot better now?
I guess better than before, I put it back as a some kind of insurance.