RTJ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited
20190411_182332.jpg
Designed and installed cargo enclosure, mounted spare on top.
Looks really cool! Side note. If some idiot pulls out in front of you is what's holding the spare strong enough to hold that much weight so the wheel doesnt go thru your headrests and thru the back of your heads? Sorry but I gotta play devils advocate.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
There is a Wilco bed mount spare tire anchor in there with a 7/8" threaded rod through a welded bolt in the deck. Has a D ring to lock on the spare with a bike lock, too

slimfl08

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't got the death wobble yet, figured I would be proactive. Upgraded the steering stabilizer. Researching tie rods and draglinks. Recommendations appreciated!

IMG_1050.JPG.jpeg

Travis

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
20190411_182332.jpg
Designed and installed cargo enclosure, mounted spare on top.
Looks great, can you share design details, any issues you had building it, material, deminsions, more photos? I've been waiting for slipstream and backbone to make a 2 door version without the back seat in. Thanks in advance.

jmkling

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rvgreenboard.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR with Sky Top
Occupation
Retired Navy Commander
Those are awesome. What size and how much?
Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 315/70/17. 17x8 +28 offset
5 tires, rims with TPMS mounted and balanced with new lugs was a little over $2500 at Quadratec and I sold my old set for $1000 so cost me only $1500 out of pocket

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't got the death wobble yet, figured I would be proactive. Upgraded the steering stabilizer. Researching tie rods and draglinks. Recommendations appreciated!

IMG_1050.JPG.jpeg
Steer smarts, you wont regret it. Its so beefy.

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Wow - those quadratec liners look decent. I figured the Mopar ones (at the time) were the best ones. How's the quality and feel and fit? Looks decent to me.

Honest answer - I think you have a lot better options in terms of looks. Not sure how bright/etc. they are. But they don't "go well" with your jeep.
Wow - those quadratec liners look decent. I figured the Mopar ones (at the time) were the best ones. How's the quality and feel and fit? Looks decent to me.

Honest answer - I think you have a lot better options in terms of looks. Not sure how bright/etc. they are. But they don't "go well" with your jeep.
I like them. Fit is great. I'm swapping Quadratec stickers out for Rubicon stickers. Price was perfect.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Looks great, can you share design details, any issues you had building it, material, deminsions, more photos? I've been waiting for slipstream and backbone to make a 2 door version without the back seat in. Thanks in advance.
I was very interested in the Diabolical slipstream, but unfortunately, it was not available for the 2 door when I started this project, and I need secure storage for the summer, considering top and doors came off for the season a few days ago. I will say that I believe the Diabolical product to be well worth the money, after designing and building my own cargo enclosure. If I had been paying for labor and adding profitability, it would have easily gotten to the price point of the Slipstream product, and the Slipstream product is definitely superior to my one-off.

My criteria was as follows:
  • Security—locking tailgate must secure the cargo area.
  • Watertight—Intended to leave exposed to elements, need storage area to be sealed for luggage, supplies, etc.
  • Load carrying capacity—250 lbs. dynamic load—I am mounting my 37” spare tire/wheel on top.
  • Must mount to allow soft top installation with enclosure in-place.
Material choices:
  • Marine grade HDPE (King Starboard) after researching materials. This material is waterproof; pre-finished in my color (my Jeep is black—but it comes in several shades of white and gray, as well); tough; light weight; relatively inexpensive; and I could cut it with circular and jig saws, which I already owned.
  • 80/20 aluminum extrusion because it is light and versatile (definitely not cheap though!).
  • 5/16-18 hardware, to keep it simple and standardized. I chose to use standard hex head bolts, but security cap screws could be employed for the top if an additional measure of security is desired.
This basic design can be modified to suit a person’s specific application. I chose to make a full bolt-down top, since I intended to mount my spare tire above (I used a Wilco bed mount with a bicycle combination lock for security). It could also be designed with a clamped removable and/or hinged lid of varying size, by locating the cross member at location to suit specific needs.

A door or port could also easily be added behind the driver’s seat with a combination locking latch for quick access to the storage area from the cockpit.

Materials:
  • 60” & 48” 80/20 1.5” series 15 aluminum extrusion
  • 72” x 1.5” x 1.5” aluminum angle
  • Right angle supports, series 15
  • Internal angle connectors, series 15
  • Heavy duty internal angle connectors, series 15
  • 4-hole right angle gusset supports, series 15
  • 1” ratchet shipping straps
  • ¼” D rings
  • Plastic end caps
  • 5/16-18 hex cap screws with t slot nuts (for frame assembly)
  • Lot 5/16-18 hex head bolts, with lock nuts, fender washers, neoprene washers (for skin mounting)
  • 1 ½” x 3/8” closed cell foam gasket material, adhesive 1 side
  • 1” x 3/4” closed cell foam gasket material, adhesive 1 side
  • ¼” x 1/8” closed cell foam gasket material, adhesive 1 side
  • 3/8” Marine C trim
  • 5/16”-18 x 1 1/2” adjustable furniture feet
  • 3/8” marine HDPE 4’ x 8’ sheet
  • (2) 1/8” marine HDPE 2’ x 4’ sheets
Assembly steps:
  1. Construct A frame and legs from 80/20. Tap bottom of each leg for 5/16-18 thread, attach feet. D rings are attached to the rear legs, and a shipping strap was used on each side to secure it to the roll bar pedestal.
  2. Make brackets from angle, bolt to the 80/20 frame.
  3. Create template for cutouts around roll bars (I used tongue depressors and hot glue).
  4. Cut out HDPE and mount with gaskets to make watertight and edging to get finished look.
Costing:

I ended up with a bit over $400 in materials (not counting spare tire mount), and 4 hours in manufacturing. I had about 3 hours actually assembling and installing on the Jeep.

20190416_183405.jpg
20190416_183251.jpg
20190416_183209.jpg
20190416_183244.jpg
20190416_182917.jpg
20190324_190913.jpg

Last edited: