First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great :like: They are definitely meatier :). Small lift in your future?

Many thanks.... Potentially, perhaps, quite possibly, maybe............... ;)

mini_cal

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
Finally picked up my Jeep on Saturday so I’ve just been slapping on the parts I’ve accumulated.

4540BB89-B41E-48AF-8D43-6AB20C8C8EE5.jpeg
4FF6BD87-62BF-4549-9A2D-A4B30280D4AB.jpeg

• Bedrug headliner
  • Husky cargo liner
  • AVS in channel window/rain guards
  • Hitch receiver
  • Generic dual exhaust (sounds good!)
  • Bestop Sunrider
Also eyed up my new wheels to see how they look on the Jeep, pretty close to the Sting Grey 😆
1E3D7960-DB38-4551-A3AB-53A8BA3A3517.jpeg

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unencumbered
Looks like the people who thought I was crazy for mounting my compressor and tank in a Hauk MULE skid plate were right. That ugly clunk I heard halfway through that deep mud puddle was apparently me bashing the shit out of my compressor setup.

a.jpg
I was curious about your choice, but I never said you were crazy. ;)

W4ZWA

First Name
Zack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willy’s
Occupation
Public Safety
Installed clear corners from Diode. Thanks for everyone who pointed this out recently.
I got a pair coming tomorrow. I think the clear reflectors look much better, especially on yours.

mini_cal

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
Thoughts so far? I'm considering these vs the Weathertech ones. Do they have one continuous tab that mounts them, or are they several small tabs?
front ones have a tab that goes between the door trim and weather seal by the mirror. One long one on top that goes in channel and one down the back that goes in channel.

Rear ones have 2 tabs that go in channel and at the back one tab sticks on the outside against the rubber track

they seem pretty solid. I’ve used AVS products in the past and they last really long. Plus the in channel ones are clamped down most of the time by your windows.

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I got a pair coming tomorrow. I think the clear reflectors look much better, especially on yours.
Thanks! Good luck with the install. Make sure the T30 torx you use is skinny enough to get through. Looks very clean and a great product by Diode.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I was curious about your choice, but I never said you were crazy. ;)
You might as well. If going with that setup wasn't crazy, putting it back together was. I expected to get up early, slap that back together, and go wheeling today. Not remotely true. A trip to Tractor Supply for longer bolts. A trip to Harbor Freight for a C-clamp. On and on. Here was the pile of tools at the end of the day:

1627959014310.png

You know what you don't see there? A soldering iron. I went with the heat shrink butt connectors. When I turned the compressor on, nothing happened. :angry:

So now I guess I'm going to grab the lanterns and the head lamp, and go solder those connections in the dark. Yee ha!

So I guess now we should take bets how long it will be before I nail that drain nipple and have to unbolt all of this shit in order to fix it. If that becomes necessary, I will probably ditch this whole thing at that point. Also, the front bracket is very bendy after its trip through my forge, and I figure if this thing takes one more shot, it's gone. I guess it's time to look at a skid plate to protect my skid plate. Lift, wheels, and tires are just going to be too much, even if I sell my truck. I've decided to look at body armor instead.

1627959296294.png

LittleDog

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Looks like the people who thought I was crazy for mounting my compressor and tank in a Hauk MULE skid plate were right. That ugly clunk I heard halfway through that deep mud puddle was apparently me bashing the shit out of my compressor setup.

a.jpg

b.jpg

I only notice this, because I was going to change the drain valve again. That pull cord style I put on a few weeks ago just sucked. I replaced it with a quarter turn ball valve style. Since the powder coat was forked anyway, I used my die grinder to carve out an exit for the nipple. This will help me drain the tank more completely (and it was full of rusty muck water, so this was a necessary mod).

1627873330391.png

1627873357582.png

I got the bracket straightened out pretty well. I destroyed the powder coat in so doing. The best way I could figure was to just throw the sucker in my forge, and hammer it out on the anvil. (I made those tongs, by the way.)

1627873475508.png

Here's another view of my tongs. I've made a lot of tongs that sucked, but I nailed it with this pair. They're very useful.

1627873542681.png

So now I've quit early, and I'm drinking some booze while waiting on the paint to dry. I guess I'm going to have to get up early tomorrow to get this back together in time if I want to go wheeling, and I do want to go wheeling.

