wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I made the hood vents functional. I used a Dremel tool cut out the bottom so that heat could escape out from under the hood. Then cut through the insulation board making a hole about the same size as the hood vents. I used double sided tape and taped Outerwear Pre-filter fabric over the insulation holes so that water will not just pour into the engine compartment and still drain off like it does from the factory.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1601420707219

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1601420738413

The Outer Wear fabric is what is used as a pre filter for the air filters on ATVs, dirt bikes, SxS and snowmobile air intakes. Air can pass through, but water will not. Not saying that water can't be forced through it. But under normal loads from an ATV, an ATV will usually not pull water through the fabric. So it should work great with no load going down and I would think that any water on the fabric will blow off going down the road. Should in theory work great. I have seen others do this and they say it lower operating temps by about 10 degrees. I just have not seen anyone use the Outerwear fabric to keep water from entering engine compart from the hood vents.

Things that I used.
Outerwear Pre-filter Material from Amazon

3M super strength double sided tape

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
All done within the last week or so...

Generic LED Lighting for Fishbone Rack
After installing the Fishbone Rack about 2 weeks ago, it can be dark in the trunk area as it blocks light coming in. A quick $20 LED strip light kit from Amazon helps take care of that. It's not the brightest in the world, but it'll work for now (pics taken in my garage for added darkness).

Before

After

B&M Sport Shifter and Transfer Case Handle
Huge upgrade over stock for a great feeling shifter. I wish the stock shifter would have come from the factory with a setup that felt this good.

CMM Side Mirrors
And to top it off, driving around with the doors off, means no mirrors. To me this is terribly uncomfortable and nerve wracking, especially with not knowing what's coming up alongside you in your blind spot. The glass is a little on the small side, but they're solid! Not the cheapest option, but you certainly get what you pay for here.
Looks great! I need the details, I have the B&M tranny shifter with the stock gear shift. How much of an improvement is the B&M gear shifter?

Also, I have the same mirror setup, but I switched mine to the mount above the handle and like it a lot more, just an FYI.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I took the hard top off mine and hung it in the garage for the first time today after picking it up last week. I'm going to add an additional set of straps to pull it up higher and not have it free swinging next. Will also be extra insurance to avoid the 911 getting a new hat following an earthquake or something.

PXL_20200929_043114956.jpg
Nice vehicle combo you have!
I made the hood vents functional. I used a Dremel tool cut out the bottom so that heat could escape out from under the hood. Then cut through the insulation board making a hole about the same size as the hood vents. I used double sided tape and taped Outerwear Pre-filter fabric over the insulation holes so that water will not just pour into the engine compartment and still drain off like it does from the factory.

The Outer Wear fabric is what is used as a pre filter for the air filters on ATVs, dirt bikes, SxS and snowmobile air intakes. Air can pass through, but water will not. Not saying that water can't be forced through it. But under normal loads from an ATV, an ATV will usually not pull water through the fabric. So it should work great with no load going down and I would think that any water on the fabric will blow off going down the road. Should in theory work great. I have seen others do this and they say it lower operating temps by about 10 degrees. I just have not seen anyone use the Outerwear fabric to keep water from entering engine compart from the hood vents.

Things that I used.
Outerwear Pre-filter Material from Amazon

3M super strength double sided tape
Let me know how this works out - have been wanting to do the same but in MD so much rain and my Jeep sits at the airport parking lot for weeks at a time (pre-COVID) was worried over rain water.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

All done within the last week or so...

Generic LED Lighting for Fishbone Rack
After installing the Fishbone Rack about 2 weeks ago, it can be dark in the trunk area as it blocks light coming in. A quick $20 LED strip light kit from Amazon helps take care of that. It's not the brightest in the world, but it'll work for now (pics taken in my garage for added darkness).

Before
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 7C74149B-78D4-4D54-80BF-542378DD182A

After
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 7C74149B-78D4-4D54-80BF-542378DD182A

B&M Sport Shifter and Transfer Case Handle
Huge upgrade over stock for a great feeling shifter. I wish the stock shifter would have come from the factory with a setup that felt this good.

CMM Side Mirrors
And to top it off, driving around with the doors off, means no mirrors. To me this is terribly uncomfortable and nerve wracking, especially with not knowing what's coming up alongside you in your blind spot. The glass is a little on the small side, but they're solid! Not the cheapest option, but you certainly get what you pay for here.
Did you do the B&M shifter install yourself

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Yep, it’s a hoot. Still getting used to it, just picked it up today.

Any driveability issues? And what was the total cost if you don't mind? Looking to do the same but can't get a clear answer

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
No drivability issues, but I’ve put only about 90 miles on it. Feels like a different engine, power across the range very noticeable. Mines a 6 speed. Approx 13 hours labor, plus price of the blower.

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
Looks great! I need the details, I have the B&M tranny shifter with the stock gear shift. How much of an improvement is the B&M gear shifter?

Also, I have the same mirror setup, but I switched mine to the mount above the handle and like it a lot more, just an FYI.
Oh, the B&M Sport Shifter is a huge improvement over the stock shifter. Shorter throws, more solid feeling, and a more comfortable grip. It's hard to explain, but every gear change just feels so much better! I should have done this the day I drove it off the lot.

I considered the higher position for the mirrors and might still give it a try, but we'll see - this is fairly similar position to stock, but I'm always up for something new.

Did you do the B&M shifter install yourself
Yes. Total time with the Transfer Case Handle took me about 60-90 minutes, going slow and following along with the video from B&M. Hardest part was getting the stock shift knob off (hammer and a piece of wood worked great - forget that plastic trim removal tool from the video). Oh, and don't forget to throw some blue Loctite on the new threads before putting the knobs back on - this way the patterns line up properly, especially the main shifter. The transfer case knob has a locking nut to get it to align, but both got the blue treatment.

You going to try it?

JLUCQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I'm good. Thanks though. 160K miles with a similar setup in my JK, and no issues. It lives offroad, and the JL is off-road every day driving old gas and timber roads and trails in the hills of WV and KY. But, you do you. I buy my jeeps for work, not to have sitting out in the mall parking lot. The lift and larger tires are a necessity due to water bars and other obstacles I have to cross constantly. If I ever have an issue, I will be sure to let you know though. One can have an off road vehicle that still drives well between work and home.
My post was 100% sarcasm.