What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I think whine would be there from the start if not done right. Sounds like you had a good installer.

I'm at abour 350 or 400 miles on my 4.56 gears and they are quiet as a church mouse.

What make of rings/pinions did you get?
Yukon. They’re located here North of Seattle, so I think most local shops use them.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Question about break in. I’m going to regear to 4.56 on 35s (for now) and I’ll be driving back from shop doing the work. Combo of highway and street. It’s 300 miles about 7.5 hours. (Long story).
I’ve never regeared so what’s advice on break in?
You might need to ask the shop if they do the first several heat cycles. Even then, I’m not so sure. I was limited to 15-20 miles a run for my first 5 runs. I’m still limited to 65 mph even after that. You might meed to drive 20 miles, stop for 20-30 minutes the whole way home.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Need some truth from the forum community.

I got bigger tires 35s and may go to 37s. I noticed a difference going from stock to 35s. So naturally regear is a thought. I made 2 calls so far. My dealer service dept and AEV.
AEV was great and helpful. “We regear all the time and do it on all our builds. They quoted a price for parts and labor plus they will recalibrate and do break in. They’re also going to install their lift and bumpers. For a price of course.
When I called my dealer, their labor costs were anywhere 3-4x the AEV labor costs! Not surprised.
however Dealer service dept lead said there’s no way to regear to 4.56 on. JL. No parts and more importantly no service module sales code anymore to regear. There used to be a regear service code that we had in combination with tire size change but Sellantis removed the regear option. We can only calibrate for tire size now.

seems like AEV knows what they’re doing and dealer does not. Right? Or no?

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Question about break in. I’m going to regear to 4.56 on 35s (for now) and I’ll be driving back from shop doing the work. Combo of highway and street. It’s 300 miles about 7.5 hours. (Long story).
When I had my Gladiator regeared by @chevymitchell he did several heat cycles before I left then I stopped a couple times (once after 15 miles, 25 miles, then 50 miles with a 15 minute cooling period each stop). After that I drove the rest of the way home ~400 miles at 65-70. No issues.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
LOL...Tires are stupid right now.

Yep - custom 60/80 dynatracs (74" wide, 40 spline front inner/outer shafts), RK long arm kit, and king coilovers w/ Rebel offroad brackets to give them a try. Will order Trail Ready beads when it gets closer (king coilovers are due in May).
And here I am waiting for six weeks for a different front bumper because my current aftermarket bumper will not fit a Warn winch.

It will be exciting to watch your build eventually.

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
And here I am waiting for six weeks for a different front bumper because my current aftermarket bumper will not fit a Warn winch.

It will be exciting to watch your build eventually.

Cool! Which bumper are you coming from and going to? I'll be making a thread for my build once it comes in. The Jeep supposedly has a ship/build date of 8/18.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm no expert, but what my installer told me was to go easy (less than 60mph) the first 100 miles, and vary the speed. He said to drive 15 to 20 minutes, then stop for 20 or so to let the bearings cool, then do that again a couple more times. I think I did 3 cycles like that, then just drove normally, but varied the speed from 0 to 55 until I hit 150 or so miles. Then I couldn't take it anymore and jumped on it, Lol!

That said, he told me he re-geared his TJ and the very first time he drove it was straight to the highway and all the way to Moab, at full speed. That's a 22 hour trip! (I'm sure he broke it at least in two with an overnight stay.) He said it didn't hurt anything, as far as he could tell. He ran the trails out there for a few days then drove all the way back!

So here's what I'd do. I'd map out a route starting with country back roads. Any city streets would be good if part of the route. I'd run 15 minutes the first time, then stop for 20 to let bearings cool. Then I'd run 20 minutes, stop for 20. then I'd run 30 and stop for 20. Then I'd quit the stop/go and just try to vary the speed, staying under 55mph. At 100 miles, I'd be fine on state highways or US highways, maxing out at 60mph, but still varying it as much as I could. After 150 miles I'd get back on the interstate and drive normally. That's a pretty conservative plan that I think any manufacturer would say is very safe.

Really, just the first 100 miles is probably the most critical. Maybe even just the first 50. But from what I've gathered, it is not the gear teeth most needing the break-in, but rather the bearings. They get hot early in the break-in, until they get a little wear and the tolerances loosen up.

I'm planning on the first gear oil change at around 1,000 miles. Many say to do it at 500, but I don't think that first change is quite that critical. I think you could go well beyond 1,000. But gear oil is cheap, so why not?

Also, my installer ran 80w90 conventional for the break-in. I'll probably go right to 75w140 synthetic at the first change. He said the 80w90 was recommended by Dana/Spicer. Other ring/pinion companies might vary slightly in their recommendations.

I hope this helps!

I'd also get the opinion of @chevymitchell or @Grinch. Those guys know FAR more than I do from experience. I'm just more of a parrot.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

I got bigger tires 35s and may go to 37s. I noticed a difference going from stock to 35s. So naturally regear is a thought. I made 2 calls so far. My dealer service dept and AEV.
AEV was great and helpful. “We regear all the time and do it on all our builds. They quoted a price for parts and labor plus they will recalibrate and do break in. They’re also going to install their lift and bumpers. For a price of course.
When I called my dealer, their labor costs were anywhere 3-4x the AEV labor costs! Not surprised.
however Dealer service dept lead said there’s no way to regear to 4.56 on. JL. No parts and more importantly no service module sales code anymore to regear. There used to be a regear service code that we had in combination with tire size change but Sellantis removed the regear option. We can only calibrate for tire size now.

That dealer is ignorant. But they may be right from a factory perspective. Not sure. Just use a Tazer or whatever AEV has, or maybe Superchips and there might be others, and you can calibrate the axle ratio and tire size.

By the way, if going 37's, I'd recommend 4.88. From all I've gathered, and from what I've felt with mine, 4.56 is the sweet spot for 35's and 4.88 is the bullseye for 37's. The auto might do a little better with 4.56 and 37's, but that's just an educated guess.

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
I installed Mopar steel skid plate with the ebay rubicon knock off front bumper. Only mod i had to do was remove about 1/4 or less metal from winch plate bracket. When putting it together the skid plate brackets where hitting the winch plate brackets, but all good now.

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
Curious question about re-gearing? Why do they need to be broken in? When buying a new vehicle the only "break-in is motor" nothing about gears?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Curious question about re-gearing? Why do they need to be broken in? When buying a new vehicle the only "break-in is motor" nothing about gears?
I've heard there is a chemical break-in process used by the factory. Technically it's an aftermarket option too, but I'm guessing its pricey. People would rather break them in the old way.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller

I think it depends on whether the dealer is comfortable with aftermarket stuff. Some stick to Mopar. Good news, with the new package there are new gears (presumably available through Mopar), so you might be able to get them eventually. Don't be surprised if the dealer says they can only swap the whole axle though.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I did ask them about the fact that recon pkg from factory offers 4.56 gears and he said it’s not an add on after that fact yet. May a year from now …. He did say he could regear to 4.84 but could not recalibrate software bc they don’t have ability to. 1. I thought it was 4.88 not 4.84. 2. I’m not confident in their abilities beyond standard stuff. AEV looking strong at this point.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
My Ursa Minor top finally has been built and is off to paint… so I put the 50% deposit down today. Hopefully I’ll have it in the jeep by the end of the month!