ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
Replaced the lug nuts to all black locking ones. I think it looks better to have the wheels all black.

Before:
AA8C63DC-9ED2-4BA1-9561-65D4D71D202E.jpeg

After:
22CCB0E1-94D1-4927-B95F-28048E66121B.jpeg

1DBAF961-02D2-4589-9A71-26B039709DF8.jpeg
That looks fantastic! Nice job! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Was hoping to do this with my old man (and his lift), but I got tired of looking at the box. Today I swapped the old beer can muffler for an Injen high tuck axle back. First had to loosen the OE clamp - 15mm, which I didn't have of course, so a trip to the hardware store was in order. Then getting the muffler off the rubber hangers, which was a massive pain.

59562d96-711e-4039-a5d8-f1e231c69678.jpg

First one down.

IMG20220927123724.jpg

Oldie out. The thing was stuck pretty tight on the mid pipe, thankfully after a bit of garage door lubricant and physical persuasion it came off.

IMG20220927123845.jpg

New hotness. Be prepared - the instructions don't say whether it slips into the mid or over like the OE does. It's the latter, and my pipe needed a bit of convincing with pliers before it would slip over the mid. Also, the instructions say to use a 17mm socket on the replacement clamp, which is wrong - I should have tested the 15mm I had on hand. I guess now I've got one more socket though, so it could be worse!

47bb29e3-156a-412a-b42b-84ebb9df60d5.jpg

Doesn't tuck up as high as I'd hoped, but it has much better flow over the OE with the massive pinch in the pipe, and the sound is great as well.
Okay, I apparently am inept, as this past weekend I went to pull my muffler off so that I could paint it black with high heat matte black paint, but could not for the life of me get it to come off the pipe. Got all the bolts removed without issue very quickly, to include the 15mm one on the pipe collar, but it appeared to me that there was a spot weld that was holding it in place and it would virtually not budge at all. It's a 2018, so maybe it's just kind of corroded in place, but I don't think that was the issue. Lots of twisting and turning and I finally stopped before I damaged something permanently, the Jeep or my body. I'm clearly missing something. Tip on getting that thing off?

Oh, and that Injen unit does look awesome. πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ If I could find an aftermarket black twin exhaust unit that was no louder than the factory single pipe I'd do that in a heartbeat, but so far everything I've seen/heard does not meet those parameters. If anyone knows of one, let me know, please!

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Okay, I apparently am inept, as this past weekend I went to pull my muffler off so that I could paint it black with high heat matte black paint, but could not for the life of me get it to come off the pipe. Got all the bolts removed without issue very quickly, to include the 15mm one on the pipe collar, but it appeared to me that there was a spot weld that was holding it in place and it would virtually not budge at all. It's a 2018, so maybe it's just kind of corroded in place, but I don't think that was the issue. Lots of twisting and turning and I finally stopped before I damaged something permanently, the Jeep or my body. I'm clearly missing something. Tip on getting that thing off?

Oh, and that Injen unit does look awesome. πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ If I could find an aftermarket black twin exhaust unit that was no louder than the factory single pipe I'd do that in a heartbeat, but so far everything I've seen/heard does not meet those parameters. If anyone knows of one, let me know, please!
Gracias, i doubt it'll stay so pristine for long but the looks were secondary to the sound! The spot weld you're referencing was something I ran into as well, I think it's just a little indexing tack to ensure they have it oriented right from the factory. Shouldn't be keeping it on in any way. I found that I had to blast a wd40 equivalent that I had laying around into the gaps before I could get any movement at all (I also may have hammered a flathead into said gap to pry it open a bit along with some choice expletives). Then I sat back behind the Jeep and bear hugged the muffler while pushing back with my feet on the rear axle. Very shadetree, but it got it done. A bit of twisting action also helped loosen it up. Considering how much my abs and back hurt, I may not have done it the same way again though. Good luck!

Gritthing

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Do you have a link to these lug nuts? I’m definitely getting those for mine, looks much better
They’re on amazon.

it’s the Gorilla Automotive Black 14mm x 1.50 Thread Size Chrome Finish Duplex Acorn Wheel Lock 24 pack (76644NBC)

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Gracias, i doubt it'll stay so pristine for long but the looks were secondary to the sound! The spot weld you're referencing was something I ran into as well, I think it's just a little indexing tack to ensure they have it oriented right from the factory. Shouldn't be keeping it on in any way. I found that I had to blast a wd40 equivalent that I had laying around into the gaps before I could get any movement at all (I also may have hammered a flathead into said gap to pry it open a bit along with some choice expletives). Then I sat back behind the Jeep and bear hugged the muffler while pushing back with my feet on the rear axle. Very shadetree, but it got it done. A bit of twisting action also helped loosen it up. Considering how much my abs and back hurt, I may not have done it the same way again though. Good luck!
Okay, that sounds right. I was going to do the WD-40 thing, but was running out of daylight, so reattached all the bolts and decided to reattack another day. Appreciate the response. We'll see what I can do this weekend!

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
Waiting on big brown truck to show up today with new Mopar Rubicon stubby bumper. Hope the install goes a lot better than the removal. Those nuts just didn't want to come off. Would a little oil on bolts be a smart move when tightening nuts or leave it as is ? I guess this is where an air tool would be most helpful. LOL...

IMG-1536.JPG

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
A little anti-seize always works wonders...

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
Big brown truck showed up as scheduled. Never a doubt......:whew: Completed install of Rubicon stubby. Found out that if you loosen the bracket on one side of the bumper mounting post the new bumper will slip right on. Love the bumper but I wish they would have included the end cap mounting bolts to complete the look of the bumper. I need to buy a set of 10-12 bolts so I don't have to look at the screw holes. I notice this bumper has a small, 3/4", hole on the left, passenger side? Anyone know what its for?

IMG-1539 (1).JPG

IMG-1541.JPG