What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'd often heard about how fragile the Sun Visors were in these vehicles. So, I ran across these visor clips that should keep it from falling down. Figured I'd do some preventative maintenance so, I purchased a set on got them installed today.

Now, whether they will really work as advertised or not has yet to be seen, but, hopefully they'll work and keep the visor secured.

PXL_20211209_184841615.jpg

PXL_20211209_185154970.jpg
@Reldn

I saw the white crapola/residue/ whatever on this/your pic and immediately messaged the manufacturer and said what's with the blem on the item you sent to this guy....

His reply to me was....
"It’s residue from a tape we used to use….wipes right off, he musta got one from the first or second batch…..we don’t use tape anymore. It clogged up our tumbler"
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? sticker

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase

@Reldn

I saw the white crapola/residue/ whatever on this/your pic and immediately messaged the manufacturer and said what's with the blem on the item you sent to this guy....

His reply to me was....
"It’s residue from a tape we used to use….wipes right off, he musta got one from the first or second batch…..we don’t use tape anymore. It clogged up our tumbler"
@Rhinebeck01 I'm thinking of ordering these myself. I think you were going to test them out-any chance that you have had the opportunity to do so? While I am inclined to think they will work well (especially for those that have not YET broken) I had 3 questions/comments.

1. Wouldn't they be better if they were made from steel instead of plastic?

2. Does the longer replacement screw have the same thread pitch as the original, or is it inconsequential? It does appear to be a different screw. I'd rather not bugger up the original threads on the receiving end! Perhaps @Reldn may have some insight as well.

3. And lastly I like the design as it is mostly hidden. I do wonder if the vendor considered having it attach (anchored) on both sides instead of just the one. I would seem that there would be a lot of force/leverage on this plastic reinforcement part if and when the top of the visor gives up the ship! Having it anchored by the opposing screw on the other side of the anchor points might make this bullet proof. I do realize it would have to be redesigned to be longer and still be able to slide around the swivel of the sunvisor, but I do believe that would be feasible -especially since it is plastic and could possible snap into place. Make sense or am I overthinking it?

I figured I would direct these questions to you since you have already been in contact with the vendor. I do think it is a worthwhile acquisition and I am grateful that they developed these to solve what Jeep should have.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you may have.

-Rockhopper

p.s. I saw and noted the residue too...glad it was something easily dealt with.

Reldn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Rubicon, '22 4Runner TRD Pro, '22 Ram 1500

@Reldn

His reply to me was....
I had wondered about that at first as well. I had figured it was some form of leftover residue from a mold-release agent or somesuch. It does indeed wipe right off. Good to know!

@Rock Hopper Here's a comparison of the original screw and the replacement for the clip. They seem to match up well enough aside from the new screws being longer, which, when accounting for the thickness of the clip the lengths equal out when installed. I don't think they'll really mess with the original receiving threads.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? PXL_20211209_215000421

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'd often heard about how fragile the Sun Visors were in these vehicles. So, I ran across these visor clips that should keep it from falling down. Figured I'd do some preventative maintenance so, I purchased a set on got them installed today.

Now, whether they will really work as advertised or not has yet to be seen, but, hopefully they'll work and keep the visor secured.

Link please

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 I'm thinking of ordering these myself. I think you were going to test them out-any chance that you have had the opportunity to do so? While I am inclined to think they will work well (especially for those that have not YET broken) I had 3 questions/comments.

2. Does the longer replacement screw have the same thread pitch as the original, or is it inconsequential? It does appear to be a different screw. I'd rather not bugger up the original threads on the receiving end! Perhaps @Reldn may have some insight as well.

3. And lastly I like the design as it is mostly hidden. I do wonder if the vendor considered having it attach (anchored) on both sides instead of just the one. I would seem that there would be a lot of force/leverage on this plastic reinforcement part if and when the top of the visor gives up the ship! Having it anchored by the opposing screw on the other side of the anchor points might make this bullet proof. I do realize it would have to be redesigned to be longer and still be able to slide around the swivel of the sunvisor, but I do believe that would be feasible -especially since it is plastic and could possible snap into place. Make sense or am I overthinking it?

I figured I would direct these questions to you since you have already been in contact with the vendor. I do think it is a worthwhile acquisition and I am grateful that they developed these to solve what Jeep should have.

-Rockhopper

-Rockhopper

@Rockhopper

This vendor has heard so much from me this past few days that he is probably saying.... oh my, not him again... The vendor has been patient with me and a good communicator and very forthcoming.

I will keep your ? in mind when I do the install... when I get the offering which should be tomorrow..

