First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I skipped the trip to the alignment shop. It actually wasn't raining, in spite of the forecast, so I took the opportunity to install the rear bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? a

I'm not totally sure how I feel about that new gap at the back, but it sure is satisfying to have something solid, instead of what my son called "the black pudding." The rear plastic bumper is such a joke.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? b

I like how tucked up and clean it looks back here now. I'm a convert who bought into the Factor 55 closed system propaganda, and I like having shackle mounts instead of an open hook back here.

I broke one of the LED tag light bolts during installation, and I think I'm going to go an entirely different way. While I was shopping alternatives, I realized it's possible to buy so many lighting components on Amazon that I can put together just about any kind of off-road lighting rig I want for the time it would take to piece it together. I may do that. I want more lights up front, but I want to keep it minimalist and clean. I'm still getting good gas mileage, and I don't want to install a bunch of new sources of drag. Every mod I make to this thing makes it that much crappier on gas mileage, and since I had to sell my truck to pay for all these parts, I have to daily the thing for the next several years.

Also, I spent a lot of time poking around with the Grimm Jeeper calculator, weighing my options on tires and wheels and spare tire carriers and whatsuch, and I have pretty much settled on Yukon 4.11 gears and 295/70R17 tires. Either KM3s or X3s. Everything is a compromise unless you just have a bottomless budget, and that seems like where I'm going to aim. One of these days, but not anytime soon. It depends on how fast I burn off the stock tires, and at my current rate of wear, they will be shot in 15,000 miles.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
On the TJ's (not sure about JK's), the drag link was connected directly to the tie rod. So when you added a lift, it would affect the total toe setting. Since the JL's drag link is connected to the passenger side knuckle, it doesn't influence the toe setting when you lift your suspension.
You can't adjust camber without going to crazy extremes, and I should have fixed the caster with the new LCAs, so the toe is the only thing that could be off, right? It drives absolutely fine, and rides like new again. I have gotten rid of that sagged out, overloaded feeling, and I love the new stance.

The steering is very slightly off-center now. Barely enough to even notice. I could fix that by tweaking the drag link, I think. I may just skip the trip to the alignment shop entirely. I still need to get more torque on these fasteners, but up on ramps would be close enough to down on the ground, and that would get me more swing.

Either way, I missed my chance to go to the alignment shop for the next two weeks, unless I want to drive 75 miles per day in a 1977 Ford F350 with a 390 that gets suuuuper crappy gas mileage.

Rlhdude

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Limited Willys
I skipped the trip to the alignment shop. It actually wasn't raining, in spite of the forecast, so I took the opportunity to install the rear bumper.

I'm not totally sure how I feel about that new gap at the back, but it sure is satisfying to have something solid, instead of what my son called "the black pudding." The rear plastic bumper is such a joke.

I like how tucked up and clean it looks back here now. I'm a convert who bought into the Factor 55 closed system propaganda, and I like having shackle mounts instead of an open hook back here.

I broke one of the LED tag light bolts during installation, and I think I'm going to go an entirely different way. While I was shopping alternatives, I realized it's possible to buy so many lighting components on Amazon that I can put together just about any kind of off-road lighting rig I want for the time it would take to piece it together. I may do that. I want more lights up front, but I want to keep it minimalist and clean. I'm still getting good gas mileage, and I don't want to install a bunch of new sources of drag. Every mod I make to this thing makes it that much crappier on gas mileage, and since I had to sell my truck to pay for all these parts, I have to daily the thing for the next several years.

Also, I spent a lot of time poking around with the Grimm Jeeper calculator, weighing my options on tires and wheels and spare tire carriers and whatsuch, and I have pretty much settled on Yukon 4.11 gears and 295/70R17 tires. Either KM3s or X3s. Everything is a compromise unless you just have a bottomless budget, and that seems like where I'm going to aim. One of these days, but not anytime soon. It depends on how fast I burn off the stock tires, and at my current rate of wear, they will be shot in 15,000 miles.
Nice, which rear bumper is that?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can't adjust camber without going to crazy extremes, and I should have fixed the caster with the new LCAs, so the toe is the only thing that could be off, right? It drives absolutely fine, and rides like new again. I have gotten rid of that sagged out, overloaded feeling, and I love the new stance.

The steering is very slightly off-center now. Barely enough to even notice. I could fix that by tweaking the drag link, I think. I may just skip the trip to the alignment shop entirely. I still need to get more torque on these fasteners, but up on ramps would be close enough to down on the ground, and that would get me more swing.