1627873600434.png

1627873637933.png

Also, I ordered differential skid plates tonight. Yeah, I could easily hit one of the pumpkins, and if I peeled the cover back and let all the slippy juice out, I would be totally screwed.

I have also re-evaluated my decision to stay with the Rubicon takeoff lift. I don't think it's enough to run 35s, and under the circumstances, this trail may be green, but it's obviously bad enough to do some very serious damage. I don't think settling for 33s seems like such a good plan now. This also means I need a regear. Probably 4.56. I have no idea who I can get to perform the regear in a reasonable amount of time, and I need to figure that out next.

Oh, I'm selling my truck to pay for all this. It's time to let it go. I have another truck. It will be okay.

Ha, noticed the anvil in the photos before you even mentioned it. Neat tongs. Much cooler than the c-clamp locking pliers or marring pipe wrenches I use in my cold forge. (Read: general area that I use for hitting stuff with large hammers)

Must have been a big hit to dent that MULE skid. That sucks. Thought that it was a neat install when you posted it. I wanted to use one to hold a water tank.

I'm jealous of your forge and other tools, and therefore have no sympathy for your selling a truck. Looking forward to your fix.

Some Random Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Subaru BRZ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Comptroller

a.jpg

b.jpg

I only notice this, because I was going to change the drain valve again. That pull cord style I put on a few weeks ago just sucked. I replaced it with a quarter turn ball valve style. Since the powder coat was forked anyway, I used my die grinder to carve out an exit for the nipple. This will help me drain the tank more completely (and it was full of rusty muck water, so this was a necessary mod).

1627873330391.png

1627873357582.png

I got the bracket straightened out pretty well. I destroyed the powder coat in so doing. The best way I could figure was to just throw the sucker in my forge, and hammer it out on the anvil. (I made those tongs, by the way.)

1627873475508.png

Here's another view of my tongs. I've made a lot of tongs that sucked, but I nailed it with this pair. They're very useful.

1627873542681.png

So now I've quit early, and I'm drinking some booze while waiting on the paint to dry. I guess I'm going to have to get up early tomorrow to get this back together in time if I want to go wheeling, and I do want to go wheeling.

1627873600434.png

1627873637933.png

Also, I ordered differential skid plates tonight. Yeah, I could easily hit one of the pumpkins, and if I peeled the cover back and let all the slippy juice out, I would be totally screwed.

I have also re-evaluated my decision to stay with the Rubicon takeoff lift. I don't think it's enough to run 35s, and under the circumstances, this trail may be green, but it's obviously bad enough to do some very serious damage. I don't think settling for 33s seems like such a good plan now. This also means I need a regear. Probably 4.56. I have no idea who I can get to perform the regear in a reasonable amount of time, and I need to figure that out next.

Oh, I'm selling my truck to pay for all this. It's time to let it go. I have another truck. It will be okay.
Glad I went ARB twin instead of trying to save a few hundred with Viair and the bottom mounted tank. Now that I have locking whips, any extra fill time doesn’t bother me because I’m sitting in the A/C drinking/snacking.
You might as well. If going with that setup wasn't crazy, putting it back together was. I expected to get up early, slap that back together, and go wheeling today. Not remotely true. A trip to Tractor Supply for longer bolts. A trip to Harbor Freight for a C-clamp. On and on. Here was the pile of tools at the end of the day:

1627959014310.png

You know what you don't see there? A soldering iron. I went with the heat shrink butt connectors. When I turned the compressor on, nothing happened. :angry:

So now I guess I'm going to grab the lanterns and the head lamp, and go solder those connections in the dark. Yee ha!

So I guess now we should take bets how long it will be before I nail that drain nipple and have to unbolt all of this shit in order to fix it. If that becomes necessary, I will probably ditch this whole thing at that point. Also, the front bracket is very bendy after its trip through my forge, and I figure if this thing takes one more shot, it's gone. I guess it's time to look at a skid plate to protect my skid plate. Lift, wheels, and tires are just going to be too much, even if I sell my truck. I've decided to look at body armor instead.

1627959296294.png
I’m still jealous of your handiness and design ideas. I’m confident the next iteration will be better if it does come to that!

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Dropped it off at the dealer to get my rear camera replaced.

SurfMacJpMtb

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jp JLU Rubi, 17 Jp GC WK2 Quadra-Drive II
first oil change, five tire rotation, new spare scrub, a little dusting under the hood....back to enjoying the jp

WheelsASAP