What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Longhorn90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L
I installed my Rancho Rear glide plate today. The front glide plate the U-bolt just wasn't really long enough and didn't fit the top of casing well. It kept wanting to slip off onto driveshaft too.

I boxed back up and returned it today.

I am thinking of ordering the Rear Control Arm/Shock Skid guard too. How do you like them and any issue putting on? Too match the red glide plate too. Gives the Rubicon Red more.

I ordered the DV8 Skid plate instead. Same price as the Rancho was. It covers little more of the axle too. I might paint it red to match but not sure.
1629595924670.png
I wish Rancho had used a solid metal top bracket for the front diff plate like they did for the rear plate. I agree the u-bolt they use for front plate seemed a little sketchy. And that U-Bolt seemed short, but I got it started with just a couple threads. And when done, there were more than enough threads to stick out past end of nylocks after the u-bolt and tabs on plate flexed while I cinched it down. After fully tightening everything I really don’t think the u-bolt will move…I tried hard to make it slide off onto driveshaft but it wouldn’t…. but I’d still feel better with a solid bracket.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? D1E8BE51-9EAA-4F87-A3B2-ED16073B6E8F

Deleted member 59498

Took my jeep on the eagle canyon trail. Got some flex on 37”s just enough to make the wife freak out.
The climb back in the jeep was a little bit of a work out, had to be 4’ climb at the drivers seat.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? D1E8BE51-9EAA-4F87-A3B2-ED16073B6E8F

Is like super model swimsuit photo shoot!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my Rancho Rock Gear Rear diff Glide Plate. I was putting the same RRGR front glide plate on but did not like the U-Bolt. Does not fit well and wants to move down on shaft.

Rancho needs to correct their U-bolt for a better fit. Just to short and does not really fit well. Should be 1/4 longer and fit case mold better. Just my opinion.

I returned it and just ordered a DV8 Front Skid Plate. Same price as Rancho glide Plate.

Mine doesn't slide down to the shaft and fits fine. Maybe you got one out of spec? I've bashed the hell out of it, too, and it hasn't moved.

Longhorn90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am thinking of ordering the Rear Control Arm/Shock Skid guard too. How do you like them and any issue putting on? Too match the red glide plate too. Gives the Rubicon Red more.
The Rear Control Arm / Shock Skid Guard was pretty easy. Unbolted Control Arm and Shock on one side. Slid on Skid Guard, one side was a bit tighter fit than other initially…deploy rubber mallet. Insert new control arm bolt, reused old nut for it cuz Rancho gave a Nylock with fine instead of coarse threads (been doing this for over a year per Amazon feedback). Shock bolt was a pain because I was too lazy to jack it up and remove pressure on the Shock to line up bolt holes, so had to use some steel punches to fit the little bit of Shock hole showing and leverage it up until I could get a bolt started In the hole. Used their new Shock Bolt & Nut although I think reusing originals would easily still fit also. Repeat on other side.

I am very pleased with the look, fit and thickness!

Feel free to PM me with any more specific Q’s!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Added Rancho Rock Gear:
  • Front Diff Skid Guard
  • Rear Diff Skid Guard
  • Rear Control Arm / Shock Skid Guard
Picked these cuz they get good reviews and are red. I like having that splash of Rubicon Red against the dark Granite Crystal Paint. Probably go with MORE Engine and Transfer Case plates, just because they would be red and match ;)

Looks good! They take a beating, too! I've been on mine several times, pretty hard. I've put them front and rear on my JK. It's a little lower (33" tires) so they'll get even more of a workout on the trail.

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2Dr
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? C98FBF32-CF16-4709-A3A5-F9FAA6BABEF1

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? EB2FAAE4-BE68-44D4-80DE-AFF41D075701

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 59478DF3-7715-4C29-BD4A-6DD49C0A9AED
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 792242AA-F9F7-48E9-B0F4-31A235DBBD60

Added some rear view mirrors - of the motorcycle variety 🏍 Hat tip to @Rhinebeck01 for the tip on the motorcycle mirror solution posted on another thread.

They’re solid and tucked in nicely; a direct fit into the cowl bolt. I like the look - much better than some of the door hinge and/or handle mounted options.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I wish Rancho had used a solid metal top bracket for the front diff plate like they did for the rear plate. I agree the u-bolt they use for front plate seemed a little sketchy. And that U-Bolt seemed short, but I got it started with just a couple threads. And when done, there were more than enough threads to stick out past end of nylocks after the u-bolt and tabs on plate flexed while I cinched it down. After fully tightening everything I really don’t think the u-bolt will move…I tried hard to make it slide off onto driveshaft but it wouldn’t…. but I’d still feel better with a solid bracket.

D1E8BE51-9EAA-4F87-A3B2-ED16073B6E8F.jpeg
Yea, I just didn't fell right with the U-bolt. I see yours is on good. I just boxed it up and sent back. Went with the DV8. Bright side the DV8 covers more area around Axle.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1629602705004

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 1629602958367

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Running Ranchos , rock solid, no issues, I had to form the U bolt to fit the diff, but hasn’t budged, and it’s been knocked around quite a bit . The DV8 looks like a good one though.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? E978BDDC-F13A-4757-9FED-FDD94B332316

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Scratched up the front left and rear right fenders and put a large gash in the front left tire sidewall.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_1252

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_1253

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_1255

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_1254

Didn't want to risk driving it home so I found a flat concrete area to change tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_1251

This happened on a rock course at a local OHV area. Next time I'll make sure I have a spotter.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_1250

Last edited:

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Added Rancho Rock Gear:
  • Front Diff Skid Guard
  • Rear Diff Skid Guard
  • Rear Control Arm / Shock Skid Guard
Picked these cuz they get good reviews and are red. I like having that splash of Rubicon Red against the dark Granite Crystal Paint. Probably go with MORE Engine and Transfer Case plates, just because they would be red and match ;)

I'm running the same set up. Put my first gash in the control arm skid today.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_1258

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Running Ranchos , rock solid, no issues, I had to form the U bolt to fit the diff, but hasn’t budged, and it’s been knocked around quite a bit . The DV8 looks like a good one though.

E978BDDC-F13A-4757-9FED-FDD94B332316.jpeg
I almost sent PM to you about this but didn't. lol The Rear Plate went on great. Better bracket if you ask me. I think the DV8 will be good too. It covers more axle too. Reviews good. I might even paint it red. :rock:

Quick ? If I put the Rancho Rear Control Arm/Shock Skid Guard on should I jack wheel up to take pressure off the shock so it will line up without me trying to compress shock to line bolt hole back up?

Longhorn90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick ? If I put the Rancho Rear Control Arm/Shock Skid Guard on should I jack wheel up to take pressure off the shock so it will line up without me trying to compress shock to line bolt hole back up?
I didn’t. I used steel punches to fit in the part of shocks bolt hole I could see and leveraged the shock up until I could get the bolt in. Yeah, a jack would have been easier, but I was too lazy to get it out.