Either way, I missed my chance to go to the alignment shop for the next two weeks, unless I want to drive 75 miles per day in a 1977 Ford F350 with a 390 that gets suuuuper crappy gas mileage.
Camber can only be adjusted with off-set ball joints (which I don't think are available for the JL yet) or with different camber sleeves (not the right terminology, but these are the inserts which go into the upper ball joint holes on the knuckles).

Yes, longer LCA's will give you a higher caster number. If it "feels" good while driving (ie. the steering isn't twitchy or flighty at higher speed) then your caster is probably good. With a decent angle finder, you can check your own caster.

To get the steering wheel straight, adjust the drag link. It usually doesn't take much turning on the adjuster to move the steering wheel. If the steering wheel gets too far off center, you'll get an error message on your dash.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 392 Wrangler
Occupation
Retirement From Oil Refinery

I have done many lifts & never had an alignment hundreds of miles with perfect tire wear, you can easily adjust your steering with the drag link , the only time i do an alignment is when i replaced the tie-rod and adjust the toe

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
Just picked her up last Monday. Dropping her off today to get 1st detail and ceramic coating, interior stain protectant, etc.

Last week I:

- installed weathertech cargo liner that goes under the back seats.
- mopar screen protector (botched both with bubbles, will try again)
- mopar all weather mats (cut carpet out and properly installed with plug)
- new center console tray
- cup holder inserts

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I saw this and wondered why you would do this. Bet it was a mess.

There is a Jeep commercial that I wondered why someone would do this to a New Jeep.

This commercial is just crazy for someone to do this to a New Jeep. Leather seats etc.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/o9bp/jeep-gladiator-someone-new-to-play-with-song-by-bobby-darin-t2
Nah really wasn't that bad. It was just dirty water, not hunks of mud. Had the interior cleaned, top and doors on, within 2 and half hours (a bit more than two beers.) The interior looks better than when the weekend started. Well... this isn't entirely true. I still haven't cleaned the spiderweb shade or the seats yet, or the floor mats. I got the exterior mostly done good enough for a Jeep. My plan is to go to manual car wash to hose off the floor mats and spiderweb shade with their brush, once that's done and dry, I'll be pulling the top and doors back off then cleaning the seats. Truly for cleaning time left, I suspect I have maybe an hour left (about one beer) including the top and door removal. Was going to do it yesterday but when I got done with work storms were brewing and despite my general "I don't care" attitude I don't want to go driving to a car wash in a hailstorm (because someone will be hiding out in there and I won't be able to get in to do the cleaning).

As for why, well I bought a Jeep to use (and abuse). This is my 5th Jeep, first was a 1952, last was a 2003. They all led hard lives but never seemed to be too bothered by it. I'll keep this thing for 10+ years again and will have plenty of fun memories in it, none of which will be me worried about it getting dirty. I know some people treat their Jeeps that way, and I've had my nice cars before. To me, Jeeps look better if they're dirty and have a story to tell.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Lol. Quite a few years back my 16yr old buried our TJ in mud with no top and half doors. There was more mud on inside of windshield then out. He had fun cleaning that :LOL:
He never did that again
Oh yeah, one of my TJs ended up stuck in a mud pit at an offroad park (I was grabbing third gear in 4 high as I launched into the mud pit and it stuck like dart). A built F350 grenaded his transfer case trying to pull me out. Ended up taking a tractor. Mud is one of those things I tend to not play in. Not so much because looks but for years you'll be fighting with mud whenever you're working under the Jeep. None of the tricks I've found ever get it all out. Not sure how your kid did with the TJ, but what I found is the easiest way to clean the inside of the windshield is to just lay it down. If it's really bad just take it off and hit it with the hose first.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday took out rear seats. Dog very happy.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 8DF0606F-E5D8-43D3-91AE-CEA34639ADEA

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 8DF0606F-E5D8-43D3-91AE-CEA34639ADEA

Wish I could have dog again to ride with me. I miss my first dog. Now 2nd wife is allergic to dog hair. Pops up hives instantly. 😔

SkanTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Wish I could have dog again to ride with me. I miss my first dog. Now 2nd wife is allergic to dog hair. Pops up hives instantly. 😔
You should try an Australian Labradoodle. They were bred as allergy friendly therapy dogs. You pay a premium for them through a reputable breeder, but they are worth it. My son and wife are very allergic to dogs and we tried multiple “hypo-allergenic” breeds with no success. Then we found this breed. My wife and son have had no reactions. A good breeder will let you spend some time with their dogs to see if any reactions happen.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? 9B303B38-84DE-4ADA-950A-E66E1CDAA6B4