First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Kia Forte, Hydro '21 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Librarian
Yesterday I dropped her off at the shop to get the front left fender replaced from the "Great April Fool's Day Garage Door Incident". For the moment, I'm scooting around in a rental 2022 Kia Soul -- which isn't a bad little car, but I sure do miss my Jeep.

When she gets back, the hubby and I are going to install the HotHeads hardtop headliner that has been sitting in my garage since September. I'm curious to see how much of an interior temperature difference it will make this summer, as well as a noise difference on those days where I don't have the panels off / windows down.

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
Where you planning on putting the lights…under the bar? Think you’ll lose much of the trail cam view?
You’re right. A lot of view will be blocked as I plan to bumper mount them just below it. Will be a sacrifice in the end. I do find I don’t focus too much on the cam during rides. But it’s nice to have.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Very busy late afternoon and evening...

Pulled my RCVs and reinstalled the stock axles (courtesy of @chevymitchell). While I was at it, I replaced the FAD gasket. But I also spent some time cleaning up the steering knuckle and surrounding areas to remove the grease and grime.

I then installed new rotor shields, hub bearings, and a new set of PowerStop rotors and pads. I replaced all of the nuts, bolts, boots, and assorted hardware and used a new brake grease that I really like (https://www.crcindustries.com/products/silaramic-174-brake-system-grease-5-wt-oz.html). I can already tell a difference in stopping power just with the fronts installed.

Rear PowerStop rotors/brakes (including e-brake shoes), transmission filter and fluid, transfer case fluid, and a brake fluid change are next on the block.

PS...I have read the hub nut is 36mm, but mine were 35mm. The other surprising thing is the brake caliper adapter requires more torque than the hub nut--148 ft-lb versus 100 ft-lb.

RCV sticking out...before cleaning

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20220517_212040

All cleaned up with a new Mopar hub ready for the hub nut to be installed onto the OEM axles:

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20220518_130548

New PowerStop rotor ready for pads:

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 20220518_140725

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
That crossmember is actually the automatic transmission “skid plate “
is there a technical reason as to why they are not included from the factory on 6speed manual jeeps?

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1652960913680

Last edited:

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
is there a technical reason as to why they are not included from the factory on 6speed manual jeeps?

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1652960913680
Speculating here but probably due to the fact that the 6spd doesn’t have a plastic pan hold all its fluid in.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Speculating here but probably due to the fact that the 6spd doesn’t have a plastic pan hold all its fluid in.
As i had posted earlier, i went ahead and added this part to make it “factory complete”. Not sure if in doing so it would obstruct any moving parts not found on automatic units?

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
As i had posted earlier, i went ahead and added this part to make it “factory complete”. Not sure if in doing so it would obstruct any moving parts not found on automatic units?
I think you will be fine. None of the aftermarket motor/trans skids differentiate by transmission just motor.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The pan on a ZF8 speed is steel, but the OEM "skid plates" do not protect it anyway (at least not much).

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Finally rearranged my rear sway bar endlinks. Rancho front and rear adjustable trac bars installed. Mopar extended cotrol arms on. (torquing a bolt to 190FtLBS is a beast while laying on the ground) Put on my Wrangler door sill guards, changed out that awful Pypes race pro stubby exhaust for the RedRock Rock crawler cat back. ( sounds much better, no drone and i can hear my radio now). Dropped it off for alighnment this morning, will post pics later today.

Ordered the Mopar CAI. Not because I wanted a CAI, but because I already have a hole in my hood from the snorkel and needed something semi-functional to do with it.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Installed some LOD Destroyer sliders, they went on easy once I got the correct instructions emailed for the fully welded version. I do not recommend going to the gym the morning of installing these if you have no floor jack or jack stands.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_1565