What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
There are now just enough forum photos of Jeeps with the Oracle flush mount LEDs installed that they're starting to look correct on our Wranglers. 👍 This has the effect of making the OEM tail lights appear more bloated than they already are.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Had it Fluid Filmed. Should be interesting to see how it looks after it hits some dirt roads.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Had it Fluid Filmed. Should be interesting to see how it looks after it hits some dirt roads.
Messy, and possibly smelling of lanolin.

I've used Fluid Film for decades, for discrete applications that haven't included treating the undercarriage of vehicles. It has its place, for sure, but experience has proven that it's not as broadband a product as some would make it out to be.

Do report back and let us know your observations, post-dirt. :beer:

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Messy, and possibly smelling of lanolin.

I've used Fluid Film for decades, for discrete applications that haven't included treating the undercarriage of vehicles. It has its place, for sure, but experience has proven that it's not as broadband a product as some would make it out to be.

Do report back and let us know your observations, post-dirt. :beer:
It definitely smells. I didnt expect that and its not pleasant. Ive never done it before but Im trying to keep this Jeep for as long as I can so figured Id give it a go. I’ll let ya know later this week how its looking lol.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! 2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
There are now just enough forum photos of Jeeps with the Oracle flush mount LEDs installed that they're starting to look correct on our Wranglers. 👍 This has the effect of making the OEM tail lights appear more bloated than they already are.
You're right, James. I'm holding out for now, but dang, rarely does an aftermarket product come out in Gen 1 fashion that hits the OEM look right out of the gate. Oracle did a fantastic job on these. I will probably cave soon, especially since I don't have the Safety Group sensors that the bulky parts of the taillights are for. I will say, the OEM lights are distinctive from the rear from all others out there, so that is part of the reason I've held off. Sigh...First World issues...

Last edited:

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! 2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
I waved goodbye as I board this flight to the land of fruits and nuts for a business trip.
Heading to California? (Sorry CA dudes and dudettes, you know we love you...)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
AEV claims that they did a crapload of testing and tweaking to make sure that it didn't negatively impact it, but I don't have a before / after perspective to verify that.
That's ok, they probobly opened up your hood vents to make them functional. Yes, I went there. ;)

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
Installed LED headlight bulbs. As many have said it's a very simple task but of course I had to turn it into a half day job. To get the grill off I had to remove the winch mounting bolts so the winch could slide forward enough to pull the grill off. I cleaned all the dirt and bugs out of the cooler since I had access to it. With the grill off I cleaned up the routing of the winch cables and fog light wiring. When putting the winch bolts back in I cross threaded one and had to replace the bolt and nut.

When it was all back together I noticed that on the right head light the little fitting where you put a screwdriver or allen wrench in to adjust the head light was missing. I looked for it in my work are but couldn't find it. I've decided it wasn't installed at the factory. The one on the left head light is
left.jpg
right.jpg
in very securely and can't be pulled out. It has to be in tight so the gears turn to adjust the light and the fitting doesn't just spin when making adjustments. I've looked for just the adjustment fitting and can't find one. I still need to call Jeep and may try a salvage yard for a complete assemble to cannabilize from.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Installed LED headlight bulbs.

When it was all back together I noticed that on the right head light the little fitting where you put a screwdriver or allen wrench in to adjust the head light was missing.
If oncoming motorists flash their headlights at you due to incorrect aim of the pax-side headlight, there is a possible fix here in the absence of the adjuster:

-Aim your headlights at a wall that you're parked maybe 20' away from, and place a piece of masking tape on the top of the beam cutoff of the driver's side light. Mark the center of the beam with a vertical line on the tape.
-Remove the grille again. (I know :()
-Loosen and/or adjust the three 10mm bolts that secure the right headlight in place on the vehicle. Have a few washers on hand to use as shims so that when the centered cutoff of the right headlight now matches the correct cutoff of the left light, the bolts may be tightened (with any necessary washer shims already installed) to secure the DIY adjustment in place.

I know the foregoing sounds a bit busy, but it's straightforward and should work. More to the point, we do have a responsibility to other drivers to not blind them with maladjusted headlights. 👍

--------------------

I make occasional visits to a local U-Pull-It yard. If or when I find a JL that I want to cherry pick, and if I remember, I'll determine if I can snag an adjuster fitting for you.

Southers313

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You're right, James. I'm holding out for now, but dang, rarely does an aftermarket product come out in Gen 1 fashion that hits the OEM look right out of the gate. Oracle did a fantastic job on these. I will probably cave soon, especially since I don't have the Safety Group sensors that the bulky parts of the taillights are for. I will say, the OEM lights are distinctive from the rear from all others out there, so that is part of the reason I've held off. Sigh...First World issues...
I love the shape of the OEM lights - which is exactly why I have opted for the @Quake LED blackout taillights on each of my last two builds.

OG Shark

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubi
Swapped out the painted grill for the satin black grill. 50/50 on it right now. I have bumpers coming that I need to have powder coated & plan to match the black of the new grill - think it will look better like that. Trying to knock out some cosmetic stuff before the fun stuff gets here.

001(1).jpg

001(2).jpg

Offroad Source