I am curious in regard to the quality of the screws that will be sent... I already plan to use some cellophane over the tip of my Phillips head that I install with so as not to bugger up the heads of the screws..

I have been led to believe the screw is similar to the stock screw but longer.. The screw screws into a female that is metal...

I asked about using Loc-Tite ... manufacturer of the offering said it was not needed/necessary..

As for metal versus plastic in regard to the offering.... the black delrin, they are made of (Lazer cut black delrin) is very very stout... Known to deal very well with both high and low temps.. It should have no problem doing the intended job.. For sure I want the black delrin versus the flimsy molded ABS that the Chinese knockoffs are made from. I would rather not have metal.

As for your "comment".... I'll have to look at the offering once installed but I do think this simple approach offering will be all that is needed... I also think it will do the deed both as a repair and as a preventive thing..

Time will tell...... Hopefully, someone that installs this offering does not come back and say their visor(s) still broke.... For sure even the most stout visor can be broken if you man handle it or sic a kid or Wife on it.. 8-)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had wondered about that at first as well. I had figured it was some form of leftover residue from a mold-release agent or somesuch. It does indeed wipe right off. Good to know!

@Rock Hopper Here's a comparison of the original screw and the replacement for the clip. They seem to match up well enough aside from the new screws being longer, which, when accounting for the thickness of the clip the lengths equal out when installed. I don't think they'll really mess with the original receiving threads.
PXL_20211209_215000421.jpg
@Reldn

That stock screw in the pic...... is that how it looked when removed from a stock JL visor bracket... was that blue Lock-tite on it?

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? B7641B22-E427-421E-8EAA-5A5A498C8411
Thank you! The thread pitch looks identical and I understand the need to have them longer. It also looks like the original had loctite on it? Did you add any to the replacement screw or did you find it wasn't quite necessary?

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
@Rockhopper

This vendor has heard so much from me this past few days that he is probably saying.... oh my, not him again... The vendor has been patient with me and a good communicator and very forthcoming.

I will keep your ? in mind when I do the install... when I get the offering which should be tomorrow..

I am curious in regard to the quality of the screws that will be sent... I already plan to use some cellophane over the tip of my Phillips head that I install with so as not to bugger up the heads of the screws..

I have been led to believe the screw is similar to the stock screw but longer.. The screw screws into a female that is metal...

I asked about using Loc-Tite ... manufacturer of the offering said it was not needed/necessary..

As for metal versus plastic in regard to the offering.... the black delrin, they are made of (Lazer cut black delrin) is very very stout... Known to deal very well with both high and low temps.. It should have no problem doing the intended job.. For sure I want the black delrin versus the flimsy molded ABS that the Chinese knockoffs are made from. I would rather not have metal.

As for your "comment".... I'll have to look at the offering once installed but I do think this simple approach offering will be all that is needed... I also think it will do the deed both as a repair and as a preventive thing..

Time will tell...... Hopefully, someone that installs this offering does not come back and say their visor(s) still broke.... For sure even the most stout visor can be broken if you man handle it or sic a kid or Wife on it.. 8-)

LOL...couldn't agree more! Especially the last part...

"For sure even the most stout visor can be broken if you man handle it or sic a kid or Wife on it.."

My wife thought I was crazy for suggesting that she is "careful with the visor". I have to admit, I was embarrassed to even say it. Its a Jeep and should not be so fragile. Uggggh....

Reldn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Rubicon, '22 4Runner TRD Pro, '22 Ram 1500
@Rhinebeck01 @Rock Hopper

The stock screw came out looking like that. I think it's just blue paint though as they came loose quite easily. It may have been blue loctite, though. Not entirely certain.

I didn't apply any threadlocker to the new screws either, it didn't seem like it'd be necessary.

kilian73

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR (ordered 11/4)
Finished up my Diabolical slipstream install, quite a job, but it is one well engineered and solid product. Very happy with it, couple of quick drives today, with the top on and off, no noticeable rattles, in fact, the ride seems even quieter. I have a long ride tomorrow to check it out, but so far extremely happy.

diobolical 1.jpeg

Diobolical 2.jpeg
How much weight do you think you could
Installed a Warn evo vr10s via the Grimm off-road winch plate.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? B7641B22-E427-421E-8EAA-5A5A498C8411
I am thinking about getting a factor 55 flatlink. Can someone just come along and pop it off, or does it lock in place somehow?

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
How much weight do you think you could

I am thinking about getting a factor 55 flatlink. Can someone just come along and pop it off, or does it lock in place somehow?
If you can get to the handle to disengage the winch, pull it out some, and remove the retaining clip, it's yours.