What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I used vampire taps (I hate them but they are easy) on the Jeep wiring harness and ran the wires to the USB ports.

Tested everything and it all worked. Put it all together and no power to the ports. Pulled it back out, pulled on the wires in the vampire taps and it had power. Did I say I hate vampire taps?
If by "vampire taps" you mean Scotch Lock connectors, yes, the crimps are too aggressive for long-term safety.

Next time, consider Posi-Tap connectors. Much less intrusive, but reliably perform the same function.

Craniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU
If by "vampire taps" you mean Scotch Lock connectors, yes, the crimps are too aggressive for long-term safety.

Next time, consider Posi-Tap connectors. Much less intrusive, but reliably perform the same function.
Yep. Scotch Lock, T tap, work by cutting the insulation and often a few strands of copper. Also It. Leaves the conductor open to corrosion. Since the wires weren’t being used by anything else I wasn’t to worried about damage. And where they are located it is unlikely they will corrode.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
If you know, I just bought a used 2020 Willys Sport Wrangler in Bikini Pearl. I bought it a few states away and drove it home this week. Today was the ANAL Inspection time for this USAF Mechanic. I’ll just make a list of what I did…..

1) Full 5 Tire Rotation with full detail of each tire and rim. No curbing found and no issues with the wheels or tires.

2) At each wheel well, cleaning and spraying Fluid Film in areas that may need this. Florida Car, now living in the Rust Belt of NY State. Went through 2 full spray cans of Fluid Film.

3). While the Wheel detail was going on, an Oil and Filter change was going on. 0W-20 Full Synthetic with a Mopar Filter.

4) Full frame inspection for poor paint areas on the Frame and or bodywork. Was very very pleased with the way the undercarriage looked when compared to how BAD my 2013 JK Wrangler was.

5) Full wash, Full Claybar on all painted surfaces, and full wax using my favorite wax JET WAX by Chemical Brothers.

6) Install new Cabin Air Filter, Engine Air filter okay!

Ive seen some complaints about paint quality in the threads here. My 2013 JK needed me to do a full paint correction due to poor clearcoat. Thankfully it was thick enough to turn out well. The New to me Willys does not need this at all and as stated, I am ANAL!

A few Pics because I know someone will ask!

4E7DE542-9EF6-4FE3-9FCF-0ADF02146A77.jpeg

33A76FBD-E00F-44E0-8297-DCA81B6411E2.jpeg

F82B4C7B-1478-41FD-B0E5-F1EE57968D91.jpeg

Strikeeagle345

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLU Willys 2.0T
If you know, I just bought a used 2020 Willys Sport Wrangler in Bikini Pearl. I bought it a few states away and drove it home this week. Today was the ANAL Inspection time for this USAF Mechanic. I’ll just make a list of what I did…..

1) Full 5 Tire Rotation with full detail of each tire and rim. No curbing found and no issues with the wheels or tires.

2) At each wheel well, cleaning and spraying Fluid Film in areas that may need this. Florida Car, now living in the Rust Belt of NY State. Went through 2 full spray cans of Fluid Film.

3). While the Wheel detail was going on, an Oil and Filter change was going on. 0W-20 Full Synthetic with a Mopar Filter.

4) Full frame inspection for poor paint areas on the Frame and or bodywork. Was very very pleased with the way the undercarriage looked when compared to how BAD my 2013 JK Wrangler was.

5) Full wash, Full Claybar on all painted surfaces, and full wax using my favorite wax JET WAX by Chemical Brothers.

6) Install new Cabin Air Filter, Engine Air filter okay!

Ive seen some complaints about paint quality in the threads here. My 2013 JK needed me to do a full paint correction due to poor clearcoat. Thankfully it was thick enough to turn out well. The New to me Willys does not need this at all and as stated, I am ANAL!

A few Pics because I know someone will ask!

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? F82B4C7B-1478-41FD-B0E5-F1EE57968D91

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? F82B4C7B-1478-41FD-B0E5-F1EE57968D91

Man, that is quite the project. Notes taken.

EZPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
I finally caved and installed a winch. I wanted something low profile so went with the following:
-Warn Evo 10-S winch
-Warn winch mount
-Maximus-3 Filler trim plates (love how clean everything looks with these)
-Maximus-3 Hook anchor
I bought the Underground Graphics gold “Warn” labels but I kinda like the classic red ones. I may add the gold later.

What was the model for the Maximus-3 Filler trim plates?

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
I wasn't sure whether to like or hate this post. I saw these on Amazon for $199. I was thinking what for I never look up there, doesn't work any better, does look cool though. At $199 plus CA tax, easy pass. Then on sale for $149, added to the cart almost checked out but restrained. Then this post, plugged in the coupon, -$22 and checked out. The addiction is real.
I know, man. We are so sad. Absolutely no reason to change the OEM ones out other than these look and feel better. Oh well, the Just Empty Every Pocket thing is so real...😂

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I just did the same thing… How did you end up fixing it? Any tips?
The only thing you can do is buy a new hinge, paint it and clear coat it and replace it. I was warned that when you remove the existing hinge, you stand a chance of popping the paint where the hinge meets the panel.

Seriously, take all those nuts off and put them away and leave it be. Its not necessary and isnt worth fixing. This was the advice from the dealership bodyshop manager.

People have been leaving those nuts off for many years. Youll be fine without them.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The only thing you can do is buy a new hinge, paint it and clear coat it and replace it. I was warned that when you remove the existing hinge, you stand a chance of popping the paint where the hinge meets the panel.

Seriously, take all those nuts off and put them away and leave it be. Its not necessary and isnt worth fixing. This was the advice from the dealership bodyshop manager.

People have been leaving those nuts off for many years. Youll be fine without them.
You can pull the hinges off and replace with a new one and it won't damage the paint where you could see anything wrong. I pulled all mine and LineX'd them.

I have also always ran my doors without the nuts, OP will be fine without as you said.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
You can pull the hinges off and replace with a new one and it won't damage the paint where you could see anything wrong. I pulled all mine and LineX'd them.

I have also always ran my doors without the nuts, OP will be fine without as you said.
My drivers side top hinge wont release. Its stuck with what appears to be the clear coat. I took it to the body shop at the dealership and he said hes seen a bunch like that and when they pop them theyve had some pop the paint around the hinge. That was enough for me to say F it.

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Ok, good to know.. Thanks!
Gonna leave off for now and talk to body shop and see what they think. I wouldn’t care but wondering what the dealership would say if trade in or sell to someone.