Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I installed an OBD-II port lock. A recent thread on the vulnerability of modern vehicles to car thieves planted a little seed on the subject.

Like most security doodads, the lock provides little more than visual deterrence, and/or the ability to slow down the offender's efforts a bit.

IMG_20230112_100040.jpg
IMG_20230112_100558.jpg
I like the idea, but it looks like a universal key?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I like the idea, but it looks like a universal key?
It uses a ball/depression interface with an eccentric pattern.

If nothing else, its presence should leave no doubt in the mind of the dealer tech, etc. that the vehicle's owner doesn't want anything plugged into the OBD-II port.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

If nothing else, its presence should leave no doubt in the mind of the dealer tech, etc. that the vehicle's owner doesn't want anything plugged into the OBD-II port.
I've only found a couple good salesmen, never good dealer techs...

SmallCrawler

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR

I have the same "tune saver" port lock and I am happy to slow down or prevent someone from messing with my ecu (e.g. to program a new fob and drive away).

Not too worried about the dealer though, unless they want to keep my jeep parked overnight outside the shop. In fact, the last time I checked in for my free oil change the service writer insisted on plugging in their scanner. Since I am not running a tune, and have not used a Tazer, I was ok with this. Probably checking for codes in order to find more work I guess.

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I understand the DD are brighter, but do you think the "shutter" on the top of the OEM fogs also reduce full output of the OEM fog lights? I am talking about if you look at the OEM fog lights, you can see the upper top of it is blocked off. Has anyone tried to remove the blocked off area?
Found a close-up picture is OEM LED fog lights….can that top silver “baffle” be removed?
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 925C464D-F133-45B2-88F1-503708A9BF7D

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I installed an OBD-II port lock. A recent thread on the vulnerability of modern vehicles to car thieves planted a little seed on the subject.

Like most security doodads, the lock provides little more than visual deterrence, and/or the ability to slow down the offender's efforts a bit.

IMG_20230112_100040.jpg
IMG_20230112_100558.jpg

We currently have a theft ring running from Toronto to Montreal. There is a major port in Montreal ran by corruption so it's easy to get them sent to Africa.
Oddly enough, we have seen 4Xe's get abandoned once the piece of shit thieves realise they're electric cause Africa doesn't have infrastructure to support charging them. Lol

They have the same computers that the dealers have.

They pop hood. Pull fuses for horn and head unit. Punch passenger side door lock. Remove glove box and connect just like the dealer to STAR connector. Create a new key and drive away. In about 5 min.
They also know about the Tazer brake lock and pull Tasers out of OBDII.

For some reason Jeep doesnt enable the hood pins to sound alarm. That alone has saved at least one JT in the area.

People are using a U shaped bike lock from steering wheel to holy shit handle.

Unfortunately, I wish it was as easy as a OBDII weakness. I would just leave bypass cable connected all the time. The STAR connector made OBDII security moot.

Currently dealers are pulling fuel pump fuses on their lots to combat this shit. Jeep told them to do that. 2 dealers in the area have said they can't enable hood pins like JScan and Tazer.
I'm actually surprised we aren't seeing this in US port cities as well.

Last edited:

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Got the XR flares on to help with the crap getting slung up. They don’t fully cover the offset from the Tanks, but it’s close enough! Plus I like the look. We shall see how they handle being drug across rocks though.

30FC0F78-B446-40AF-9636-11A048165E36.jpeg

CDC8F39C-ABE1-4633-9650-2D6FC73E0166.jpeg

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Is the ATF for the transfer case? I needed 3 bags for my Rubicon.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

PatriotX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe
We currently have a theft ring running from Toronto to Montreal. There is a major port in Montreal ran by corruption so it's easy to get them sent to Africa.
Oddly enough, we have seen 4Xe's get abandoned once the piece of shit thieves realise they're electric cause Africa doesn't have infrastructure to support charging them. Lol

They have the same computers that the dealers have.

They pop hood. Pull fuses for horn and head unit. Punch passenger side door lock. Remove glove box and connect just like the dealer to STAR connector. Create a new key and drive away. In about 5 min.
They also know about the Tazer brake lock and pull Tasers out of OBDII.

For some reason Jeep doesnt enable the hood pins to sound alarm. That alone has saved at least one JT in the area.

People are using a U shaped bike lock from steering wheel to holy shit handle.

Unfortunately, I wish it was as easy as a OBDII weakness. I would just leave bypass cable connected all the time. The STAR connector made OBDII security moot.

Currently dealers are pulling fuel pump fuses on their lots to combat this shit. Jeep told them to do that. 2 dealers in the area have said they can't enable hood pins like JScan and Tazer.
I'm actually surprised we aren't seeing this in US port cities as well.
Similar issue in Chicago, had my Trackhawk taken from O’Hare by thief with dealer computer. They drove out with their new key enrolled.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
"Woke got out of bed dragged a comb across my head".

In the down pour gave the bitch botox to match that ass. Reinstall Cavfab Pred Sand black.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1000001272

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
"Woke got out of bed dragged a comb across my head".

In the down pour gave the bitch botox to match that ass. Reinstall Cavfab Pred Sand black.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1000001272
What marker lights are those, and are they hooked up to your turn signals? I've been wanting to do something like that with mine. Seems that those small LED blinkers on my flat fenders just aren't bright enough & nobody seems to notice them when I'm making turns.

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram 2500 Longhorn, 2022 JLURD
Finished a skid install. ASFIR engine/oil pan and fuel filter skids for JLURD. Lightweight aluminum, stout in my estimation. A good balance between protection and minimal weight gain I would recommend this brand easy bolt on installation
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? AAF02EDC-DEE7-483C-B971-72E82A76446C
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 8192519C-577C-453D-B6BA-4400ADCFB35C
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 3B59A85C-A5B3-4333-9F51-8B3D4533E4EF